1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Being a tester seems out of reach..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Demon Boy, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

You should definitely invite some youtubers!!!! Slyfox, Pbat, the Yogscast, so we can get some glimpses of the game from good commentators. WHOS WITH ME!!!!

2. Teddeck

Teddeck Orbital Explorer

Having well-known commentators do something like that will generate absolutely silly amounts of publicity, so they probably want to wait on that until they get the major features squared away. Jesse Cox (OMFGcata) would be a great one to contact, since he's already associated with Terraria.

3. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

I really don't want p-bat to be a beta tester he will play for like a week then say to hell with it i don't like this game anymore and then he'll never play it again. That's what happened to terraria and all his other lets plays except for a few of them.

4. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

Well yes of course they would, but also the beta testing probably wont start anyways before that. the other people I mentioned also were in the beta for terraria. And we mustn't forget TOTAL BISCUIT
    He does. true. Slyfox yes though. I honestly dont really like pbat either.

5. For everybody who wants to be an Alpha/Beta Tester I will explain from my personal experience:

1) If you think that you will just get Beta version of Starbound from Tiy to play for your own fun - you're wrong. Beta versions are 97% of times are buggy as hell, so you won't be able to enjoy smooth and nice gameplay. Forget about playing at all, think about this as of volunteer's work.

2) Your objective as of Beta Tester is to find and report ALL possible bugs, errors and all other things that seem and feel wrong. It's hellish work, because you need to click EVERY pixel, check any possibility such as: if there is crafting system - try to combine Chair with Table and if it combines to Railgun - you need to report it. I can put here lots of example, but I prefer to stick to the easy one: Chair + Table = Railgun.

3) Reporting bugs aren't easy task too. You can't just write in the forum "Hey Tiy, I found that if you combine Chair with Table you get Railgun", because it won't help developers to solve and fix it. You need to write complete sequence of actions you've taken to reproduce your bug, including how far in pixels you were from workbench, what other items were in your inventory, what was equipped on your character, where located workbench, on what floor, what was made floor from (wood, stones, etc), important to make 3 - 7 screenshots, where you can show how you're reproducing the bug.

4) You will enjoy Beta Testing only if you:
    * Like to code scripts and write programs for your own fun, instead of just playing the game.
    * Work as Forensics Investigator, Malware Analyzer, Reverse Engineer or System Administrator and you like it.
    * Game Developer by yourself and you do like to create games, because Beta Testing is part of game development.
    * Really want to help to Tiy's team to create something great, that will turn whole world upside down.

5) You must be responsible. It means, if you got to closed alpha/beta test, you won't drop and forget about it after playing around for week, because you're bored from it. You must work hard as much as your life and free time allows it, because if developers choose you to help them with beta testing that means they count on you, they count on your help and they will wait for your reports and feedback about current status and progress of Beta Test from you and other people they have chosen.

6. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

I dont want to beta test anymore.

DevonDe and Demon Boy like this.
  7. Billybob-Mario

Billybob-Mario Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or it could be like Minecraft.

8. Zygrograxgra

Zygrograxgra Over 9000!!!

I both do and do not want to beta test.
    I do because I can spot issues after a short while of playing, which I do constantly in every game I've ever played. Nothing gets by me unless it does nothing.
    I do not because I am not organized, and thus will have issues reporting bugs and the like.

9. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

Exactly. I doubt most people really knew the true meaning of being a beta tester.
    You're gonna be playing a game that will most likely have constant crashes, and weird s*** going on.
    Don't think of beta as an early, fun, playable version of the game (which Minecraft did)

10. Etalyx

Etalyx Void-Bound Voyager

Almost four months later and we're still having these arguments about what betas should and shouldn't be, and whether people should make videos, and everything in between. How about we all just wait to see what the developers want to do and respect their wishes? If they want to restrict beta access to a minuscule portion of the population, I will long to be apart of that. If they widen it up, that's wonderful. If they allow people to make videos, you'll be able to avoid watching them. If they don't give permission, people like me will have to wait until they do give permission. It's that simple really.

11. The Mute One

The Mute One Phantasmal Quasar

Just be glad it's out of reach. Beta testing probably isn't the best thing for you to do unless you've done it before and you enjoy coding.

12. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

I don't see how coding has anything to do with it.
    You're not programming the fixes for the game, you're just looking for bugs.

13. Zygrograxgra

Zygrograxgra Over 9000!!!

And giving possibly giving ideas on how to fix it, depending on who you're testing for.

14. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Attached Files:

EpicTurdle likes this.
  15. Falcon42

Falcon42 Starship Captain

Whether or not there's an open or closed beta and whether or not I get chosen, I look at it the bright way. We'll all be happy if or when a beta is released and for all the right reasons. Starbound is amazing, already it is, without even being released. Of course I want to be chosen for a beta but I won't be banging my head into a brick wall if I'm not. There's gonna' be that one guy that films himself playing the Beta. I mean, heck, Re-Digit and Blue made a 23-part Let's Play of Terraria while it was in Alpha Stage, and don't you think that whoever is chosen as Beta Testers would film their own Let's Play? Whatever happens, I'll be glad when the beta is out, and so will everyone else.

16. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they allow people to film their gameplay with Starbound I really hope a famous Let's Play'er gets into the closed beta because it would add even more popularity to this great game and would be fun to watch. I like the idea of Seananners doing a Let's Play of Starbound since he was how I found out about Terraria. There's always a chance that if it's a closed beta the testers will have to sign an agreement saying they wont record and release gameplay footage to the public or show anyone (which I do and don't understand).

17. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Tiy and Blue are different people.

18. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Also, there were like, 23 parts.

19. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

With a game where a login is required, such as the MMO genre, it is much simpler to manage leaks and piracy. Look at the Terraria Leak(s) for example. They thought they had trusted people testing. I don't blame anyone who wants to keep the lid on things until they are ready.

I would only want to test if I could avoid every aspect of the storyline, but my heart is not set on testing. I know there is probably much better people for the job.

20. Falcon42

Falcon42 Starship Captain

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU- No Wait. Yes I know Blue is that guy who left the forums which made me sad, but I do believe that Tiy's name WAS Blue in that Let's Play and for the record,
    There were 6 or 7 parts. I promise you. The youtube user is "demilogic". Look it up on Youtube man. EDIT: Never mind, you were right. I was thinking of PBat's Let's Play or something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.