Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

It's stated in the lore that Avali prothesics and augmentations are so advanced that there's basically no difference in visuals. At least as far as I'm aware.
    ...now I just imagined Motoko Kusanagi as an Avali.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Though I would be surprised with access to that technology that there wouldn't be a market for looking 'full robot'.

3. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Freaking Avali in the Shell, m8. That's a brilliant idea. xD

Batou as an Avali, geez that's hard to imagine

TheNextDecade likes this.
  4. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Can you point me to that lore reference?

5. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

People who think you can just replace which element you breath have no idea what role it plays in keeping your cells alive.

With life on Earth (well, most of it), we breath oxygen because it is needed for energy: or cells require consistent flows of energy to continue working. Essentially, we take sugars and oxygen and preform a chemical process to release this energy. Our cells are built to not only contain the correct environment for this process, but also not be damaged by our chemicals of choice (do not mess with oxidizers) and possibly store them.

All other "breaths this gas" creatures follow this idea of basic gaseous element that can react with a complex compound under organic circumstances (your body would not use hydrocarbons if they set on fire in the mere presence of oxygen). Switching this means replacing every cell with one built to breath and use the new gas, possibly even changing what your diet is.

So yeah, good luck with that.

SCN-3_<NULL> likes this.
  6. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

7. TheNextDecade

8. YellowDemonHurlr

So, at that point... are they still avali? Could an alien undergo similar treatment and pass as an avali?

If the avali can do this, the other races an almost certainly do so as well (either developed on their own or stolen). Could an avali stop being an avali and start being a human, or vice versa? If civilians are undergoing this procedure, how do you detect infiltrators?

And if you're undergoing augmentation to live more easily among other races, why keep the avali body shape? Go for something bigger and with less awkward limbs.

9. TheNextDecade

Who knows, maybe they're doing that already. We just don't know. Though in terms of less awkward limbs, I'd say that awkward limbs that you'd used for your entire life are still easier to use than perfect limbs that you have to learn how to use. Especially so when all Avali tech had been built for these awkward limbs.

10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

And there's also the possibility that you don't go full cyborg immediately. You lose a limb here, an eye there, a few organs then, and before long you've gone full cyborg progressively. Since you might want to maintain some symmetry and consistency with your augments, the end result will be similar to what you started with.

11. TheNextDecade

Hmm... How do you think, how probable it is that the "Visitors" had left a recessive gene in some Avali that makes them much more tolerant of heat, and eventually it activated in two Avali who became a family and left to live on Earth? And parented a kid who also inherited that gene.

12. Silverotter

Aaand now we're in full fanfic territory.

Kohrokho and SCN-3_<NULL> like this.
  13. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

The problem you're trying to solve is a chemical one, not a biological one. Yes, it is a matter of biology when talking about how the avali use ammonia as the solvent in their biology, but the problems ammonia has with high temperatures are chemistry related. No amount of genetic fixes will solve that.

The way that the avali cope with high temperatures is through technology; protective suits, for example.

14. YellowDemonHurlr

Plus, Avali don't breathe oxygen. And perhaps more importantly, they evolved in an oxygen-free environment. Oxygen can actually be considered poisonous because it messes up a lot of chemical reactions: we evolved to carefully control where oxygen is or is not allowed to be. Avali wouldn't have that unless they evolved in the presence of oxygen.

Temperature-wise, I think they'd actually be okay in arctic regions.

15. Silverotter

Thank you for repeating my previous big point. I swear I'm goddamn invisible.

16. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well you don't just... post a big point. You make other people post it and then you repost the same thing so they're the invisible ones.
    Strategy, Silver. Strategy. :)

Lodish likes this.
  17. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

I wonder what other systems will be altered given we've seen a new tent system, I'm excited to maybe Avali random NPC quests for making a new pack

18. YellowDemonHurlr

I blame the fact that I was on my phone at the time.

Come to think of it, would avali actually need to breathe? To the best of my knowledge, the only thing oxygen does in generating cellular energy is act as a place to put loose electrons when the cell is done with them. I can't find a comprehensive list of electron receptors, but it seems like the majority are things like nitrate, nitrite, and iron, which are not gases.

19. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

If I'm not mistaken, they breath methane as a source of carbon.

20. Silverotter

Oxygen is used in the reaction of carbohydrates to produce energy. If you can find a chemical reaction that doesn't go off on its own while still being easy to use, it can support a lifeform.

So technically you can have a species that just eats two different sources of chemicals to n survive.