Being able to have my character get better, not just the gear

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Zygrograxgra, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Archangel

Archangel Void-Bound Voyager

Well my point is, characters in Terraria that were really geared-out were way more OP than ones with basic gear, and it wasn't a big deal because people usually loved starting new characters anyway. I've "played through" Terraria at least 8 times lol.
    Honestly, either way, the stats that your char gained just from gear were just the same as leveling anyway, basically, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. riven311

riven311 Orbital Explorer

i like a RPG feel to a game like this. do like to put this out there in a way. what if takes skills to learn dif race tech. so lets say you start with all race A and make every thing in that tree of items. then comes to race B. where you maybe only make the easy of items and have to work your way up the tree. this may as well lead to mix race items. so say race A has....tea. race B has something they have like it as well. they mix the two may get some thing more powerful or what ever the case be.

3. Coolitic

Coolitic Big Damn Hero

I think they already implemented character leveling into the game. So dont worry =D trust the developers.

4. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Personally i dont feel for this,im sorry,as said,i dont wanna run over dat n this n those with plasma rifle buttnaked and shooting every crap wich i see,BUTt! i support this as skills with cooking chemistry and so on,so events,things wich doesnt collide with players each other...but please no world of warcraft style,if the wow would be realistic,level one will own with bonus 80+,just...what doesnt depends on player player,yes i support it,but the game itself is about that,look at yourself in real life,now imagine that outside is -20 and youre naked completely,you cannot get XPs and run outta here and yell "hey buttshits im lvl 20 and your cock is freezin HOHO" no,you have to do it in Starbound style,get some clothes to protect your poor body,or get implants to improve your body resistance againts dangerous enviroment,or just get some stompy mech....Good idea,but on bad place..

5. Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

Maybe passives, because the hotkeys are already full with item management.

6. Meow-kitty

Meow-kitty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I believe that is an opinion and I personally believe that the game will even exceed its potential without a form of RPG progression.

Dragrath, DeadlyLuvdisc and SmoothGuy like this.
  7. Skulblaka

Skulblaka Subatomic Cosmonaut

What if you have experience go up for individual weapons, a la Infinity Blade? There aren't any "weapon class" experience levels, but rather the more you use a particular weapon, you become more familiar with THAT INDIVIDUAL weapon and its stats raise to a point? Your character grows familiar with that rusty flintlock that you've been using for the past two months and becomes better at operating it, however if you equip a different weapon (even a different rusty flintlock) it starts at base stats.

8. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I am against adding the standard 'leveling up' system because it really does chastise players that want to go through trial and error. However, if there was a 'side grade' system that would be excellent. An example would be +1% damage -1% attack speed, this way the weapon does improve to show the characteristics that you want it to show without it actually being better than the original gun. As a player uses a gun a lot the more drastic the effects of the side-grade can become, though they can choose to stop side-grading at any point.

9. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

I like the idea of skills/stats which you can level up. Maybe small increments per level. 1% here, 2% there.
    And then skills which add special effects...things like 'rain heals you' or 'more HP at night'.

10. Vanguard

Vanguard Space Spelunker

This is a no-brainer! This would be a great addition. Watching my character grow is a good feeling.
    We could also maybe use some kinda "xp" value thing like "Nanopixels" to upgrade armor and weapon. This should be gained from quests

11. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

I like to add XP into games,man..look.. :/ i just dont like much when your character runs around "Nearly" buttnaked,and youre hitting him with hugeass RPG,wich gives him even minor damage,thats what im worried about that More into "MMO" system,i just like when visual/damage experience is balanced,so real hi tech suit will really protect you,and clothes will not protect you much....its all about that i cant take that someone will have laser,but youll have some overhyped suit wich is simply filled with XP and upgraded over nine thousand,allright,its good to have upgrades,but not overupgraded so your suit will be nearly impossible to defeat compared to poor desing,dont take this as offense please,im just saying...:/

12. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

So I can gain the ability to do backflips and stuff and pick-up chuncks of terrain to throw at enemies and sing:
    "YOU GOT THE MOVES! YOU GOT THE POOOOWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

13. proffejor

proffejor Title Not Found

Existing games like Minecraft and Terraria have after-market mods that allow for an RPG-ier experience (MCMMO and Toparia come to mind) and it is VERY likely that StarBound will end up with similar treatment eventually. I personally don't see a NEED for it, and I do see it causing a delay in the games release, as game balance (which currently would be based on the item based power level we know about) would have to be modified to make sure that as your weapon skill increases AND you get better gear the mobs get nasty enough to provide a challenge.

If people want stat increases enough that the developers add them, I'd rather see them implemented in a different way. Something like a Gun expert NPC, who will increase your weapons firing rate with all weapons by a percent or two if you can shoot all the targets in a course he has set up within a limited time. Other challenges could allow for other stat upgrades. Then people that want better stats could earn them, but it wouldn't interfere with people that just wanted to play through the game and not have to feel that they are under-powered because they don't have time to grind for hours.

Dragrath and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  14. Qader

Qader Void-Bound Voyager

15. dylstew

dylstew Phantasmal Quasar

I don't like this idea at all. Leveling systems kind of give the illusion of getting stronger, while actually aquiring different weapons/gear that do different things actually change things. Just compare The legend of Zelda: a link to the past or Megaman X to most RPG's or MMORPG"s.
    It's also kind of the big difference between Metroid and the new castlevanias they call ''metroidvanias'' Many of the items just have different stats and pretty much useless , and leveling doesn't make things much better.

Qader and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  16. Werj

Werj Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of a light leveling system. Though, I don't think it should be anything too drastic giving someone a large-scale advantage.

LordHavoc and SmoothGuy like this.
  17. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed, having a 'low impact' leveling wouldn't be game braking - and a plus to that would give a framework for modders to adapt to create an RPG-like mod

18. Dunham18

Dunham18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

not a bad idea id say leveling and only leveling i dont want skills or starbound being a rpg

SmoothGuy likes this.
  19. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I hate experience points and leveling up. Item Progression is better in all cases, imo.

Basically, I think Item Progression is more helpful for people who want to do speed runs, and it also gives more things for people to collect if they want to take their time. It makes it much easier to switch your abilities and experience other play styles without having to make a new character from scratch, or spend resources to retrain your abilities. It is better for PvP because the players can have even footing without having to spend hours maxing out all the skills they plan to use. If grinding for experience is eliminated, it gives you more time to explore and find new abilities and items, which is the focus of the game.

I think that if you want something to represent your character growing in skill, YOU the player should grow in skill. For example, over several hours of playing the game you learn more about what to expect, which battles you can handle and which are too dangerous, you become better at dodging projectiles and timing your attacks, etc... And as a result, your character lives longer and is less likely to die.

Of course, you are welcome to disagree. I just don't think turning Starbound into an RPG is the best idea.

EDIT: Also, I don't even like the idea of "light leveling" systems. They still feel like a waste of time to me.

dylstew likes this.
  20. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I say no to XP but perhaps you could obtain/craft(w/ extremely advanced tech if at all) items that would permanently grant a character an ability...