Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. theminemanner2

theminemanner2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A friend and I had an idea about an augment that creates or is a breeding ground for some bacteria that spreads throughout the Avali's body keeping the amonia in him from reacting negatively to other things and maintaining body temperature. It probably isn't realistic, but this is the future! This is also for a sci-fi table-top RPG and I didn't EMPs to be lethal to my character.

2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yeah I was just too lazy to scroll up to quote other people.
    Anyways, my point was that it shouldn't be hard to write within the canon. It's pretty vague as it is.

like the guy just above me, actually.
    You see my point that complaining about the "canon police" just means bad writing?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    Hey guys
    I found Avalon while playing Stellaris.

4. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

5. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

So after some time and looking at the mod that have an avali like species, i considered to start working and brainstorming on an Addon mode for
    Triage then eventually the reboot mod to not only
    Add a more avali feel to the crafting stations but also some new resources and progression.
    So far ive been dubbing it 'crafting reborn: avali'

TR-219 likes this.
  6. TR-219

Seems like an interesting project

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  7. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

It really does, until you consider the specifics.
    Which mostly include respriting of vanilla props but with areogel.
    Enough areogel to fill Avalon's entire atmosphere and suffocate all the avali with tiny sharp airborne particles.
    Which makes no goddamn sense, just like the use of areogel as solid flooring or windows.
    [​IMG]
    "What's this? A heavy combat mech? Better adorn it with fragile areogel pieces!"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I dunno what you're talking about. That is clearly several messy scoops if ice cream waiting to become a banana split. You can see the flecks of vanilla bean and chunks of nougat.

9. TR-219

At least it looks like a mech that will keep you safe, disregarding the aerogel... until it explodes. The rest of the racial mech bodies all have glass canopies, if at all. No wonder they explode so easily. Speaking of, I don't appear to have access to Avali racial mechs, if they are currently implemented in the triage.

10. Toa_Derax

Toa_Derax Pangalactic Porcupine

Main issue is that it looks like an Avali head, which is....meh, in my opinion. Same thing applies to other mech bodies designed to be a giant face.

Firebird Zoom and notanaccount2 like this.
  11. Toa_Derax

Toa_Derax Pangalactic Porcupine

The ships, not so much. They're typically based on the theme of each race, i.e. Glitch has a castle/fortress, Novakid has their train, humans have the modern/militery themed ship, Apex have a sci-fi ship, and Avian have their Aztec pyramid, Only odd one out is the Floran, which is cobbled together bits of other ships.
    Avali's ship...I can't really tell.

12. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Let's just say that I don't think Chucklefish is the best at vehicle graphic design. It really shows with the mechs.

They're so squat and unintimidating. Where's my XS Mechs that can go in space? Where's my BattleTech-styled mechs?

Firebird Zoom and Toa_Derax like this.
  13. Gravity_Wolf

Gravity_Wolf Aquatic Astronaut

14. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    Well, actually...

15. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

16. Gravity_Wolf

Gravity_Wolf Aquatic Astronaut

:avail:D:

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    Yeah, this guy's already on it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. YellowDemonHurlr

In all seriousness, I don't care for that mech design at all. It's kind of blobby and shapeless. I think something that more closely resembles the original avali ship would be better.

Lore-wise, I don't actually see avali deploying "mechs" like this. Too big and slow. I would expect power armor squads with a suit or two of heavy power armor and lighter troopers supporting. Someone made a nice mockup of avali power armor, but sadly I can't remember who it was. I think I have the picture saved on another computer, though.

TR-219 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  19. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Ryuujin did plan to add avali mechs, and the avali wiki mentions them once or twice. They're probably supposed to be sprinter mechs, though. Espicially since a truly skilled pilot would apparently be able to do ACROBATICS in one.

20. YellowDemonHurlr

That I can see. Depending on the control scheme, I can also see rookie avali pilots going through a phase in training where they instinctively try to fly in their mechs and it comes crashing down around them. I could also see big, lumbering biped heavy weapon platforms, but I expect they would be automated.

Or maybe it would be a remarkable double biped, which some would argue is even more impressive!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017