Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My current backstory for him explains the abnormal height as simply a mutation/genetic fluke, since both his parents were quite healthy and normal specimens for all practical purposes. And that isn't the only example for him either; Jiroku has a number of physical and mental impurities/disorders, among which are obsessive compulsive disorder, an occasionally twitching left leg, overactive tear ducts, PTSD-induced amnesia, and mild Asberger's syndrome. And I'm boring everyone to death.

Perhaps these are even the reasons he was spared while the rest of his pack was kidnapped at infancy: because kidnapping entity saw him as unfit for whatever activities (possibly biologically-oriented) they might have planned.

Of course, Jiroku Tanalya as a character is dynamic, so any tips here would be appreciated. Maintenance of an incomplete sense of lore adherence is why I'm here, anyhow.

Hope you're listening Yellow, you might just be working with this character someday.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. Sock of Retribution

I know this topic has already been brought up on this thread before, but what exactly would avali music sound like? Due to the avali sense of sound being much more attuned than our own, that seems to suggest that they would incorporate sounds and pitches we are unable to even pick up, let alone comprehend. As for style and instrument use, traditional avali music would probably make use of percussion, simple strings, and woodwinds, as well as voice backup.

Due to the relatively small amount of time for avali culture to develop on its own, I think a lot of their music genres would simply be their own takes on the music examples of other races, such as human orchestrations or traditional hylotl tunes, perhaps even repurposed avian religious hymns/chants.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head. Avali music is pretty varied and expansive, I would imagine.

Also, still here, but haven't touched the writing for the mod in a while. This isn't something I do on the regular and I'm more likely to spend my free time playing vidya than writing for a mod. But I'm not dead.

4. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I vaguely remember the wiki stating that there was a large scene on the Avali nexus based around sharing their music. So pretty much every music genre would have been tried by at least one pack, then shared on the nexus. Not to mention a few new genres we haven't thought of yet.

5. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Anyone know what color Avali skin is beneath their feathers?

6. Sock of Retribution

It depends: their base coat color almost certainly doubles as their skin color as well. Avali blood is pale violet, however, so the more "sensitive" areas of avali skin would have a purle tint.

It is worth noting, however, that the thicker avali scales (such as on the tops of their toes) would be a darker gray most likely.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  7. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

from what i remember, purple or blue(it's one of those), cause ammonia blood, i barely remember it though, so i'm probably wrong

8. Sock of Retribution

Probably not, since the skin/scale tissue would have to be transparent for it to be the same color as the blood. Again, I'm almost certain that their skin color is actually their base/primary color in Starbound, with the feathers of that same color just matching the skin and not the other way around.

hypergen8, Fevix and Firebird Zoom like this.
  9. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Actually, in humans, skin color IS affected by blood color. Without any blood, our skin would be quite yellow.

10. Iceball457

Iceball457 Phantasmal Quasar

Hence the tan/orange/brown color. (Feeling experimentatious? Try it out! go to a color picker and make a pale orange and a dark orange!!!)
    Although it's hard to say what color an Avali's skin would be without any dermatology info.

11. Sock of Retribution

I never said it wouldn't be affected, I just said it couldn't be the same color as the blood unless the skin was transparent.

I forgive, Fevix-senpai.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  12. Sock of Retribution

Does the USCM still exist in 1.0? I ask this because if there were any alien faction to butt heads with the Illuminate/ADF, it'd most likely be them. That could definitely influence the Illuminate's military presence and state of foreign relations.

13. YellowDemonHurlr

We don't see them directly, but the human flag hangs in the Protectorate Academy along with all the rest, suggesting that the Protectorate is not the official government of the humans, but rather a separate organization. If so, the United Systems still probably governs humanity, and the USCM is probably in charge of defending it.

14. Sock of Retribution

It makes sense when you consider that, as was said by Iceball on his profile, a protectorate is really an independent entity which still is dependent to a degree, mostly in the way of defense.

15. KapitanDietrich

KapitanDietrich Tentacle Wrangler

I see I haven't missed much since last checking up on the threads. God... wisdom teeth getting cut out suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Still recovering so like... pfffffttt... milkshakes and applesauce for me.

Also that brings up a dire question, would the Avali have any sort of heard animal they like... use for meat or some sort of milk? I'd like to see an Avali Milkshake.

16. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Harvesting milk reliably would require domestication; assuming there's any mammal analogue on Avalon. And as was previously stated, domestication isn't an Avali thing.

17. YellowDemonHurlr

Kiri milk. It's from fungus.

18. Androconia

Androconia Void-Bound Voyager

USCM does still exist in the game, they're usually small underground bunkers randomly located on planets. I frequently and biasedly tear them apart and leave a ruined husk behind.

Technically there's the USCM prisons buuuut, they don't really count.

bjorn0411 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  19. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Last I checked, the USCM were bunkers were removed... along with the NPCs that once inhabited them.

20. Sock of Retribution

I realize we've already discussed this, but to be frank I just keep coming back to thinking how vanilla Starbound's lore is somewhat of a mess currently. It's almost like there were things 1.0 tried to retcon, but for which there are still game assets. Or was it more of a "We're thinking this over and might re-implement it later down the line" deal?

And despite what we Avali fans might think, I argue that this does pertain to us as well. The Avali are almost entirely a Starbound race, so the state of Starbound's universe affects the Avali to an extent.