Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

Starbound has shown the penguins to be ruthless businessmen... er, businesspenguins.

Dragonclaw likes this.
  2. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

Maybe those penguin are pirates, regardless I still find the repair of the FTL more fitting than a bunny happily attempting to hammer a nail into steel girder

Dragonclaw likes this.
  3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Well, any name is good enough unless it explicitely belongs to another race. I mean, think about some of our fantasy human names... Gandalf
    Still, it sounds good to me.
    It reminds me of Mass Effect though... <.<

4. Ser-matticus

How does Gandalf remind you of mass effect, first thing that comes to mind with that name is lord of the rings

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

"It" = "Thalia"

6. Ser-matticus

Oh I can see that but... Yeah I mixed Gandalf and mass effect

Lodish likes this.
  7. Ser-matticus

Quick we must put our brains together and think of more Avali dishes and foods, not grow able stuff just actual recipes

origamania likes this.
  8. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

we'd need more food-based lore, but one idea I had for an avali recipe would be an avalon-style "mega-steak" made of multiple alien steaks to mirror the enormous steaks they probably carve off those dreadnought herbivores. also, kiri jams and puddings, since it apparently could be served on its own as a sweet goop jelly.

Also, how would we create ammonia-based drinks?

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  9. Ser-matticus

Ammonia and various avali compatable ingredients and chemicals with the exception of bleach cause again that is a no no in every form

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

So, I've been thinking.

It still bothers me greatly how the random NPCs the game generates often come out looking like a box of Sour Nerds with their bright neon green and pink trim. Furthermore, I can't clamp the colours for females, because both genders share palettes.

However a realistation came to me; if I replace the markings on females, with dark feather equivalent markings, and remove the azo-dye colours from the male upper feathers, both male and female will only generate lore correct colours!... the downside. Players will not be able to create characters with artificial looking "dyed" feathers. If I do this, I will also create an add-on that restores the old feather colour options, this plugin would be multiplayer compatible

Any thoughts, major objections?

tl;dr You will not be able to have Avali like this or this without the plugin, but these are ok

This is a good idea. Admittedly I have not spent much time considering cuisine. They _are_ carbon based lifeforms, they can in principle render a major portion of other species ingredients edible; like wheat, corn, sugar etc. In fact the main reason I wanted to add a few Avali specific ingredients at all, was less for unique recipes and more because I felt it was important to illustrate how their own flora is quite alien.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

No major objections for me, but maybe you can go an alternate route and have there be two Avali species added by the mod? One would be playable with lore-unfriendly colors, and one would be strictly for NPCs like the Fenerox with lore-friendly colors. I think this would allow greater versatility in the long run, allowing both vibrant NPCs and 'dull' NPCs to spawn independently of the other,

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I believe this may cause problems with the engine recognizing that the 'dull' vali and player vali are the same species. It also makes modding slightly more tedious since if I make changes to one species I have to mirror that in the other most likely.

13. Ser-matticus

Well that expands their pallet options for cuisine what about Milk and eggs?

Also I love the term 'box of sour nerds' for you describing the color pallet avalibilty for the fluffy ones. Also what colors should they naturally have? are they within the parameters of natural hair/fur colors? Or is there some vibrancy?

14. Ser-matticus

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Both genders: Wide variety of muted natural tones in a variety of intensities; slate blue tones, sandy tones, white/grey/black, earthen reds.
    Females: Dark speckled patterns over the upper feathers (back, upper thigh, wings, ears, shoulders), same tone as main feathers
    Males: Iridescent colored bands, particularly prominent on the long feathers (skirt, wings, tail) and ears.

bAv likes this.
  16. Ser-matticus

ah, thank you that clarifies that, since i ask this and see the dull light blue on the ear, and crest tips of your avatar

btw how are the designs?

17. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually, 99% of the avali come out drab for me, with only a couple bright red and neon pink 'valis. :rofl: Though yeah, the RNG could come out short for some and produce an entire village of vaporwave avali.

Sounds great to me, I like the idea of gender-based palettes. However, a future alternative to making it a separate mod (if you can figure out how to do this) could be a 'salon' booth, crafting table, or craftable 'feather dye' in which you can input dyes and pixels to recolor a specific section (fluff/feather/trim) using the vanilla dyes. This could also potentially include changing your plumage style as well, but the color would be the focus. Does that sound good or plausible? It's a thing the avali could pull off.

I have a couple odd questions regarding avali food.

1. Would a sufficiently cold water slushie/ice cream be safely edible by avali, although be like piping hot cocoa and give heartburn? Kiri ice cream and the like probably would be marketed as 'masochist treats'.

2. Would they be able to extract/convert ammonia from water and minerals? I'd imagine they'd have to hydrate themselves somehow on water-focused worlds and create drinks and more liquid dishes (like soup).

3. This is a silly thing from a friend of mine, but considering how ammonia is often used for cleaning... Imagine an avali janitor occasionally taking a swig from the ammonia cleaner they use.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  18. Ser-matticus

yeah just a pack member on cleaning duty and he or she is drunk off of the bottle of cleaner.

that makes me wonder out of game and more lore wise, do the avali seek pleasure when off duty? given their views of mating is for solely reproduction and is determined by a matriarch i feel pack members do other things for bliss. putting getting drunk off of a bottle of Mr.clean, or eating a curious little mushroom.

19. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

Ammonia is their water, they don't get drunk off of it.

Although it does raise the question of if ammonia is a solvent like water...

20. Ser-matticus

then why in the mod do hyotl regard the avali aerogel bottle as a wine and avali regard it as a alcoholic beverage like wine?