Tutorial Basic Object Implementation: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by mollygos, May 14, 2013.

1. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Finally some info! \o/ Although its a bit sad theres no support for variable frame values. :( Anyway, i cant wait to mod my Darkbound and my Exteras Caedere stuff into the game. :DD

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Cloudpiercer

Cloudpiercer Aquatic Astronaut

Wow I've been waiting for something like this, please do more on armor/clothing and weapons. Then I can spend my time waiting for the game making stuff to add in when it launches.

3. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

This is rather nifty actually. Glad to see information about how to accomplish something like this so far in advance of Beta or launch.

4. Forever

Forever Phantasmal Quasar

This is badass, can't wait to mod the hell outta this game.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. vlamer12

vlamer12 Big Damn Hero

How much harder is it when you want to give objects an actual function?
    I understand that this depends on what the function is you want to add (if it is something that is already ingame just assigned to other objects or not ingame at all)
    But I mainly mean to assign functions to objects that already exist in game.
    For example: a door, gun, cape, bomb etc.

Grzzz

vlamer12

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good point. Would be nice to have mods load from the server when connecting to it. Like downloading sounds or levels in CS, texture packs in Minecraft, etc.

7. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Can this be a sticky, please?

8. Killer Snowman

Killer Snowman Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with the good Captain here, this is worthy of being stuck.

Thank you very much Molly, this is gonna make my life a lot easier when I get started on my clan's mod for Starbound.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

A note about not being an asshole when doing this:

Make sure your id is unique! Add a prefix or suffix to the id, such as a shortened version of your mod's name. So if your mod's name is Max's Mod, don't call something "wheel", call it something like "MxM_wheel". The last thing anyone wants to do is go through your stuff and rename everything for you so it doesn't conflict with other people's items.

10. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm hoping for more of these.

11. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

People are interested, yes people are interested!

12. Not hard at all unless it's a totally new function!
    The LUA scripts for doors, guns, etc all exist already, so it's just a matter of copy/pasting scripts and changing them to suit your needs, really.
    This tutorial only covers very basic, non-functional decorative items to start with, so it doesn't go into functions.

13. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

HOLY MOLLY!This is impressive!
    Basically,if we already find all the items from the game,we can search for mods to implement more items on it...
    ...or make our own mods!
    Very impressive,congratulations Starbound Team.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. kamesennin

kamesennin Starship Captain

Do you need a program to write out that code? Or just write it using a text file, and save it as the right extension and put it in the right place?

EDIT:

Nvm, I guess I just need to read closer. Notepad :D

15. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Would it be possible to consolidate some of the files? I know this is only a basic example, but it seems like overkill to have a single object broken up into 4 files (image, .frames, .object, .objitem), the longest of which is 21 lines even including blank spaces between lines and lines with only a brace or bracket. It would also decrease duplicate information: the objectName, race, description, and shortdescription keys are identical between the .object and .objitem files.

On a separate note, will there be support for mods being compressed as .zip archives? Text files generally compress pretty well and having them as .zip archives would help save space with larger mods.

edit -
    Also, will other images types be supported besides png?

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. LastHazzerd

LastHazzerd Title Not Found

ooo, what programming language is that?

17. CookieEpic

CookieEpic Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm already imagining the possibilities...
    :megusta:

18. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

Cheers! :)
    First thing I plan to implement are some basic posters and flags. :mspaint::D aweyea

19. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

So... There will be real mod support?
    Exciting! I can't wait to make some mods!

Axe Garian likes this.