Modding Help Background Objects

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by snakeanarchy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. snakeanarchy

snakeanarchy Phantasmal Quasar

I have been trying to get this to work for a while, background images, how do you get them to display in game (like the human ship background)? when i load up the game, nothing shows up. I've tried making object files to no avail. It would be great if there was a tutorial specific to background images and all its dependencies. Everything my tiled map contains with the exception of the backgrounds are displayed with no issue.

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

I think ship backgrounds are unique to ships arent they? I havent messed around with dungeons too much.

3. snakeanarchy

not sure, i looked around some of the player-station objects, and they have a background objects layer, honestly all i want is to be able to have a custom ship, but use some of the vanilla designs, just set it as the rearmost layer, then back, front, mods, objects, wiring... and so on

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Those background are not actual objects. They are automatically placed there. In ships, they are part of the whole ship image.

99 times out of 100, there won't be a specific tutorial for something. Most of modding is applied knowledge and tinkering. There is just too much and too many ways to do things that tutorials for most things are just impractical.

EmissaryOfInfinity and IHart like this.
  5. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Put this on a plaque.

lazarus78 likes this.
  6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

The ship images are added via .structure files, not objects. Doing it that way, you could say the images are "part of the world" much like parallax images are.

Now the images in objects can be controlled with the "renderLayer" option, so you can achieve must the same in a round-about way. You can find out a lot about objects here.

Are you trying to make a new ship mod? Or just trying to add more parts to an existing mod? I could probably answer any ship related questions you have anyhow.

edit:
    With regard to your objects - if you can't get them to work after reading up on that thread I linked - zip up your project(7z is also fine) and attach the file here.

snakeanarchy likes this.
  7. snakeanarchy

Currently trying to prove a concept i was considering, i'm trying to implement a ship mod whereby i have a decent background and detail from one of the current race ships, while having a custom interior. This is not intended as a player ship, but an encounter. I appreciate the info, i will read thru the link and see what i can do when i'm off work :)

8. snakeanarchy

Thanks for the reply, apologies on getting back, I've made it work with the link you've provided. thank you very much.

9. snakeanarchy

interesting followup question, now i can place objects in game, I've noticed tiled doesn't pass on the favor with my custom map. is there a trick to getting a custom tile-set to properly place items in-game?

10. snakeanarchy

Clarification: how do i get tiled to properly display the custom item via .json/.dungeon files, at present, when i save a .json map, the custom objects are not displayed, though i can go to any planet and place those same objects manually with my player. since no errors are generated, could this be just a placement of the custom tileset in the mod directory needing to be corrected?

11. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

Are you talking about adding objects, materials, etc. to tilesets? If that is the case, just add your stuff to the file and add the image directories. I created a newer tutorial for tiled here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/using-tiled-new.135911/

12. snakeanarchy

ya, at this point, if i add the object files, they work, if i add them via custom tileset, the dungeon i try to load just wont at all, made a new post for that, where it references the json file must be absolute.

13. snakeanarchy

might try to transplant the code from one of the vanilla tileset to mine and modify as needed.
    Cool thing is that i figured out how to make a ship with blocks in tiled, and just need the background "ship" to make it better.

14. snakeanarchy

Example [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk