1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. KamiAmaya

KamiAmaya Void-Bound Voyager

Got the loading logo once before the following errors...

ERROR DIALOG #1
    Access violation detected at 0x77c33509 (Read of address 0)

ERROR DIALOG #2
    Stack Trace
    007D25B0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    77C33509
    77C33C1B
    77C33C60
    00B6193F
    7C90E920

ERROR DIALOG #3
    Runtime Error!
    Program: ...les\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    This application the requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

2. ArchonLyra

ArchonLyra Void-Bound Voyager

I was able to successfully load into the game, create a character and enter a new world.

The lag is pretty intense. Not entirely unbearable but it makes combat difficult. I'm unsure how much of this is an XP thing, or a 'my crappy specs' thing.

You may experience some cursor lag when you're in the UI screens, but that doesn't seem to translate to in-game issues.

Kami, try verifying your files again in Steam, just in case. Bartwe did say not all issues were fixed, though. But fingers crossed for you. I sadly don't know how to read error logs. =(

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  3. Balfuset

Balfuset Void-Bound Voyager

Wait it works now? o_O Darn it I tried running it this morning and didn't even get as far as the logo! T_T

Then again, it didn;'t immediately focus on the Starbound window and it coluld me my attempt to Alt+Tab into it caused issues...

4. rossol

rossol Master Chief

Get same errors, even after verifying files.

KamiAmaya likes this.
  5. ArchonLyra

So far I'm the only one who's been able to successfully launch it. =(

6. Balfuset

Balfuset Void-Bound Voyager

Lucky~

Welp, we shall wait patiently. Either way, have fun if it continues to work! :rofl:

7. ArchonLyra

I noticed I get the same (or similar) error when I try to run starbound in open_gl mode. Have y'all changed around your starbound.exe and starbound_opengl.exe files at all?

ancientterror likes this.
  8. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Void-Bound Voyager

I'm running XP aswell (SP2) and getting the same problems as most others. The newest patch managed to get past the Chucklefish logo but freezes on the loading screen. I got the same error message that has been posted already, and noticed something odd. Here's a short snippet from the log file:

Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Error: Access violation detected at 0x77c33509 (Read of address 0)
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Error: Stack Trace...
    007D25B0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)

The first access violation error is after trying to read the config file, but the odd part was the next error that tries to read from 'C:/starbound/..' which is not the correct directory. The config file is accessed from '..\starbound.config' however the next access is from 'C:/starbound/..'. There's a slight problem with that: my games are on my D drive, not C drive, and they are in my steam directory, not the root directory. The access violation is a problem, but so too is trying to read from the wrong directory. Hope this helps a little with fixing the problem. I've been looking forward to playing this game for ages.

9. ArchonLyra

I might send that up as a bug report too, just in case it gets missed in here. If you haven't already I mean.

10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Void-Bound Voyager

Nope I haven't sent it as a bug report. Feel free to post it as one. Whatever it takes to get the issue looked at and fixed sooner so us XP users can play this awsome game.

11. ArchonLyra

I've started getting stack trace errors myself, and a runtime error as well. Doing some testing to see if I can get it working again.

12. ArchonLyra

Sorry, by "I might" I meant you should, in case they need more info from you. ^_^

13. ArchonLyra

I may have figured out a workaround for the stack trace errors.

The only thing I did differently between the successful launch, and the error-ridden launch was I had set the CPU affinity to CPU 0, I forgot to do that the second time.

Upon doing so again as the Starbound.exe is loading, the game successfully loads again without any errors. I've quoted Johnnykill's walkthrough on how to do this on your computer below, and tweeted this info to Bartwe. I really hope this helps :love:

Note: This needs to be done as the starbound.exe is loading, on every launch. It helps to have your task manager open when you hit "Launch Starbound" so you can grab it asap.

Edit: Looks like I also had to set the priority to high as well, otherwise I'd still receive stack trace errors. If just the affinity isn't working, try that too.

It can still take a long time to load, especially sitting at the "loading" screen. Be patient with it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  14. KamiAmaya

KamiAmaya Void-Bound Voyager

I managed to set the affinity after a 3rd try and while it stayed at the loading screen longer, it eventually came up with the same errors. High priority was already set. The only thing that changed was, like I said, I got to see the loading screen for a some seconds longer, and the RAM usage went from 680k to around +700k lol

I've verified the files thru steam as suggested as well. I guess some of XP users just have to wait a bit longer *jealous* :p

15. ArchonLyra

Aww, I was really hoping that would help you Kami. And if it makes you feel any better, yes I can get in but the lag is bad enough for me right now that I can't hunt effectively, and therefore I can't feed my characters and keep them alive. xD So for now I'll just have to wait until further fixes/optimizations come out.

16. Denholme

Denholme Space Hobo

This does in fact work, at least for me. It's hard to do it manually from the Task Manager so I got the so called THG Task Assignment Manager to do it for me automatically. Set the affinity for both starbound exe files and the launcher exe and the game worked.

Update: Correction: it worked once. I quit the game because the system got so unresponsive it was hard to write this post and when I tried loading it again the second time it proceeded to crash as usual. It might work once every several times, who knows.

17. ArchonLyra

Were either of you able to play the game successfully, or are you running into similar lag issues in it?

18. Colton

Colton Phantasmal Quasar

It was fine up until I beamed down. Then I got the crash with the same errors as the other people here. :/

19. Denholme

Denholme Space Hobo

I only went into the options menu and then shut the game down to write my post. The main menu worked well for all that's worth.

20. ArchonLyra

It's progress at least, and any progress is good!