Modding Help Back Items

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Raujinn, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Raujinn

Raujinn Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this is help or discussion really. it seems that back items are kind of... finicky. The sprite won't show up in game at all unless it's "back.png". As in, if you set the properties to anything but "back.png" it seems to refuse to draw it. Is this property actually doing anything? I'm assuming that file name and image name match, of course, which I can assure you I checked as I went through this.

To walk through in case my 5am-ish post is that incoherent..

• If the property ( maleFrames or femaleFrames ) = back.png and the image is called back.png everything is ok.
    • If the property = back_.png and the image is called back.png, it doesn't load properly. Expected.
    • If the property = back_.png and the image is called back_ping, it doesn't load properly.

Another quirk is that if the files themselves aren't in the backitems folder or in a subfolder in backitems, it seemingly refuses to load the sprite whether or not you've ahdered to calling all relevant things "back.png".

My question is, has anyone else who's been trying out backitems come across this? Does this happen with other types of item as well?

My apologies if the thread has been made before, I couldn't find anything in search.

2. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

It's probably hardcoded, but alternatively it may have to do with the fact that back.frames is called back.frames, and Starbound searches for assets with the same name. I can't think of anything else.

Raujinn likes this.
  3. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

Its not just back items. You must make a new folder if you want to make alternate versions of gear as well (even if its just a helmet), simply giving them another filename isn't going to work.

4. Raujinn

Yup that was it. Made a copy of back.frames to put into the new folder. As long as the name of the frames file and the name provided in the property (before the .png) matches it seems fine.

5. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

Oh cool, I didn't really expect that to be the case. Might this mean it's possible to add completely new types of items?

6. Raujinn

Not sure about that just yet, but it does at least mean I could change the frame size of the back piece which opens things up a tad.