Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

i was more thinking outside the realms of starbound
    considering the avali work under fairly hard scifi, while SB has literal space magic wands

and honestly the sniper rifle stomps basically all other guns

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

That heavily depends on what you'd compare them to, comparing anything to Warhammer makes it look like a toy, Doom Guy being the only exception.

Never forget accuracy through volume, if you fire enough bullets, one of them will hit. :p Especially when close.

3. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Also known as the 'Spray and pray' method.

4. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

What do you mean by this?

5. Dipdoo

How strong they are in comparison to things depends on what they're compared to and almost everything in the Warhammer 40K universe is absurdly strong.

6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

And I'd be of the opinion that we really shouldn't make comparisons to WH40K; there's a shed-load of escalation there.

louiseleon, Dipdoo and Firebird Zoom like this.
  7. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

that's what i was wondering, canon/ lore wise
    what other civilizations are there and what tech do they have

8. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

It's not just strength and durability. Their biochemistry is also inferior: without oxygen, they are left with only anerobic respiration, which means their energy budget is much less than a similar organism that breathes oxygen (I suspect that it would actually be so low as to make intelligent life unlikely, but I have no stats to back that up). They have low endurance, and they can't even think as quickly as we can individually. Basically, evolving on an ice moon has given them a long list of handicaps. They overcome the slow thought obstacle by thinking as a pack as if they were a multi-core processor, but it still leaves low endurance--a pretty big handicap when faced with a human, which is an endurance predator. Wearing prey down is our ancestral method of hunting.

With melee weapons they'd have a better chance, but still be at a disadvantage.

Firearms would level the playing field more. When you have a gun, it doesn't matter how hard you can pull the trigger. It does matter how big you are because small targets are hard to hit. On the other hand, over long ranges their effectiveness would go down because of poor eyesight. They could fix this with sensors, but we can aim over long distances with just our eyes, and can do it even better with a couple glass lenses.

They could, however, use drones as quite effective force multipliers. Of course, once you bring tech in for avali, you should probably bring tech in for their opponents, which would probably be similar in sophistication.

9. Dipdoo

I'm not entirely sure about most of the other races, Florans steal whatever they can, Humans were pretty well equipped. That's about the extent of my knowledge there.
    Avali took the tech of their not so benevolent benefactors and expanded what they could on it, giving them some better tech in some areas and worse in others. Teleporters for instance, their teleporter tech is inferior to all other races. While their railgun tech is superior.

I'd argue melee weapons that even out the reach gap of being smaller than your opponent would give them an advantage, while they aren't strong they are very agile, and strength matters less as technology improves. A normal man would be hard-pressed to avoid a near-instant spear thrust.
    Their shock troops would likely be a force to be reckoned with. They're already focused on speed, even more speed and increased punch would give them a special status. It also plays to their lack of endurance, you don't need to play the long game when you can slam something out before the other guy can react.

In terms of weaponry, I'd say their tech is superior to most others, at least in terms of widespread quality, their best might not match the best of another race, but their best would be more widely available.

10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Also, for the arugument that the avali are physically weaker, they readily use powered exoskeletons to augment their soldiers. It's not the all solving hammer, but it's something to keep in mind.

11. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

For the argument that the avali have any kind of weakness, augments.
    I mean sure, there's Theseus' paradox, but still.

12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That one comes up with regular cellular replacement; beside as long as the brain remains intact, I doubt that one is huge issue.

13. Dipdoo

But everything changed when the EMP nation attacked, then again EMP resistance.
    That, and advanced augments like that probably aren't available to every single soldier.

14. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

now that i think about it, a lot of folk seem to think the entire tech roster is avaliable to everyone for everyday use
    it wouldn't be high-end if it was ubiquitous shit that's a difficult word to type

15. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

One would assume/hope military cybernetics would be hardened against EMP weapons.

16. Dipdoo

If both combatants have The best equipment available barring a full mech suit, I'd say an Avali soldier would have an advantage over a human soldier. But there's a big cost and resource difference between the two. It's a very case-by-case deal there.
    Military augments probably are EMP resistant, yes.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Okay, augments and heavy armor cost pixels... or avali credits, whatever currency they use.
    In which case, how the bloody hell would an avali end up in a boxing ring with a human and not die because it's way too hot/cold?

louiseleon and Firebird Zoom like this.
  18. Dipdoo

The relatively cheap temperature augments. :p
    Having enough augments to qualify as more machine than Avali would cost a lot.

19. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I can't find the relevant section, so maybe this is no longer accurate, but I remember reading that the avali are communists. No internal currency, just stocks of foreign currency for trade with other nations.

You know, the more I read about avali centralization, the more I realize that if there's corruption on the scale of Big Ape in avali society like Ryujiin says, they're in big trouble. Communism means the government controls the flow of goods, the various industries are connected through them, they hold the monopoly over interstellar-capable warships... even child rearing is centralized. It's scary.

20. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That's certainly out of date; the relevant section is this one. The main authority of Avalon being the Illuminate, who are described as a 'scientific meritocracy', and while highly centralized, provides a 'high degree of freedom for tribal self governance'. This sort of runs counter to a communist ideology.