1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Backing Up Server - Questions on Mechanics

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by JdeFalconr, Aug 18, 2016.

1. JdeFalconr

JdeFalconr Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks in advance for the help. I'd like to periodically back up my server files for DR. I don't want any of my players to lose their progress and hours of work if something happens to my server. I have a couple questions about how to do this.

First, how does the game write changes to local files? Are they updated in real-time or does that happen periodically? Do I need to issue some kind of console command to write recent changes to files? I want to make sure that the files are updated before I back them up.

Second, are all my server "world" files located in the \Storage\universe subfolder of my Starbound folder or are there other files I would need to preserve in order to restore the server "world"?

EDIT: It looks like the server must be stopped in order to back its files up. I tried a copy and noted that \storage\universe.chunks, \storage\universe.lock and \storage\starbound_server.log are all in use (unsurprisingly).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016