Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I pictured the same thing. Maybe there would be a few individual contests, stuff like archery, marksmanship, throwing, maybe even tanning and butchering speed.

2. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

man we're really running low on stuff to talk about aren't we

this is starting to seem like a very abandoned project, going by dev activity

3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Definitely not archery. They're avali. :p

4. Androconia

Androconia Void-Bound Voyager

Well much like the conversation about boxing back somewhere in the early 40's (Maybe) it would be something dealing with several small groups working together. Remember that Avali are pack creatures. They're organized, selected, hired, fired, detained as a pack. So anything they do will revolve around this.

So chances are, in their sports it would probably be "Get the virtual object(s) to the opposing location(s)" and the team would be sorted into 1-6 packs depending on how large the game is. This would probably also include their virtual games too. Like during the story of their version of 'call of duty' chances are, there'd be six slots for pack mates to take so they could all play.

The alternative to this would be horror games which would let the pack interact then split them up and force them to work through puzzles/encounters alone to create that sense of fear. It would certainly be interesting to see how AR games and sports (Which obviously don't have to be AR) would work.

5. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Sonar tag? I'm imagining something involving blindfolds or blind goggles. I know they can still see well enough, but this would force them to use their ears and noses. Maybe use a sound-emitting sports object of some kind. Ear football, maybe?

I'm curious as to what Avali cuisine is like. It would probably poison and freeze me, being ammonia based, though.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Spicy for the most part, they seem to have a thing for curry and tacos; though I agree that it wouldn't be fit for human consumption.

7. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

All avali sports would probably be sonar-based. Vision is secondary for them, their primary sense is hearing.

As for their cuisine, it's probably one of two extremes:
    1. Really, really boring.
    2. Really, really intense, favoring foods with very strong flavors.​

I say this because avali are chiefly predators. Humans have a fairly well-developed sense of taste because we eat plants, and plants can be poisonous. We use our sense of taste, in principle, to distinguish the poisonous foods from the safe ones. Except when we don't because we're weird. Carnivores tend to have far fewer taste buds than we do. Avali are chiefly carnivores, so they probably don't have a strong sense of taste.

This will probably lead to one of the two extremes. Either they just don't care and everything is bland, or they like tasty food but because they can't taste very well they use really strong (to us) ingredients.

This is consistent with the second extreme.

8. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not unlikely they eat spicy foods for the same reason humans in warm regions do, the chill a bit after eating it, as avali are desert dwellers, (although more snowy, less sandy) as they tipically dwelled in Avalon's warmer regions.

9. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Avalon's warmer regions are still well below that we experience in the arctic and antarctic. At least, as far as I understand.

hypergen8 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  10. Dipdoo

Avalon's warmest is actually quite a bit warmer than Earth's coldest. I believe the coldest temperature ever recorded was in Antarctica at -89.2 Celsius and the average during winter there is around -49 Celsius, while Avalon's average is between -40 and -50 Celsius according to the wiki.

11. YellowDemonHurlr

Do you happen to have the link to that source on Avalon's temperature range? That would be a useful piece of information to have, but it seems awfully narrow. There are places on Earth like the Sahara that vary more than that from day to night.

12. Dipdoo

Here's the link. That is the planetary average, so there should be places that have a much wider range than that, they're just averaged out by others.

Runa Rosarry and Firebird Zoom like this.
  13. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I stand corrected. But I found this, in the linked page:

"It is known that the planet has arid regions, analogous to desert in the planet's geosphere (Though by human standards they represent arctic tundra)"

Still nothing helpful, unfortunately. If only it had average temperatures for various regions of Avalon.

14. YellowDemonHurlr

Yeah, the average temperature isn't terribly useful without the range.

RowanEx and Firebird Zoom like this.
  15. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

I imagine that, despite their relations with humans, they would adopt games such as football or hockey. However I feel like soccer and such would not be adopted in any form given the vast sheets of fragile ice and requirement of a large amount of players. Though, soccer could potentially be made on the few cities of Avalon for passerby's. Though, I'm pretty sure any human games would be vastly outnumbered with avali games.
    Edit: Football as in American soccer.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Dragonclaw and Firebird Zoom like this.
  16. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

Looks like this thread is back on track to its original direction I suppose...

17. Runa Rosarry

Well most of those other messages about the temperate didn't appear for me until after I sent the sport related message :rofl:

18. YellowDemonHurlr

What to you suppose avali courtship is like? I'm picturing the male hopping around in a ridiculous mating dance and singing a ridiculous song. At least ancestrally.

I don't expect any form of physical competition between males because they're not sexually dimorphic for size.

19. Runa Rosarry

Perhaps they don't have courtships? Maybe they use a system where one is chosen as mate.
    But yeah, a courtship would have something to do with singing, rather than dancing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  20. YellowDemonHurlr

I hope not. That would suck. "Hey you and you, go have a kid."