1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence (Old Messy Thread)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Wow... You're really getting good! I hope to see more works in your defined style.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  2. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Thank you! I was in an unfortunate rut with my previous method of drawing that didn't let me do much else than a few preset faces and expressions--hopefully this new style will give me some more room to expand and personalize.

Speaking of which, here are a few more paper-sketches, plus a shiny new Laurence:
    Paper Sketches 4.png
    Ed, typing on some sort of space-computer with a good deal of annoyance. Here I added little footsies to the pin legs, which looks a bit better than just pin legs (especially for Ed, who, unlike Laura, has no right looking anything cute or adorable).

Paper Sketches 5.png
    Speaking of Laura, I drew her face again. Something about how I originally drew her was really satisfying, so I kept fiddling around to see what it was. Here I tried wide-set eyes slanting upward-and-a-bit-inward, as well as changing her ears a bit to be more fox-like and less mouse-like (which I know because I came up with a pretty solid doodle strategy for characters from a story about mice knights a while back).

Paper Sketches 6.png
    Just a generic girl. Here I tried adding a bit more character to the hair, which came out rather nice (although the hair on the far side of her face is curved the wrong way, but what're ya gonna do?).

Paper Sketches 7.png
    Another generic boy. Here, I'd like to point out the hair shadow, which turned out pretty nice here.

Laurence.png
    Laurence, once more in glorious digital. A few of the colors are a bit too vibrant for his character, but that's what I get for free-handing the color wheel instead of copying from a reference (free-handing being good for fancy-shmancy art, reference being good for character with defined values, such as lovable Laurence here). I also had a bit of trouble with his hands, which I hope turned out well enough.

Fare tidings,
    --Vurrunna

Alkanthe, rhomboid, Rgbunpro and 4 others like this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

I like all of this

rhomboid, LOL BALL and Jimlad 42 like this.
  4. Jareix Cryvix

Id love to see ask Laurence make a return with this more defined webcomic style.

LOL BALL and Jimlad 42 like this.
  5. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Laura just became like, way more adorable. Plus dat Laurence though, he looks so done as always.

Jimlad 42 and Lodish like this.
  6. Vurrunna

Thank you!
    As would I. The problem is a lack of ideas and time to draw out those ideas. Plus, right now I have my mind set on other projects, so Laurence and Co. are gonna have to wait a while.
    I know! I chalk it up to ripping off taking inspiration from another artist who's made some videos on digital art. I basically shot for throwing proportions out the window, and made big eyes and slender limbs (both of which I've always loved for my characters, but never implemented properly--they were always too chunky and blocky). And yes, Laurence has returned to his natural state of "screw all of you" that was so sorely missed during the final days of the comic--but best not to discuss those dark times...

Anywho! Moar pikchers!
    Amelia.png
    Start you off with a nice digital rendition of Amelia, holding Jeffery (you know, Jeffery, the cookie that drug-induced Amelia claimed as her own over two years ago; that Jeffery). I like the way her hands turned out, but I'm definitely gonna need to do up some diagrams/references so I can get a set style that's more than just "Eh, those kinda resemble fingers."

Paper Sketches 10.png
    Moar Sketches! While in history class listening to my teacher dearest discuss our assignments (seriously, she's the sweetest lady I know), I decided to try sketching the hairstyles of people around me. The one on the left is based on the teacher herself, while the one on the right was a guy who's hair has gotten just a little bit too shaggy.

Paper Sketches 11.png
    Another sketch, of nobody in particular.

Paper Sketches 8.png
    Here's where it gets a bit fun; this is the main character from a little narrative I have stewin' around. This is her without her accessories (such as her cloak, bag, gun, etc.).

Paper Sketches 12.png
    One of the baddies from the story, with a bird-like skull-head.

Paper Sketches 13.png
    Another baddie, with a rat-like skull.
    Paper Sketches 14.png
    the last kind of baddie I have sketched so far, with a more wolf-like skull. None of them have very realistic animal interpretations, since they're sort of sci-fi characters--but I've already said too much... :disguise:

Sorry for the poor quality photos, and for notebook paper lines.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot this one--
    Paper Sketches 9.png
    A bird-skull-dude, looking happy and cute on my Latin assignment (a dead bird to accompany a dead latinist--what could be better?).

I remain,
    --Vurrunna

Alkanthe, Rgbunpro, Lodish and 5 others like this.
  7. Jareix Cryvix

I need to see moar of this...
    Narrative...

LOL BALL and Jimlad 42 like this.
  8. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

D'awwww, Amelia is so cute! Also dem critters, mmhmm, you good at dis boi.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  9. Vurrunna

So here's a thing I made that looks like garbage, but hey, my computer near died filling them colors in with a G'MIC, might as well post it:
    The Stranger.png
    No shading and the lines were hastily drawn without a stabilizer; not the best, but eh, practice is practice.

