Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

just because it's how things are in starbound, doesn't mean it's how it is in normal avali canon.

hypergen8 and Snow_Blaze like this.
  2. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Still, intergalactic travel makes interstellar travel seem trivial. I highly doubt the avali would come across humans if they lived in different galaxies.

3. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. The distances between different galaxies is so ridiculously vast that, even with FTL, it would take many generations to make a single trip. In fact, I know of only two times that a trans-galactic voyage has actually been made in sci fi, and that's the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars and the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k. In both cases it's implied that it took millennia from them to arrive from wherever they came from.

EDIT: Then again, Mass Effect: Andromeda is set to take place in an entirely different galaxy, and given the series' penchant for scientific explanation, they've probably figured some more or less feasible-sounding method for trans-galactic travel. Though even in their case, I'm hedging a bet it probably involved cryo-stasis or something to survive the time and distance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Snow_Blaze likes this.
  4. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

What, besides the usual 'the mass effect is the all solving hammer' explanation?

Snow_Blaze likes this.
  5. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

To be fair, inter-system Space Travel in Starbound only seems to take about 30 seconds at most. With that, you could argue that inter-galactic travel would at most take a year or two.

Snow_Blaze likes this.
  6. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

But the FTL drive takes the same amount of time no matter the distance, just more fuel.
    Conclusion, travelling to another galaxy could be done in 30 seconds. You would just need a lot of fuel.

Cryptoid likes this.
  7. leinglo

I would hardly take the FTL mechanics of Starbound, as we see them in the game, as a hard standard by which the Starbound setting works. Aside from the fact that here is virtually no explanation for how it works, what the limitations might be, etc. (Not even a BS “blahblahblah to the technobabble so that we can yadayadayada”), the FTL mechanics in Starbound are likely simplified for the sake of the gameplay anyway. Heck, the universe generator doesn't even abide by a basic galactic structure, so the game presentation kinda needs to be taken with a grain of salt on all fronts. As discussed before, the Avali mod puts more effort into realism than the game itself does, and while there's nothing particularly wrong with that, it is what it is.

Although…I could’ve swore I read somewhere that travel time scaling with travel distance was part of the game plan at some point, though I’m not sure if it was axed in favor of simplicity or if it just was never implemented in the first place. I could be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

I do think that the technobabble explanation for FTL in Starbound is "We have no idea, it works because Erchium". Also I think that I've had different travel times at some point, I think it was before the giraffe update.

9. leinglo

If there were scaling travel times in pre-Giraffe, I never noticed it myself. To be fair, though, I was never (and still aren't, honestly) much of a galactic traveler. Tend to squat around the stars near the spawn system and make small jumps because I'm a fuel miser. But if you're correct, that just illustrates my point. The mechanics of how the Starbound universe works have changed, and probably will change, so much that you can't really take any mechanics as truly "canon".

10. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

"It's space magic, we don't have to explain it."

Cryptoid likes this.
  11. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Yeah, i'm fairly certain that the travel time is determined by gameplay rather than what makes sense. It's not fun to take longer to go longer distances if there's nothing to do along the way. I'm guessing the travel times are actually just interactive loading screens.

12. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

i can confirm this
    was on my ship and wiped the universe
    the moment i boot up, i'm in warp and it takes a solid two minutes to get me somewhere
    i'm pretty sure there's a minimum warp time too (except within a system)

13. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is a rather... odd subject to bring up, but I've never quite understood the genitalia of avali. The wiki only states that genetic material is passed using cloacae and in the same manner as terrestrial birds, but this is a rather vague statement. It seems there was a sketch on the wiki that somewhat clarifies this; the female avali cloacal vent and anal cavity are in fact one and the same. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...Biology.png/revision/latest?cb=20160324105553

How would this even work though? I've tried searching for sources of how bird sex actually takes place, to no avail. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. ;)

Furthermore, would the males be the same way or have something seemingly much more accessible, like a front-mounted cloaca at least?

14. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

I dont recall this image being in the wiki nor Ryuu drawn it, who keep putting non canon stuffs in the wiki?
    although it is pretty well detailed but still I doubt Ryuu would put it into canon, atleast not 100%-ly

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  15. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

pretty sure ryuujin didn't make that image, meaning it isn't canon and should probably be removed from the wiki.

Comito and Sock of Retribution like this.
  16. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeh, I was thinking that too. Still, the info was there and I kinda soaked it up naturally; forgot to take it with a grain of salt :/

17. hypergen8

hypergen8 Guest

it was posted in the comments of biology, it even had a note that it was in no way canon.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  18. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey, I thought it's in the fan art section!

19. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

i don't want to be 'that guy', but...

progress update?

20. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

he's still in the states and still hasn't had a lot of time to work on the mod.