1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali (Triage) 1.11.0

Return of the most adorable predators this side of the universe rift

1. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Yeah, that's fine with me.

2. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Expanded on the incendiary rocket with a set for elemental effects.
    AvaliRocketsElementsBig.png
    From top to bottom: Fire, Poison, Frost, and Electric (not sure why the color for the electric element in Starbound is purple, but it is). The last two are plain high explosive (slower, but expanded blast radius) and a frag rocket, as YellowDemonHurlr had a good idea for how nasty aerogel fragments would be, though I'm not sure how that would work in game. Maybe the explosion for the thorn grenade could be reworked for it?
    AvaliRocketsElements.png

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Ulithium_Dragon likes this.
  3. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Nice! :]

I was gonna change the Special Ability to the one that shoots a shotgun-like-spread barrage of missiles (forget what it's called lol), so the smaller, thinner one would be great for that! n.nU

Think "microgrenade" burst lol.

EDIT: My only critique on these is that I think the "flame" changes between the first and second frame may be a bit too "subtle" - I'd change the shape of the flame slightly imo, like how the shape is different between the second and third flames (and maybe alter the color shapes too slightly).

...Then again, rockets go so fast it may not be all that noticeable, just my thoughts on them - very nice work regardless! :]

(Oh woops - I was referring to the ones on the elemental set FYI.)

EDIT2: There's a "Shrapnel Grenade" Special Ability for the Shotgun that could probably be adapted to the rockets.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. YellowDemonHurlr

Perhaps a trail like this:
    output_GdZeqc.gif
    AvaliRocket3.png

5. Ulithium_Dragon

Yeah, that looks nice! :]

Just FYI, you can also make them more frames than 3. I think here it looks GREAT with just 3 - just wanted to mention it to ya since you said before you were unsure how to format them.

As far as I know, there's no limit lol (the wall mounted version on my Avali Tech Bow has like, 30+ frames or something lmfao).

6. YellowDemonHurlr

I figured there could be more than 3, but I couldn't figure out more than 3 trail permutations. :p

Here's a new trail for the needle missile.
    output_aRzvLm.gif
    AvaliRocketNeedle.png

The timing for the standard rocket frames is 150 ms. The needle rocket is 100, which I think looks better.

7. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

If all else fails, once the code for stored pets are figured out, that may be the next step for one of Ryuijin's other ideas- a drone combat companion that followed the player. Some of these spare projectiles may be useful for when that hits.

8. Ulithium_Dragon

Been a bit busy - got the basic "needle" projectile working though:

GIF.gif

I used the "Avali Plasma Explosion" included in the base mod (another asset I don't believe was ever actually used anywhere lol).

Shaadaris, hypergen8, Never and 2 others like this.
  9. Ulithium_Dragon

Wow! Making a "Shrapnel Missile" special ability was A LOT easier than I thought it was gonna be!

GIF.gif

I just copied the "Shrapnel Bomb" ability (the one for Grenade Launchers) and inserted the missile projectile into it, gave it the physics type "rocket", and added a few other tweaks and.... vola!

I also made some color alterations on the "shrapnel" so it looked a bit more like aerogel lol. :]

-----
    EDIT: Still not sure what controls the "gun shaking" in the animation (rocket launchers have a "backwards kick" offset when fired, but the special ability is using the grenade launcher/shotgun "upward kick" offset at the moment).

Will try to figure it out tomorrow! n.nU

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I think the needle-like shell should move at a faster speed than its alternatives.

11. Ulithium_Dragon

I can increase the acceleration - sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: Ok, how's this?

GIF.gif
    *Keep in mind that the speed is actually almost 2x as fast as shown here in-game: for some weird-ass reason, the game starts to lag like mad the second I start recording these GIF's, dropping the framerate down by at least HALF...

I also fixed the "kickback" effect on the special ability (tiredness doomed me on that one last night lol - I missed something EXTREMELY obvious).
    Still can't figure out why the muzzle smoke effect won't play on the the special ability, though. The code looks perfectly fine to me, but then I don't totally understand ".activeitem" files - they almost seem like they're half .projectile and half .activeitem lmao... >_<

12. YellowDemonHurlr

Looking good!

