1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence (Old Messy Thread)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

I get an alert, I like every post in that thread. It's not that hard.
    But thanks still.:love:

Lodish likes this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

This is beyond decent, definitely a very well defined and quite consistent style.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Oh, right, art. Umm... I should say something encouraging about it rather then just liking things...
    This is beyond decent, definitely a very well defined and quite consistent style.
    Yeah...

4. Jareix Cryvix

Couldn't have said it better myself.

CondescendedWow and Jimlad 42 like this.
  5. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

If you take an art class they'll teach you how to "properly" critique, and then 2 months later you'll realize how little you actually end up using that skill aha

6. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

It's good to see that you're still going at it. I'm surprised you still remember this old monarch, if this were a real land I probably would have been usurped a while ago.

Jimlad 42, Alkanthe and The Squid like this.
  7. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

What? No! I'm much to clever for that, I just wait and like until everyone accepts me as lord an- I mean long live king Apathy Applied.

The Squid, Lodish and Apathy Applied like this.
  8. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Thank you! I definitely think I'm getting much closer to where I want to be, and have a good effort-to-quality ratio going on here (I used to put way more work into much worse drawings, so these recent ones are very assuring of my improvement).
    You may recall a certain Triumvirate of free threads which challenged you long ago. You may also recall how a particular member of that Triumvirate was very quick to hold a much more agreeable stance to the rightful Thread Lord, most certainly not because of any form of bribery...

Anyhow, here's a quick one about dancin' (text is separate, since I didn't include enough room in the box):
    Laurence and Laura Dancing.png
    Laurence: Remind me how I got roped into this?
    Laura: Because dancing is fun! Now come on, you'll get the under-arm turn down eventually.

Why make a panel about dancing? Because dancing is fun! Plus, now I actually understand a little bit about ballroom dance, so they have an actual dancing pose (although Laurence has no idea what he's doing). Plus-plus, I have a friend I've been trying to teach to dance (because dancing is fun!!), and, while she's rather good at it and learns very quickly, she thinks she's utterly terrible and is very adverse to ever giving it a few goes. But that's enough of my personal life thingies, this is Ask Laurence, y'all are here to see a crazy coffee fox-man, not hear about my boring shenanigans.

Ever yours,
    --Vurrunna

9. Vurrunna

Remember this little feather-ball of sunshine?
    Te Necabo.png
    If Laurence says you have problems, you've got some real problems. For anyone not gifted in the Latinic arts, he's saying "I will kill you," which is all he ever says.

I drew this one up last night, and will probably work on something tomorrow or tonight (although I have a couple things to do first).

Once again, I am,
    --Vurrunna

10. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Were you not vurrana in the past? Did someone take over your body? Did someone assume your identity? DID YOU BEAT SOMEONE TO THE DEATH TO BE VURRANA ONCE AGAIN!?

11. CondescendedWow

You know I can really get behind a platform like that.
    "Mr. President how are we going to build the economy?"
    "I will kill you."

12. Vurrunna

Doodly-doodle.
    Armored Laurence.png
    On a whim, I drew Laurence in medieval armor with an absurdly large sword. I also sketched this one with a different pen than I usually do, which is neato.

I can imagine his foreign policy.
    "Mr. President, your forces have been infringing on our territory! What's going on?!"
    "I will kill you."

Well, there was that time I fought inter-dimensional doppelgangers, but that's entirely irrelevant. I just like to sign off my posts in a facetious manner.

Facetiously,
    --Vurrunna

rhomboid, The Squid, Alkanthe and 7 others like this.
  13. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

I'm no expert, but perhaps this is a doppelganger... much prudence is required ahead.

14. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I think he looks pretty dope. And since it's not in color I'm going to assume that the blade he's wielding is made out of pure weapons-grade coffee.

I think you're onto something. Further investigation required.

ZAYABUCKET and Jimlad 42 like this.
  15. CondescendedWow

DID SOMEBODY SAY SCIENCE FICTION?
    No?
    Same thing right?
    I dunno I think it would be nice to just draw a bunch of different versions of the same character one day.
    "This version of ____ had their parents killed and became a pirate, while this version became the pope!"

16. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Yeah but the Rage and Coffee fueled lawrence would literally just kill the rest of them if you did that...

CondescendedWow and ZAYABUCKET like this.
  17. CondescendedWow

Hey it could still be fun, like that "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe" comic

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. Vurrunna

Have you ever been struck with that trillion dollar question that comes crashing in at the break-neck speed of molasses, slowly but surely consuming your entire being until you find yourself lying in bed at night with a clouded mind that can't focus on anything as you simply wonder: What the heck am I doing with my life?

My response to this apathy (not the applied variety) is, or at least has traditionally been, to simply ditch this craptacular world behind in favor of my own narratives, conjuring up a perfect universe of happiness and peace and joy, of laughter and silly shenanigans, even of pain and heart break with the promise of resolution and justice. In recent days, I have battled hard with this instinct, as I question whether this fantasy is a necessary remedy my mind needs to make sense of a mad world or is a glorious retreat, a magnificent retreat from all obligation and duties foisted upon me by life as I resign to live a simple and content life filled with wondrous imaginings.

There are great wonders to be had in life--wonders beyond all scientific reasoning, beyond all worldly philosophy--and I fear that I am too easily swayed to content myself to imagining these wonders rather than taking on the daunting task of seeking them out myself. My excuse? I know not how to chase those wonders, for though I know of many paths existing which lead to those wonders, no door before me leads to such roads.

So I return to my fantasies, gripping this maddening lump of nothing into which I have wasted so many years of my life, shaking it by the shoulders and demanding that it be of some use, that it convey some level of meaning which might express the beauty of those wondrous wonders, and might inspire others, and even myself, to truly chase after them.

On that pleasant note, here's a doodle.
    Amelia Spider Doodle.png
    Amelia admiring a spidder, while the science dudes watch nonchalantly.

In case the intro-text up there weren't enough to inform ya, I've been thinking a lot recently, and have been growing discontent with the glorious level of nothing I've been doing recently (and even when I actually do something, it's hardly worth anything). As it stands, my options seem to be to either a) run away into the wild and clear my head, or b) make something incredibly silly in the hopes it might teach people a lesson.

Seeing as I have roundabout a half dozen stories I've wanted to tell through my life, I think it's time I dusted off the ol' cranium, tried out some new techniques, and got to making a story I can actually share with people (specifically one which has some level of meaning). Stay tuned to see whether mine is a tale of eventual triumph or repetitive falling off of cliffs and resurfacing with hopes to do better (I'm the right level of tenacious that I imagine I'll only ever sink once I'm dead).

With that load of nonsensical ranting done, I bid you fare tidings and happy days, as follows:

Fare tidings and happy days,
    --Vurrunna

19. Jareix Cryvix

Staying tuned... We all go through existential crisis... I wish you the best of luck...

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  20. Vurrunna

I appreciate it. The biggest problem for me, I feel, is that I know what the answer is, but I'm at a loss at how to reach it (it requires a level of mental focus and perspective I don't know how to achieve). Even so, staying positive will do me infinitely more good than dawdling in negativity, as is my wont (and as has led to the heaps of misery in my past).

Anyhow, here's another doodle:
    Fenna Doodles.png
    Fenna, a rambunctious little girl who imagines herself as the Ferocious and Fiery Fenna Fury, Enemy of Evil and Hero of Females Everywhere (and Boys Too, but Only the Nice Ones). She's the main character from a three-perspective tale I've had brewing in my mind for a while now. I'll let y'all know more as I make more informative doodles.

You stay beautiful,
    --Vurrunna