Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well even if he focuses more on the mod it's not going to be an end of the month thing.

comet1337 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  2. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

I'd just be satisfied with an update from him that he is still working on it

3. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

You know, looking over what he would've seen by now if he checked ever so often, the Felin creator just made its own intro mission.

Okay, didn't we talk about the race starting in Avalon or something?

4. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

The species evolved on Avalon, yeah, but would the intro mission have you part of the Illuminate? Because then you'd probably have a job or something, y'know. You'd need a pretty damn good reason to stroll off and save the galaxy other than "Meh, I felt like it." Of course if you're on some random ass planet maybe the Ruin blows it up or something. Can't have the Ruin on Avalon though, that's just shoddy writing.

5. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

maybe if the Ruin wasn't literally only at the start and end of the storyline and stayed as a threat throughout
    then we'd have an excuse to just throw murder tentacle where ever

6. Ser-matticus

It Be cool if the ruin was a constant threat

7. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd say the ruin could be like a mid story-chapter end boss before a bigger threat like modded race specific end boss could work

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  8. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Nitpicky writer here: I feel as though the Ruin may be less than ideal thematically as the primary antagonist of the avali storyline. The Illuminate is an isolationist entity and I don't see any indication that that's going to change, but the whole point of the Ruin as a storywriting tool is that it's a threat to everybody that brings everybody together. You could have a story about losing the avali-first mentality, but I think that would hew too closely to the vanilla campaign (and besides, I already told that story :p). It would work great as an element to tie in the story to the rest of the galaxy, but I think there would be better central plots.

I think we're more likely to see a story about the internal workings of the Illuminate--finding out what the corruption is within the illuminate, and possibly the perils of transhumanism (which I vaguely recall reading was a theme of interest to Ryujjin in writing the avali).

9. Ser-matticus

10. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm really completely with YellowDemon on this one; this is the direction I'd like to see the avali take, as I think it's what Ryuu originally intended. Can't read the guy's mind, though.

stop reading my mind Yellow

Firebird Zoom and Dipdoo like this.
  11. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

It's definitely the more dynamic and interesting route.
    It would provide insight to anything beyond entry-level knowledge of the Illuminate and throw many interesting twists with the magic of politics. Plenty to think about with that.

12. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It'd be better than what Chucklefish did with Starbound 1.0, that's for darn sure.

Toa_Derax and Firebird Zoom like this.
  13. LunarAster

LunarAster Master Chief

That's a burn so hot that even a Cooling EPP couldn't protect against it.

Still, a sign from the Mod Creator would be nice.

14. RowanEx

I have a bad idea that someone goes in to fetch him from his game smoothly, then goes to ask when he's coming back here...

15. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah bad idea indeed, dragging him from his thing wouldnt exactly help with motivation in any way. But an update would still be nice, and theres nothing wrong with some wishful thinking. :)

All I know since the last update from him is that the ship looks a little more clean and theres a new thing, can only assume its a crafting station of some sort, with robotic arm(s).

16. RowanEx

Guys, speaking of Ryuu's updates, have you seen his Youtube? Apparently, week/s ago, he posted something. Huh...

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

18. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm most of all just excited over the new blocks, those very dark metal blocks look awesome. The new art in general looks awesome, very coherent and sharp, love Ryuu's style.

What are everyone else excited over the most? The lore potential perhaps?

19. Androconia

Androconia Void-Bound Voyager

Seeing/meeting the oracle, convincing higher up to be more flexible for the illuminate (Maybe being forced to take them out and maybe not for the betterment of avali as a whole) many other threats. Maybe the main threat against the avali is the race that lifted them to the point they're at and we learn it wasn't humans or anything starbound already has to offer.

Not trying to overhype, but there's a lot of possibilities.

20. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I'd love to have the Avali not be racist anymore. I have a peaceful colony on a planet somewhere, and if I ever get this mod, I'm afraid I'd be hard-pressed to get some Avali citizens, because racism is outlawed on this planet.