13. Ulithium_Dragon

I was gonna wait till I'd finished the Rocket Launcher to release the stuff I made in an "Avali Misc Stuff" mod, so I'll do that now after some live-fire testing and inevitable rebalancing.

Stay tuned! n.nU

14. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

At this point, it's looking like the mod is less "Avali Misc Stuff" and more "Avali Missile Launcher (with a few extras)"

Relten likes this.
  15. Ulithium_Dragon

*Rolls Eyes* Yeah, fair enough! n.nU

On an unrelated note, I'm having serious trouble trying to balance this damn thing - I simply cannot figure out how to lower the damage of the shrapnel. I'm almost positive that "power" is the damage multiplier for projectiles (cuz they gotta be *more* confusing ofc), but I've slid that thing to the moon and back and somehow each tiny little shard is still doing like, 3x the damage the actual rocket does... >_<

I also cannot figure out why there is zero knockback on anything, even the shrapnel. I realized I actually had no idea what part controlled the knockback, but I've added it to like, everything at this point, and even tried changed the function the variable is under, etc. and there is still *none*. The only thing I can think of at this point is that it may all be tied to the explosion projectile...

EDIT: Ok I figured out the shrapnel damage. Apparently it's being "inherited" from the "BaseDPS" set on the ".altability". Dangit - I wanted to have the initial explosion still do damage. Hmm, I may be able to fix that actually...

Also, the "knockback" is working for the shrapnel, so I'm pretty sure it must be controlled by explosion then, as that's the only thing that the shrapnel has that's different from the two types of missile impact.

16. Ulithium_Dragon

I released the mod, as my interest in Starbound was dwindling again, and I did not want this to become another of my many, MANY "finished, but unreleased" projects:

Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff

SilverWolf21, hypergen8 and Never like this.
  17. Kai The Wolf

Kai The Wolf Void-Bound Voyager

For some strange reason I can't craft any avali armour? All the weapons work with the Seperator and Accelerator tables (Haven't tested the manipulator table) but I can't find any of the armour inserts? It's been a while since I've played, were they moved to some other crafting device or is there something wrong with my game?

--EDIT: Found out what was wrong, I was using an old character and the new armour sets are not automatically learned, which is a shame, I had to craft durasteel stuff, then violium stuff, then impervium stuff.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. Devani

Devani Cosmic Narwhal

That armour inserts can be found in normal crafting stations. Tier one armour inserts can be found in the anvil while the highest tier can be found in the variety of tables that you listed. I haven't been here in awhile, and I don't believe the mechanics for the armour crafting has changed.

Nice job on giving ideas, and helping Ulithium.

Repeating my previous quote and saying good job. I like how the rocket launcher turned out.

hypergen8 likes this.
  19. Ulithium_Dragon

Thanks!

By the way, someone mentioned in a review of my mod that the rocket launcher may be a bit... "unbalanced", but I'd need more to go on than that.
    I legitimately tried to balance it for "endgame" (highest level planets - stuff in the "Fiery Star" systems), so I don't know what to do with that lol... n.nU

I also gave up trying to figure out why it had no knockback effect - code on the .activeitem and .projectile all looked perfectly fine to me, and I did not find any examples of the "explosion" .config or .projectile controlling knockback, so was outta things to try! :L

Additionally, much like the issue Kai The Wolf was having, I failed to find a decent way to get the new spear I made to show up in the.... manipulator(?) table were the other end-game spears were at.
    I tried to "patch" the recipe into that "Avali Certificate" thing (the one that lets you craft those T3 throwing spears - "Pilum" or something like that?), but must have done something wrong with the code.
    I couldn't find any decent documentation on how .patch files are made, so I had to try and reverse engineer it off of existing ones (as per usual lol).

hypergen8 likes this.
  20. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Leave for too long and suddenly rocket launcher. What has this world come to?

I kid. Excellent work, @Ulithium_Dragon and all involved.
    Adding this to the Addons section. And trying to think of a way to make the addons section more prevalent. Hmm.

As for .patch files, Kawa has made an automatic generator for them. Plug the original file into the left text box, then copypaste it into the right textbox, make your changes there (Right box) and the page does it all for you: http://chbrown.github.io/rfc6902/