1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Been away for a very long time. Question about planets

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Towerbooks3192, May 26, 2015.

1. Towerbooks3192

Towerbooks3192 Void-Bound Voyager

Last I played was way back when following mission ends up with you fighting the UFO boss after crafting that radar thing. I gave the game a long time to mature and I just jumped back in.

Now I got questions about the planets and the randomness and stuff. Why do my characters always start on the same system and on the same map? Am I stuck with the same galaxy? How do planets and universe work now? Also,the size, is there a limit to the galaxy or is it preset or what?

Lastly, I remember their used to be a map of progress on the site back then. Any chance where we could find a progress map for the dev goals or something?

NerArth and DrgnKakashi like this.
  2. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

All characters in the same universe folder share the same starting planet at the moment. This is probably temporary but not necessarily a bad thing. It's a way of allowing people to quickly skip past tutorial steps by having stockpiled the necessary items in storage on the starter planet.

Yes you are stuck with the same galaxy(unless you edit the seed for which the universe is generated), but the galaxy is a really really really big place. Planets have just 1 surface biome now with a sub biome, but can have many underground biomes. also there's a lot more stuff underground (mini dungeons) to make your mining trips less monotonous, with more on the way.

There is a theoretical limit to the size of the Galaxy, but none of us would ever be able to explore it all in our lifetime.

And at this time there is no Roadmap of developement out in public anymore. Likely because of how many people were comparing what they thought was finished to how much was left to do, estimating time to take Chucklefish to be completely finished with Starbound and generally being pissy.

DrgnKakashi likes this.
  3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You were allways stuck in the same galaxy, thats nothing new. The only difference is that you share a starting world now (Its a intendeed feature, some people like it, others hate it. It does allow you to leave equipment and such for new chars).

As to the size, it does have a limit but its so huge as to make it irrelevant. Even if you were to visit a world every second for the rest of your life you wouldent visit them all.

The universe is randomly generated from a seed value (same as before). That means that if you have the same algoritm and the same seed value you will end up with the same "random" result, so other players should have the same "random" universe (unless they have a different OS, not sure if it gives a different result from the algoritm or if they have different seeds for different OS's).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    NerArth likes this.
  4. Towerbooks3192

Oh. OK. So I share the starting planet with my characters and where the planets are but will the planets be set on what contents are on it or everything is the same all throughout? Like lets say I made something in our starting planet with one character, since it is shared it will remain. When I go to another planet, will it be the same if I made something there?

5. Garatgh Deloi

Yes. But it has allways been that way. Its just that the universe is so huge so when you hade a random starting location it was unlikely that you would run into something another char made unless you entered the coordinates manually.

6. Towerbooks3192

Oh, Ok. Yeah I have been away for so long and I don't even know what has happened anymore. I guess I could just use one character to explore one direction of the universe and use another to explore another and use my initial world as sort of my hub. Thank you so much for the answer.

7. Garatgh Deloi

If you gather a 1000 fuel you can also just make a jump lightyears away from your starting location. Since a 1000 fuel is the maximum cost of a jump regardless of the distance. (Using the coordinates system since scrolling that far would be a pain).

There will be worlds for your chars to explore even if you make a thousand chars, so dont worry about that.

8. Towerbooks3192

Another question. Is it possible to alter the universe as I start up? Like lets say I want another set of characters to do a different universe and share a different starting planet. How do I do it?

9. Garatgh Deloi

Theres no ingame way of doing it. You only have one universe saved by the game, btw the universe saved is also used in multiplayer if you host.

But you can move the universe folder and the game will create a new universe, Then you swap between the two universe folders. However, im not certain how it will effect characters in one of the universes (it wont damage them or anything, but they might lose bookmark's and teleporters and end up in another location then when they quit, at least that what happens when you just remove the universe folder completely and create a new one).

10. Towerbooks3192

Ok. Has there been any talk of implementing a way to change it or any if possible where to find any posts from the devs that had the intention of sharing the universe and whatnot?

11. Garatgh Deloi

Not that i know off.