Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

It might run counter to how we've seen human communist states do things, but it's not necessarily counter to communism itself, which is primarily characterized by centralized ownership and distribution of goods. A communist state could theoretically allow a high degree of self-governance (whatever that means, exactly) while still managing the economic aspects of life, which seems alluded to by phrases like how management is handled locally "provided they hit their milestones for civic needs and productivity" and how the Oracle AI "manages distribution of resources to the colonies and sets production targets based on the parameters given."

And of course, the wiki is unreliable because Ryuujin has stated that it's written by the Illuminate. It presents the Avali how the Illuminate wants to present the Avali.

2. Ledhead

Ledhead Phantasmal Quasar

Yay might actually install my first custom race mod when this gets up and stable.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5 using Tapatalk.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  3. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

They certainly seem to be very meritocratic. Certain packs doing jobs based on their proficiency over anything else, sometimes entire tribes working on their specific expertise and little else. It lines up with their efficiency focused style and their bursts of activity interrupted by naps rather than hours of sleep.

Then again, any smart governance would put the best people for the job up to do that job, albeit with more outliers when compared to a meritocracy. And YDH is right about the Illuminate putting themselves in as bright a light as they can, just like any smart group would.

Marxon and Firebird Zoom like this.
  4. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Laws? Outrageous fashion choices? Religion?

Firebird Zoom and comet1337 like this.
  5. YellowDemonHurlr

I'll take option B. Colonial Avali have the right to remain ridiculous.

Firebird Zoom and Dipdoo like this.
  6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That brings to mind the amusing concept that would be an avali 'high-fashion' show.

7. Dipdoo

I can imagine it being very noisy, lots of fashion-ch(r)imes
    I'm picturing a 'naturalist' fashion show, fancy feathers and the like.

8. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Not to be confused with the naturist fashion show.

Firebird Zoom and Dipdoo like this.
  9. Dipdoo

I can see the brochure now. "The best camps this side of the tundra!"

10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

"Despite the theme of the show, you might still want to bring a coat."

11. Ashielf

Ashielf Void-Bound Voyager

Just spent the last few hours or so reading through most of this thread and watching it nearly derail many times... Ah, when fans get together. Good times.
    Anywho, I am greatly anticipating further updates! I've played with this mod since it first came out and I truly cannot imagine playing Starbound without it.
    While the Triage mod did well to hold over until this revamp, triage is misused in this situation. It was more like life support in intensive care!

hypergen8 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  12. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Like the time we were talking about the Mjolnir armor?

13. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That can be considered somewhat relevant, since the conversation was about avali power armour, though the avali stuff is less fantastical.

14. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

The Avali are extremely adorable. I want plushies. Not in-game. IRL.

15. Ashielf

Ashielf Void-Bound Voyager

Anyone know anyone artsy enough to do that? I'd definitely pay for one.
    Or several.:disshappy:

16. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

If someone announced they are offering to make plushies provided you give them a base... They'd be overworked and overloaded with orders

17. Dipdoo

That's why we need several someones! :p

18. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm wondering if that avali sprite change idea of Ryuujin's ever came to fruition. I would quote him about that, but kinda too lazy to read back through the sea of posts.

19. YellowDemonHurlr

I think he said he would probably roll it back. I support that decision: the 3x3 eyes were just too big. Big eyes are cute, but really big eyes overwhelm other facial features and make it less expressive.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. BlueShard

BlueShard Giant Laser Beams

Does anyone actually know how @RyuujinZERO is going? He hasn't replied to this thread for a while now, and his playable mod deadline is getting mighty close. It is understandable if he is caught up, though, he seems to actually have a life, unlike myself.

Marxon and Firebird Zoom like this.