Modding Help asset_unpacker.exe Missing in GOG Version

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Reoejet, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Reoejet

Reoejet Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys. I'm trying to to unpack the packed.pak assets of Starbound but for some reason, I don't seem to have the asset_unpacker.exe in my folders. I have the GOG version of Starbound and it's up to date. Also running a 64-bit system but I can't find the .exe even in Starbound's win64 folder. Is it just me or is this really how it is for the GOG version?

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I don't have the GoG version, but look in \starbound\win32\

That's where it is for the Steam version.

3. Reoejet

Reoejet Void-Bound Voyager

Oh I forgot to mention I don't have a win32 folder. It just goes like \starbound\win64\. Maybe because I have a 64-bit system? Either way, I don't have an asset_unpacker.exe in any of the folders.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Download the 32bit version. its in there.

5. katana

katana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yup, on GOG, Starbound x64 does not contain the binaries for x86.

Perhaps we could get builds of asset_packer, asset_unpacker for x64?

6. grayzzur

grayzzur Void-Bound Voyager

I have GOG x64 version as well, and I was able to unpack the assets with a bit of work. From GOG Galaxy, open up the Starbound page. Under the More button select Backups & Goodies. Under Backups there should be two versions listed, click on the 32-bit one to manually download the 32-bit installer. Once downloaded you should find a setup_starbound_32_*.exe file in your GOG Games\!Downloads\starbound folder. Run that, but manually select an alternate install location (I made it install to "starbound32"). In your 64-bit version Starbound directory, make a win32 folder (same location as the win64 folder), and find the win32 folder in the 32-bit version you just installed. You need to copy the following files over: asset_unpacker.exe, cygogg-0.dll, cygvorbis-0.dll, cygvorbisfile-3.dll, freetype6.dll (grab asset_packer.exe too if you want it). I don't think you need any of the other files. Now all the instructions about unpacking assets should work for your main game, and you can dump the 32-bit install.

(Please be careful and don't accidentally whack your 64-bit game install, that would be bad!)

7. grayzzur

grayzzur Void-Bound Voyager

...had some trouble re-launching the game after I did this, wound up needing to uninstall-reinstall the 64-bit version.