Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Welp. Time to get out the brain bleach. I know I had a bottle around here somewhere.
    upload_2016-8-13_11-38-32.png

Ah, there it is.

2. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

Sorry but it is true. Also if you were Avali and exposed yourself to bleach would make you the most toxic being in a room, ammonia and bleach make a dangerously toxic fume

This simply adds to the many things that make them a species that are remarkably dangerous even if they were very friendly with you, additionally if you wanted to make some Avali hybrid you need some really advanced gentic manipulation skill

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Ser-matticus

Back to mod discussion and the safe side of the Internet :p I wonder if the Avali will ever get a hunting rifle,'back in the triage someone thought of and sprites new Avali weapons and one such was a survival rifle that had the as I dub it
    'Hunters affinity' which like the bow and spears yielded more meat and the uncommon drops from enemy kills.

4. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Skin tends to be room temperature, only VERY fresh bodily fluids and waste would be body temperature, that said, we'd still need one hell of a winter coat to manage cuddles.

A futuristic Avali hunting rifle, that sounds pretty neat.

5. Ser-matticus

Additionally I wonder what drone pets are we getting?'combat oriented or ship pets or both?

Next I wonder how the respawn animation given that Avali hatch from eggs it won't be too different from an avain one

Next is if ryuujin will make an Avali specific ship layout from first to max level or leave it as is and let people decide if they want the standard human based ship or the alternate design, additionally will we get a more well designed SAIL ai portrait, the emblem isn't bad but I'd like an animated Avali ai, maybe a fellow pack member talking to you via the nexus or an advisory AI created by the oracle that appears as an Avali

Next is concerning stations, i said this time and time again and makes me sound like a broken record but I seriously feel the Avali should have alternate stations given the vanilla versions seem bulky, and lack the 'Avali touch' granted we don't know how wooden Avali furniture Or workstations would look since all we see of them is mechanized and metallic.

I came up with some designs of the three tiers of furnace each fit in the sprite size of four blocks wide and two tall, each have a relatively trapezoid shape and still work on the designs of stone,to metalic, to technical. Their alternative names would be in order. kiln, smelter, and re-assembler.

Given time and consideration I can design the majority of the stations for Ryuujin but again that is if he goes through with the idea of doing so

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Until I can get a better feel for the kinds of pets I can create and how to deploy them most expeditiously I can't say for sure, the more the better though. You're definitely getting a protocol drone on the ship,

It'll be VERY different. We're not cheesing this with clones ;)

My current plan is that you will start out with the "biggest" ship technically. But it's heavily damaged and lost life support to most decks, instead of replacing your ship for a bigger one, you instead restore life support to the other decks. Having only 1 ship design means I can put a lot more detail into it.

I'm going to spend some time considering how best to approach this. I want to avoid this mindset of the Avali having to have "Avali-style" equivalents for every single prop in the game. At the very least the lower tier craft stations are unlikely to have an "Avali style" to them.

I think people forget they have thick, insulating feathers. You could put your hand on their feathers for quite a long while before the heat began to penetrate down to their skin, or your hand started to get ludicrously cold.

7. leinglo

Perhaps you could make a separate NPC race of drones that Avali could use as followers or crew. The drone sprite could be set as a body.png, with the arms and head pngs blanked.

8. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Instead you'll be cheesing it with an emergency teleport directly to the medical bay?

9. Ser-matticus

I like the idea with the ships already

Well tomarrow I can show an example and you'll see what I mean for stations.

Also this question wasn't answered how many members are in an average pack. I read a whole lot on Avali on the old wiki and your art dump on the nexus (btw love the juvinille Avali, and ori sketches) and saw a small tribe is composed of four or three packs but it never determined the amount of individuals. Also is Thalia a good Avali name?

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Dude this idea is just chock-full of awesome. I wonder why nobody else has thought to do this yet.

I agree with this. I'm sure the Avali evolved their style as they learned better tech over the ages.

11. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Oh the wonders of natural coats.

In regards to crafting station themes I'd say the first level stations would make perfect sense being as it is. Whatever could be thrown together relatively quickly to serve as a stepping stone for the "Real Deal" stations.

12. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

@craftingstationtalk - My suggestion is maybe allow an Avali-edition sidegrade on the final form of crafting station perhaps, only available once you get the proper one? For example, complete the Foraging Table, and then you can use it as a crafting object with some graphine, aerogel and a few Avali blocks to turn it into an Avali Foraging Table and stuff like that.

13. Farrem

Farrem Void-Bound Voyager

From what I recall, Avali packs are usually composed of 4-6 members, though it could be more or less depending on the culture of the area or if relationships form in excess/smaller amounts.

14. leinglo

That's kind of exactly what the Logistics Frigate does, as well as Orpheus Mining Colony and a few others. You're certainly right in that it's awesome, though, I'd love to see what Ryuujin can do with it.

15. Ser-matticus

Well I still say if we stick with that then we at least have a loom instead of spinning wheel for tier one and the nano lathe/loom have bigger counterparts given that the stations and their upgrades still fit in the same dimensions of the lower tier

16. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

I remember reading somewhere (the Avali wiki I think) that the Avali who live off of Avalon use genetic and cybernetic enhancements to make themselves resistant to different temperatures, otherwise they'd burst into flames the moment they arrived on a typical garden world.

We did indeed do that with the Avali Logistics Frigate mod. My part was mostly just recoloring the Logistics Frigate, most of the other changes from the original Logistics Frigate were the work of graycatgrayhat and lazarus.

17. Ser-matticus

I wonder what the ships design is, will it be? Granted idk how Avali design their ships when it comes to their functions such as how an exploration vessel, production vessel, military ship, and logistics ship. (Even though the freighter is nice it visually doesn't suit the Avali besides color choice)

18. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

This honestly sounds like a really awesome idea. It's a lot better than making a bunny build a new section into your ship. The Avali mod is my favorite mods and I have to have it to play starbound 99% of the time. I'm really happy to see a new version coming out.

19. Ser-matticus

Penguins now, builder bunny got retired

Dragonclaw likes this.
  20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

I see a penguin off I the side right now. It's wearing a crown and is standing on some more penguins.
    I wonder if that penguin saw the bunny as competition...