Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Looks nice, especially the blue margins, though I think the atmosphere would be opaque enough that you can't see surface features. It would essentially be a plain tan ball, though you could probably get away with some cloud patterns. If you do go with a translucent atmosphere, I'd give it a mottled texture like the Ganymede (which also has an ice crust, but has the benefit of not having an atmosphere so we can see the surface).

Oh, and I should point out that rivers don't cross one another. When they meet, they join up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sock of Retribution and HuskyPup like this.
  2. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

*Doesn't know what is going on, but does not stop the cuddle*

Good news for the Avali at any rate, an orbital bombardment on only military targets would be difficult through the thick atmosphere. Bad news for us, trying to see a potential view of the Avali homeworld.

Sock of Retribution likes this.
  3. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

Yep! I was about to get to topology right away. Those rivers are merely a placeholder for something better.

I was thinking on making those cloud patters the same way I make variations in a Gas Giant's "Surface". Now at this point I might separate future avalon renders into two groups, one with a semi-transparent atmosphere, and one with an opaque one.
    Longer render times, yes, but more results!

Those rivers are a procedural texture. The software doesn't know what a river is. I'm on a more realistic approach but that'll take a bit of time...

Don't worry buddy, I'll make beautiful cloud patterns. :>

*cuddles more, smiling joyfully* ^^ u guys r awesome

4. TR-219

Clouds are amazing... have you ever been near enough to touch one?

5. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you think you could manage this, it'd be a great idea. I must say, though, I am a bit curious as to the workings/user interface of the software you're using.

*retaliating cuddles, chirpy chirp kit*

6. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

I fly alot, I get close to them, but never have I ever felt their puffyness ;-;

I use Blender... cuz it free n' shiz.
    I could make a video about the planet and the different stuff that goes into it, make it as interesting as humanly possible. Cuz I don't think you'd like a lecture about the magic of the Layer Weight Node... Sounds interesting, but it really isn't.

*smiles more, boops ur nose* c:

7. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I might watch something like that. I'm not really familiar with Blender, so what better way to start?

*eyes open wide, giggles and blushes profusely*

HuskyPup likes this.
  8. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

Welp, later imma focus on that Video. I'll also give you a series made by a few people that really know their stuff, way more than I do. But now, Imma sleep.

*chuckles a bit* ^^

9. TR-219

That's what open cockpits are for... though I am technically not supposed to fly through them. Near them, sure. What aircraft do you fly at the moment?

10. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

I meant I travel alot . Though I have plans to get a civilian pilots licence and buy a Cessna, I did fly in one once, made some beautiful pics. (Haven't done much research just yet)

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  11. TR-219

Not sure how the legislation is like were you live, but if you are interested, I found a NZ equivilent that gives some basic information, give you an idea of what you would need to know.

https://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/advanced-manoeuvres/short-field-takeoff-and-landing.html

12. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

13. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

[​IMG]
    Hey! I've got a fully opaque atmosphere right here. Plus, I changed the high atmosphere a bit, make it so the terminator looks better.
    I'm composing the topology of my second redner, so please, enjoy this while I do this.

( Video should be coming soon c: )

*cuddles moar* Nobody can't have enough cuddles! >=3

14. TR-219

Literally a giant orange ball... pretty much spot on, from the earlier information.

... Maybe that's why they like the color orange so much, if it blends in with the atmosphere from the planet's surface? Though they use white a lot more, so that doesn't make sense...

*Nooo, not the cuddles*

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  15. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

[​IMG]
    Little update on the opaque planet, added detail on the clouds. Enjoy the pixels~

16. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

[​IMG]
    I don't know why I'm still making atmospheres... This one has a better, more realistic falloff.

17. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

[​IMG]
    I made the video for the opaque atmosphere.

It's boring, but gets the job done.

18. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

Okay, I must admit, the last video was kind of terrible.
    Here's a better one.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  19. TR-219

2 minutes, and I understood most of what was going on? Seems like a good video.

20. HuskyPup

HuskyPup Star Wrangler

Yay! It did it's job!