As for my... Narrative...
    Indeed...
    Preview.png
    Lowered resolution, not the most dynamic shot, and still in the sketching phase, but hey, maybe it can give you an idea.

Thank you! I definitely tried to up the cuteness factor as much as I could, which I failed to do as well in the little mini-comic of them above, but hey, that's what comes with learning a new art style.

'Till next we meet,
    --Vurrunna

rhomboid, Rgbunpro, Lodish and 5 others like this.
  10. Jareix Cryvix

Alright, you've my attention. What's it about?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I'd say 'Poor Ed' but what can he actually do about that? I have this odd feeling that Laurence has a saitama-esque capability to just tank all damage.

Jimlad 42 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  12. Vurrunna

'Tis a tale of ice, death, and sacrifice, as two individuals trek to the final remnant of light in a land shrouded in darkness. Though I suppose I ought say no more until I bring the work closer to completion (which I am determined to accomplish, as I already know how the entire story will play out). If you need more to satiate your appetite for the thing, here's a digital sketch of one of the bird baddies I drew on paper:
    Vulture.png
    The fells could use some shading, plus a bit of extra detail to help him pop more. I also did all of this with a sketch pen on Krita, which gave a specific sort of quality that really appeals to me for some reason--any thoughts on how it looks would be much appreciated.

When you've lived for over eight centuries, all that really matters is coffee--and if you take that away, you'll be missing a few fingers soon enough. So yeah, there's not much Ed can do.

In completely unrelated news, here's a sketch of a festive deer-person:
    Alaarn (Deer).png
    Tried using gradients and a softer color scheme--again, any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't die out there,
    --Vurrunna

Alkanthe, rhomboid, Jimlad 42 and 4 others like this.
  13. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I'm assuming that bird person is supposed to look sort of ominous and evil, but it kinda looks adorable. Also, the gradient on the deer person is very subtle but quite nice.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  14. Vurrunna

They're sort of meant to look cute when you're just looking at them, but then they come across a corpse and you see them tear it to shreds for parts, then give you an eye while they process how close to death you are.

Because I had a second, I added some basic shading and highlighting, as well as decreased the size from fill-up-your-screen-and-only-show-like-a-quarter-of-the-image size.
    Vulture2.png
    Maybe a bit more menacing, maybe not, who knows

Once more, I remain,
    --Vurrunna

Alkanthe, rhomboid, Jimlad 42 and 5 others like this.
  15. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I mean, you did say they were in a dark world so...

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

If you want that high quality menace, you gotta invest in some dynamic shading.

Make the light source come from below, like you're looking at it with a torch. Darkening the background and focusing on contrast gives you some tension and helps focus on what you're trying to bring out.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  17. Jareix Cryvix

Honestly, that looks like high comic quality for a panel. If you could churn out say five a week, people would likely sub plentifully.

Jimlad 42 and Apathy Applied like this.
  18. Vurrunna

Wow, wouldjya lookit that, I ain't dead yet, well howdy doo--
    Promise and Pharaoh Preview.jpeg
    A teeny-tiny version (the original is 4000x4000) of a picture I'm making for a friend (*Gasp!* I know people outside of the internet?!). It still needs shading, as well as some background doodads (honestly, I should have included a background sooner, but eh), but it looks decent enough, at the moment. The little-lady on the left is Promise, and the roiling-ruffian on the right is Pharaoh, my friend's sibling cats. Yay, animals!

I'll try to keep you posted on my non-deadness.

Until next time,
    --Vurrunna

19. Vurrunna

Here's the finished product (considerably reduced in size from the ginormous original and watermarked because silly reasons):
    [​IMG]
    I really like the shading on these little scamps, especially the eyes (cats have the benefit of wide irises, which is intuitive to my giant-pupil style).

I persevere as,
    --Vurrunna

The Squid, Alkanthe, Rgbunpro and 6 others like this.
  20. Vurrunna

Amelia's the type of girl to make too many friends out of things that shouldn't be friends.
    Laurence and Amelia Spider.png
    I've been thinking 'bout old Laurence recently. I'm thinking I'm going to make something--stay tuned, iffins ya please.

Also, I wanna thank you guys for sticking around for so long (I also oughta commemorate @Jimlad 42 who still likes every post made on this thread--that's even more dedication than I have for thinking of @Apathy Applied as the Thread Lord). I'm gonna make sure to get some stuff out for y'all to enjoy (I believe my ability is finally getting to something semi-decent, which is pretty cool compared to the dinky pictures I started out with).

Your faithful servant,
    --Vurrunna

rhomboid, Alkanthe, The Squid and 7 others like this.