Automation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Saturn_, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Saturn_

Saturn_ Space Hobo

I think this game would work amazingly if it took a turn towards automation... in other words.. auto farmers, ranchers miners... an auto sorting system crafting system enlarge what you need to craft to do what...

now... I don't think this game needs an extensive automation system.. while it would be nice it could also ruin the game... I feel like the game could use a simple automation system with a bit of crafting and some simple features...

however if the game took a turn where automation involved intergelactic travel and shipping supplies with pirates and such that would be awesome... alot to ask for i know... but what im suggesting is just add a small amount of automation to the game such as adding an auto farmer/rancher and make it so live stock now require being fed constantly and maybe even make it so your tenants require a steady supply of food.. maybe add things such as a power system and make it so every so often bandits will attack a settlement and you can set up auto turrets and such to try and fend them off

side note(1):
    maybe even make it so you can give quests to your villagers/crew and they would fulfill it.. or at least attempt to..(this again i know is asking a bit much in the way of ai...)

side note(2):
    You should add some sort of graphical identifier for how spoiled food is maybe like a green outline around the food that slowly fades to red as the food gets more and more spoiled its really annoying to have to hover over each peace of food

side note(3):
    I would have added a pole but idk if you can or how to add one... if an admin would like to come on and edit the post to add one that has 3 options of
    YES ADD ALL THE AUTOMATION ()

ya a small amount of automation would be nice ()

I HATE AUTOMATION IT MAKES MY BRAIN HURT ()

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Jappards likes this.
  2. xZexta

xZexta Aquatic Astronaut

3. escondida

escondida Big Damn Hero

Just to throw in a couple of cents here, simple automation options can lead to a lot of interesting gameplay, as it lets players find clever solutions to problems and create elegant designs (-: . An example of the sort of thing that ends up being a game changer: a Minecraft mod called Better Than Wolves added a Hopper block. Placed over a container, anything that fell or was deliberately placed by the player into the hopper would be fed into the container below as space allowed. In Starbound terms, this could (for instance) take the form of a mini-teleporter; you dump all your ores and stuff to be processed into it, and it sends 'em to be smelted as the smelter finishes old jobs.

OP also mentioned auto-sorting. Considering the sheer number of items you accrue in Starbound, something like this would make a *huge* difference. Having a single spot in your home where you can just dump all your new junk and have it sorted into (say) furniture, building blocks, etc., filling nearby chests somehow tagged with what they accept, would be an incredible time-saver and cut down significantly on housekeeping effort. In-universe explanation: well, we already know that teleportation exists!