1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali (Triage) 1.11.0

Return of the most adorable predators this side of the universe rift

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yes, but this is Starbound and we can mix violium and solarium to make impervium.

2. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Those are fantasy materials, so they aren't relevant while we're talking about real world chemistry.

Also, upon further review, the difference between the freezing point and the boiling point of helium is 3.272 kelvin, which makes it hard to keep it in liquid state, especially when using it as a coolant.

3. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

All one needs is a firm belief, a thick skull, an extremely effective insulator, and some whacknut machine that can juggle matter states.

4. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Helium would still be a terrible coolant. Because keep in mind, you want coolant to absorb heat so you can pump it away from the container or device you want to cool. Anything you put into this proposed ice box would be, uh, we'll say 'substantially' hotter than liquid helium, which is around 4 kelvin. It'll be guaranteed to evaporate, and thus not working as you plan.

5. Dipdoo

I believe helium is commonly used to cool superconductors to keep efficiency as high as possible, but it runs in a closed circuit and circulates very quickly.
    Calling it overkill for cooling food would be a severe understatement. I just can't help but laugh at the idea of it.

6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Do the superconductors use helium liquid a gaseous form? And of course, I doubt you'll be opening up a door to your superconductor every time you need to use it.

Although if you really want to push it to the limit, use hydrogen. I don't know if it can turn into a superfluid, the few extra kelvins might make some difference.

7. aBOXofTOM

aBOXofTOM Pangalactic Porcupine

why use a fluid coolant at all? we have fancy future technology, so why not freeze our food with lasers or something?

8. Dipdoo

Because that's expensive. :p If you think about it simply hugging certain foods would be enough to cool it for an Avali.

9. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yeahhh, but if it needs to be cooled to Avali room temperature, then it's probably not avali food and probably full of toxic alien stuff like dihydrogen monoxide.

10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

But I'm sure the microbiological stuff that can rot avali food lives just find at avali temperatures. So they need to cool it even further than that.

11. aBOXofTOM

aBOXofTOM Pangalactic Porcupine

the only expense of using laser cooling is energy, which would be required by the fluid coolant anyway. also, if you devised some way for the lasers to be absorbed and converted back into energy after bouncing off of whatever was being cooled, then laser cooling could actually produce a net gain in energy, where using fluid coolant and a compressor is always going to produce a net loss.also, even if it did just expend the energy, the reactors in our ships seem to produce nigh infinite quantities of the stuff because i can run all the ships systems, an atomic furnace, and like a dozen arcade cabinets all at the same time. plus laser cooling would be much more efficient for reaching the extremely cold temperatures that would surely be required for an avali's food to be properly preserved. and it just sounds cool. i mean really, laser powered freezer? who doesn't want one?

12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Highly unlikely; the efficiency of such systems is fairly horrendous, most of the energy used would be waste heat. And how do you plan on recapturing that energy? Even assuming a 100% thermocouple, which is highly unlikely, you don't get more than you put in.
    The ship does use fuel; the only time you need to top it up is when the warp drive is used, sure, but it's hardly infinite. Also trust me, your lights and arcade cabinets are hardly 'high energy'; and the furnace is assumed to have its own built in power source.
    It wasn't about what was cool, it was about what was the most ridiculous. And I'd hate to have a laser freezer, it would be next to impossible fix it when it breaks. Also, it would be massive to have the appropriate cooling systems for the lasers, so the heat from the lasers wouldn't defeat the whole point of the thing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  13. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Ignoring the fact that NO system can provide a net gain in energy without breaking several fundamental laws of physics.....

I'd like to point out that aside from the ship's systems (which wouldn't take nearly as much energy as, like Roland said, the WARP DRIVE in your ship), all of the objects you mentioned can function when you place them on the dirt of a planet that has never seen electrical distribution systems, which indicates that all of those objects seem to have their own internal energy supply.

14. eggplantnugget

eggplantnugget Space Hobo

I apologize for not being with the current topic, but does anyone know if the Lancer-type Avali bows provide the same hunting bonus as the standard Hunting>Tungsten>Compound set? I am referring to the increased drop rate of both foodstuffs and crafting materials given in the standard bow descriptions. Thanks!

15. jrobertocunharr

jrobertocunharr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am with a problem, whem I updated my ship to tier 2, my S.A.I.L disapeared, and i cant do the missions to complete the history mode. So there is any way to fix it?

16. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

While in singleplayer,
    1. Type "/admin" in the chat/console. Without the quotes, of course.
    2. Type "/spawnitem techstation" and place it.
    3. Type "/admin" again to disable godmode.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

jrobertocunharr likes this.
  17. jrobertocunharr

jrobertocunharr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I Done that. But I have to use this method for every character :(

18. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

Do we still need FrackinUniverse / Avali Graphene Fix to use this with FU? If so does the fix run on current version of starbound?

19. Toa_Derax

Toa_Derax Pangalactic Porcupine

I use it, and it works just fine on my end. I dunno if one party or the other fixed it though.

20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

It's always FU causing the conflict so it's not like this party can fix it.