1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yup, one pixel per block mang. but argh, I upgraded to OS X maverick to use GIMP to convert my color profile, and now starbound is "crashing unexpectedly" when I try to test my newly converted file. Off to the bug report thread or whatever it is...

2. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Look on the bright side. Starbound could instead be crashing expectedly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Calabrese likes this.
  3. Arcalane

Arcalane Pangalactic Porcupine

Custom Apex Hoverbike prop + a little while faffing around to make the room look good means I finally have a use for that one room.

[​IMG]

Probably needs some of the popup display things near the raised bike.

4. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I think I've settled on a pattern that works well for both genders. Here's all the hairstyles I've come up with so far:

avali_hair6.png

And again, for those who wish to try these out, just download the .zip below and replace an existing hairstyle with whichever one you want to try. (Or edit avali.species to include the new hairstyles.)

I forgot to say before, but you're welcome, RyuujinZERO. ;) These have been fun to make, so if you think any of them are worth adding to the mod I'd be tickled pink to have them included!

Attached Files:

OmegaMinion and Shard of Sorrow like this.
  5. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Random question: Are Avali carnivores or omnivores?

6. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They are obligate carnivores, according to the bottom of Ryuujin's post here.

Strangely enough, I couldn't find anything about the Avali diet in the wiki. Someone want to get on that?

Battle Bee likes this.
  7. Taverius

Taverius Phantasmal Quasar

I vote for something like this, we used to own a few of these crazy pigeons
    [​IMG]

8. Dolphinowl245

Dolphinowl245 Pangalactic Porcupine

I have seen that exact monster before with TheTrueUmbrakiin.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

We do know that Starbound isn't set all that far into the future, possibly no more than double-digit figures so it's relatively close future. Humans certainly haven't begun extensive colonisation efforts (Though the first wave of FTL ships went out a long time before, there was no concerted effort to colonise those worlds properly until the tentacle beast turned up).

Avali timekeeping must be a little odd, but I havn't set into stone how it works. The problem in avali timekeeping arises from the fact Avalon is a moon and it is also tidally locked. That means 1 Avalon day = 1 full orbit of it's parent planet, based on Avalon size that'll be between 15 and 30 days depending on orbittal distance/speed (Again another precise detail i have no set in stone), that also means that an Avalon "day" and "night" last over a week of Earth time. if the Avali require regular sleep, then their activity cycle can't be connected to the day/night cycle (Which is one reason they arn't so reliant on eyesight, as it wouldn't do them much good for a week at a time).

Obviously the Avali were aware of the stars and that they had a repeated cycle too (A year) giving them two cycles to work against, but again, based on the size of their parent planet and orbital distance this could be several earth years long.

Kinda rude <.<

Shard of Sorrow likes this.
  10. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

I NEED IT.

No, really, I need dis. Oh god do I need dis. Mind sharing? :D

Edit: oh hey my title changed when did that happen

11. Myifee

Myifee Guest

I thought these were some sort of cannon, until I read that.

Edit: I thought these were cannons or the like. Brain, stop structuring a sentence then changing the structure halfway through

Dolphinowl245 likes this.
  12. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

have not played Starbound, but I have heard of it. and by far, I absolutely adore this Race. there is not a single thing I would change, and I am eager to see the full Version.
    I do however have a question that has been puzzling me for the last week. it's about the Avalis themselves and not about the Mod directly, so I do not feel like it's needed. but I would like to know. I know what I need to know, but this one question stumps me. I want to make an Avali OC, but without this rather critical piece of data, it can't be complete.

on their home, I can picture it. but how do they eat? and more so with Prey with a body Temp far higher then their own, like on other planets. and farther more, how do they prepare their meals? based on their lore, I can't see them cooking.

thank you for reading, and more so if you decide to answer or forward my question to the Wiki. I adore this race, and because of it, I am a new Starbound Fan.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Huh, interesting observation. Daggers may not be QUITE as useless as they first look - testing the claws I discovered a trick. When you hit an enemy, they recoil slightly in which time they cannot use an attack skill. If you're spamming your daggers (Hold LMB, then click and hold RMB about 0.5 of a second later so you're striking with both hands in opposite sync), instead of doing the intuitive thing and trying to dodge the enemy's counter attack, you instead push into the enemy, this has the effect of continually pushing them back and keeping them recoiling and unable to attack.

Hello there, welcome aboard ^ ^

As for the question, your anthropocentricity is showing ;)

On their homeworld, all life has similar biology to them - similar chemical composition, similar body temperature so they no doubt could just eat stuff raw. However in practice, like humans they would cure or cook foods. There's quite a few options available to them but gas (oxygen based), and electric would be the most practical. ("cooking") simply requires the compounds in their tissues to denature. For lwo temperature biologies, this is much lower than Earth life

Cooking food (due to it's release of aromatic compounds), and anti-bacterial effects would make it preferable even to a true carnivore. Also, they do use plants for seasonings and sauces and even create processed foods similar to things like noodles, breads, rolls, tortilla/taco etc

In reality, eating alien life would be an INCREDIBLY bad idea, there's no guarantee aliens will have biologies that are even safely digestible. For example there are some animals on earth that use arsenic in their metabolism. Eating such a creature would kill a human stone dead. Since in starbound you can eat any alien meat though, the Avali are shown to cure alien meat into jerky to remove it's water content to make it more palletable.

J_Mourne and Shard of Sorrow like this.
  14. Myifee

Myifee Guest

They have to prepare the food specially.

Though gameplay wise? They're the same. Most of it is just background lore unless RyuujiZERO adds something about that. It'd likely be optional, though. Some people won't wanna play the race, be forced to have restrictions.

Unless with foreign planet food that won't poison them, they have a machine that chills it to a safe temp?

Shard of Sorrow likes this.
  15. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Stunlocks are cheap, but I can see that with daggers. Does make them less useless, by far.

Aside from fighting several things at once, that actually makes them very viable. I'll have to use them more often.

16. Arcalane

Arcalane Pangalactic Porcupine

Another trick you can do is mainhand a 'blade and offhand a dagger; the rapid dagger hits stagger the target and prevent counter-attacks, whilst the blade hits dish out more serious damage.

17. MrMadmanx2

I understand that, which is why I did not direct it at the mod, but the race itself. it's an interesting question. if you do make an OC, a personal character for Role playing. how would they prepare food.

18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I answered earlier but everyone buried it :p

19. MrMadmanx2

I see. that does make sense, and Thanks for the welcoming, glad to be on board ^-^
    it definitely answers my question, and you do prove a point there about Meat from Aliens. meat is cooked and/or dried into a jerky, then cooled to an ideal temp before consuming. once dried, t won't have such a Temp impact on their body's core temp. it's an interesting point of view that anything sub zero (0 degrees F) would be a Hot Meal to them

20. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

I just found a weapons vendor and bought myself a Firelance (among other things), and dear lord that thing is potent. it's like... yeah, I just a tank-destroying rifle against wildlife. Also, it amuses me that if I fire up into the air, most of the time I will hit things I didn't even know were there. Magical sky-meat!

This is going to make taking down the Bone Dragon very fun.... :sneaky:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.