1. Hey Guest! We've announced our new game Wargroove, check out the new forums!
    Dismiss Notice

Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Scival

Scival Black Hole Surfer

But then we need a custom intro mission that gives it to you.

2. hypergen8

hypergen8 Big Damn Hero

that wouldn't actually need to be there immediately, it could be something that would be added later. But they could have it start like the old starbound, no mission, just a note with what happened.
    Really its just an idea in how we can make it better then the default intro (which is pretty bad lets be real) and make it more lore friendly for the avali.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Sock of Retribution likes this.
  3. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Astral Cartographer

There's a couple mods for the matter manipulator, to replace how it looks.
    Like the gravity gun one, its okay imo.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  4. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Orbital Explorer

Personally, I would advocate for the implementation of all 3 of these options relating to Avali campaign directly based on all possibilities we have discussed: simply using the current story and missions and utilizing dialogue and descriptions unique to the avali, as TheOnlyRen is already working on; developing a single intro mission to dovetail into the Protectorate storyline which can be used to cast off the typical avali setting; and likely the hardest option to implement, creating a new story and set of missions exclusive to the avali yet still focusing on the conflicts of the original campaign, perhaps as well as new more avali-specific storylines.

5. Sock of Retribution

Also, there's something I'd like to bring to your attention, Yellow. Months ago on the Triage Discord server, I talked with the "loremasters" there and brought up the validity of avali pointing fingers on such a large scale (as depicted in Monsters Below, in any event) towards humans as the benefactors/malefactors. They stated it is unlikely at best that the avali would be oblivious to the technological level of the human race at the time of the uplifting for very long: therefore, the persistence of such claw-pointing would only be kept if humans actually were capable of reaching Avalon at the time.

I think they have a point. While it may be difficult, especially with the destruction of Earth, for us to prove the course of our own history, it's only a matter of time before some adventurous kit brings back evidence at least too definitive to ignore.

6. Scival

Scival Black Hole Surfer

I mean, it's not like we don't already know it wasn't the humans.

[​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]

"A few thousands years prior to the current timeline an unknown alien race settled upon their world," "their ruins still scatter Avalon today,"
    Only evidence of human activity outside of Earth are minor outposts, and the destruction of Earth was enough to completely eliminate the Protectorate, according to what Esther tells you.

Seems virtually impossible to draw a connection between Earth and Avalon.

7. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I dunno, people can hold on to misconceptions for a long time, especially if it is useful for a party in power for the people they rule to believe it. I think the "humans as the malefactors" is a weak point in the lore. It requires us to accept that...
    1. Humans were capable of intergalactic travel thousands of years prior... (maybe plausible, depending on how long space-faring civilization has existed)
    2. They kept no record of their involvement on avalon, nor did any other credible race...
    3. They uplifted the avali and supplied them equipment with which to mine, but none of that equipment (or other artifacts like beer cans) survived to the present...
    4. There is no clear "evolutionary path" between human tech and avali tech, even though avali tech is reverse-engineered from the malefactor's tech (which, again, is conveniently absent).
    5. Similarly, there are no cultural aspects of modern avali that can be traced to humanity, which is unlikely if they interacted as closely as they were said to.
    6. Despite the fact that the malefactors lost a war, I've never heard anything about human remains being found on this planet that would freeze and preserve any human exposed to it.

In short, there are a myriad of ways by which humans could be placed on Avalon, and when none of them say "yes, humans were here on Avalon," it starts to become pretty clear that you're barking up the wrong tree. This is probably why most of that section has since been redacted. It just doesn't make sense. I figured out a way to reconcile at least some of the evidence, but it is most definitely not canon.

You could maybe say avali archeologists are incompetent (or nonexistent), but human archeologists are not and they would definitely want to investigate this.

8. Sock of Retribution

Doubt it. If the wiki is correct, then there have already been a few pre-malefactor avali catacombs and dwellings unearthed in the higher altitudes of Avalon: pre-malefactor avali weren't completely nomadic. Since necessity is the mother of invention, there is likely some semblance of archaeology among avali society if it is not already a full-fledged field.

If not, then Indiana Jones fanboy supreme Jiroku Tanalya shall be the first true avali archaeologist! Except he's not completely canon himself, so I should probably stop mentioning him altogether. *sad avali kit chirp*

9. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Cosmos Killer

Does he have the whip? And the hat?

10. Sock of Retribution

Jiro feels that he wouldn't look too good in a fedora, but he's still looking for a suitable bullwhip. He already has a man pouch which is close enough to his idol's for him to brag about it. He also rather randomly quotes Indy enough for other avali to think he's lost a couple marbles; to be truthful, Jiro is quite quirky.

11. YellowDemonHurlr

Yeah, I figure the same.

12. YellowDemonHurlr

Okay, double post but nobody will be notified if I just edit my old post. Why have I never seen an avali atl-atl/spear throwing lever? Since they're too stubby to use bows, this seems like the next best thing for cavevali/traditional hunting enthusiasts.

hypergen8 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  13. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Cosmos Killer

Oversight, I imagine. And they already have guns, so they might've fallen by the wayside.

14. Scival

Scival Black Hole Surfer

If you want to pretend you're not doubleposting, edit your old post, copy the contents, then delete it, and post it again with whatever you want to add on to it and people will still be notified.

15. Sock of Retribution

Simply because they apparently never developed them before the benefactors came, and now it's just a waste of time. The only weapon that'd be seen as traditional to the avali is the spear.

16. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Astral Cartographer

Sure. but you'd think one of them somewhere would get the bright idea that "hey, if I chuck this at a distance, its less likely I'l get hurt during hunting"
    Or some such thing.

17. YellowDemonHurlr

Well the atl-atl is a natural evolution of the spear thrower, aspecially for a species like the avali which is, again, quite stubby. We invented it 15 - 20,000 years ago, it's no great leap to expect the avali to have done the same.

18. DraikNova

DraikNova Sandwich Man

Yeah. And even on earth, there are a variety of similar devices, like the woomera, so it's not like inventing spear throwing devices is a particularly limited field.

19. Sock of Retribution

I guess it would make sense for the avali to develop the atlatl without outside assistance, but there's also the issue of what material it would be built with. Due to the very simple nature of the tool, it could likely be carved out of ice or even nakati bark, so that probably wouldn't be an issue.

So yeah, it's really entirely possible they could have developed it, but I think the weapon is just so overlooked that allowing the avali to canonically use it as a traditional weapon wouldn't have that much purpose with guns around.

20. YellowDemonHurlr

Ice seems fragile, but bone is a common material historically.

Well you could say the same thing about bows, which are in Starbound by default. This is really why I brought this up, because all the races have a hunting weapon except the hunter avali. And lore-wise, even though we have advanced firearms in this day and age, there are still people who like to hunt with muskets, bows, etc.