Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

They got an interest in music, both listening and performing, the bonsai crystal ingame shows maybe some more zen-ish qualities at times, and they have highly advanced hologram technology, I'm sure their equivalent of Occulus Rift is pretty much the bestest thing evah.

2. GeminiFlame

GeminiFlame Void-Bound Voyager

This is just the first thing off the top of my head but how about a meal that has no special properties but has a long shelf life and is filling (sorta like the Avali equal to canned food)?
    Like a sort of Avali Trail Ration (the recipe idea being Spicy Jerky, Piru Flour and Water, the idea being to turn the flour into a sort of alien hardtack to make it more filling and packing it with jerky to make a quick and reliable emergency meal).

For another food idea that might be harder to implement how about some sort of tube or gel-based food that doesn't fill much but takes a while to fully eat and gives something similar to a short-term full belly status to simulate that while in effect, like it's a really difficult to eat or not too palatable on its own but will do in a pinch, but combining it into a meal with something else removes or lessens this effect and makes it a lot more worthwhile.

3. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Like Silverotter said, it's like water to them, you're thinking of alcohol...

I recall that they're really big on music. They could probably take 'ear sex' a step further and explore music and music genres more aggressively than humans so that they're able to synthesize an ASMR-esque sensation for themselves and have something for virtually everyone.

Avali music could even have been a potential import before the whole Ruin event due to how people (at least humans) enjoy music and the advanced technology (and mastery of music) would make them the source of a large variety of music.

Actually, make that another question for RyuujinZERO- how versatile is their musicial ability and how much of an impact does it have on their culture?

4. GeminiFlame

GeminiFlame Void-Bound Voyager

That just makes me think of Avali taking the idea of ASMR and directed sound tech and turning it into a riot control tool, like a weapons-grade ASMR emitter that puts targets in a super-blissful and easily managed state for easy apprehension.

5. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

Lore discrepancy.

6. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

that still doesn't answer how they get their blissful pleasure. i wonder if in the physical world their perspective of mating is only reproduction, could they experience more lustful pleasures in the nexus? it is supposed to be a digital world of everything avali, maybe in there they 'experiment' with pleasure and how to obtain it.

7. Ser-matticus

then what is there booze?

8. Silverotter

Do they need their own booze? Considering they're carbon-based, alcohol should effect them like normal, unless their brains are so different it doesn't even count as a depressant.
    [In a seedy part of an avali town, you see an holographic ad. It reads: "New Nexus simulation: Daa's Digital D***os! Infinite pleasure!]

I think I'm done here.

9. Alceris

Alceris Pangalactic Porcupine

That actually is an alcoholic beverage. Exactly how many alcoholic beverages do you know of that don't have water in them?

10. Ser-matticus

i guess that works... additionally we don't know what the effects of ethol alcohol would do to them especially since they can't have anything with ice not chilled to -22 Fahrenheit and same with the liquor itself

11. Silverotter

Alcohol isn't water, and can be chilled. I don't know if it freezes at that temperature, but digestion takes care of that anyways.

12. Ser-matticus

-173 Fahrenheit thats its freezing point

13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Well, there would be a problem with that since I suggested having two species rather than one, technically. However, it does offer a lot of flexibility with necessitating an extra mod be installed. The only issues I can see would be ensuring that dialogue exists for "dull" Avali to recognize player species. Other than that, no real issues. Heck, at best you'll only need one new file - a slightly different species file in the humanoid/avali/ folder.

14. Ser-matticus

[​IMG]
    found this while browsing deviantart and found this when searching for some avali stuff

15. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I for one am very excited about this! I've always been a bit annoyed that the female Avali have iridescent stripes when lore-wise this makes no sense.
    Even more annoying is that since the majority of Avali art is depicting Starbound Avali, this discrepency is considered the norm.

Speaking of discrepencies in feathers that are often depicted in art... Now if only there was a way to have varied patterns so all male Avali don't have the same exact pattern... But alas, that's improbable. Unless maybe a race was made for each pattern but that would be unabashed chaos.

Alas, Rasano and his tiger-stripes will always be a distant dream!
    [​IMG]

Err... That is still a thing, right? Avali males having varied iridescent patterns?
    I admit I haven't kept tabs on the changes to the lore.

Lodish likes this.
  16. Railgunner2160

Railgunner2160 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So after reading everything so far here are my thoughts:

1. I'm okay with the new palette ideas.
    2. If your going with a single massive ship right off the bat, here's my suggestions. First stage is everything busted as normal, big holes in the hull outside of the starting livable area. Second stage the thrusters & basic equipment is repaired, Holes remain in the the closed off sections. The remaining upgrades are basically holes getting patched in the other sections allowing them to be repressurized and livable.
    3. I agree that the lowest tier of crafting stations should maintain their crude appearance, T2 crafting stations & up I think should have Avali sprites. (Well except the wiring, robot, & rail stations, those need Avali sprites as their already advanced technology..)
    4. The Avali really need appropriate weapons at all tiers along with their armor inserts. Not sure if the Avali should have access to firearms at the low tiers though. Definitely need proper hunting weapons though, bows seems somewhat impractical for Avali bodies...
    5. There's already a Avali Drone ship pet mod out there for Avali(Triage), maybe take some inspiration from that?
    6. I really am looking forward to the Respawn animations!!

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Because the fancy decorative drink bottle in the mod is something equivalent to wine. Yes it's heavily ammonia based, but by volume, human wine and beer is mostly water. It doesn't make it any less inebriating ;)

Where an earth in the lore does it say that O,o

Yes, they seek pleasure, they have digital media, gaming and VR simulations courtesy of the nexus. Their augmented reality systems make Pokémon go look positively amateur, they enjoy food, they have the arts... and most packs consider other pack mates as "friends with benefits" *ehem*.

They probably mate for fun more than humans do. (Who as a species are ridiculous about sex, with so many taboos, social rules, self imposed guilt...)

It is, interestingly ammonia can dissolve some substances water cannot. Avali are not pure ammonia based, they have some portion of water mixed into the bloodstream too. Just don't ask me for precise numbers. 'Enough to make a working biology'

See: Wiki :p

Yes, canonically the iridescent patterns on the males vary considerably. It was never my intent that the females have iridescent patterns, the idea of the female "markings" is that they be assigned a suitably dark/muted pattern but neither the NPC generator, or non-lore-informed players, seemed to want to play ball, and Starbound doesn't allow colours to be gender-locked.

1. No, because their core body temperature is so low, large volumes of water will quickly harden into solid chunks of ice, which cannot readily melt again while inside them. It'd be like eating rocks... can you do it? - technically... but it won't be nutritious, nor fun when they come out the other end.

2. Not sure of any good ammonia sources that simply exist wild in significant amounts of terrestrial worlds they could tap as a survivalist. However ammonia is relatively easy to produce industrially on any planet with a decent supply of hydrogen and nitrogen (Two of the most abundant gases in the universe), using the haber process.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  18. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

I guess on the bright side you can modify the female sprite to have at least unique characteristics/style, even if the colors may be lore-breaking.

I swear, if a ingame character editor isn't developed eventually, like a barbershop...

19. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Are you gonna be updating the wiki as well, Ryuujin? It seems like we're getting a lot of updated and clarified lore in these forum posts.

20. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

He just did, some of the major pages (lore pages actually) were rewritten recently.