1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Dragon_Knight02

Dragon_Knight02 Space Spelunker

So, Laurance, if you could erase one living being (and to be more specific, make them never exist at all in the first place), who would you erase?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  2. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

This question comes from Tapastic:
    Proto-Laurence 14 Blank.png
    Proto-Laurence 14a.png
    Proto-Laurence 14b.png
    Proto-Laurence Question 14.png
    Proto-Laurence 14d.png
    Proto-Laurence 14e.png
    How did that gun fit in that box? Why would someone try to ship it to a deranged fox-man that's basically under house arrest? Who the heck even is this Phil character? Maybe figure this out at some point in the indeterminate future possibly who knows!

Apologies for that hiatus--I'll endeavor to allot more time for this comic in the future. If for tenacity alone, I don't plan to let Ask Laurence die off again any time soon.

EDIT: By the way, y'all can now try and send stuff to Laurence if you like. It has to be approved by customs (Phil) first, and then Ed decides how Laurence gets to use it, but you can still ship stuff in to get a reaction, if you so please. Have fun!

Keep on keepin' on,
    --Vurrunna

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Do you have any hobbies?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

What is your opinion on moths?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

Laurence, hey, hey Laurance, Laurence hey? Do you game? If so what do you play?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  6. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This thread officially dead?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  7. Vurrunna

Intermission 1a.png
    Intermission 1b.png

Look on the bright side, Laurence. Last time, they cut out color entirely.

It ain't dead 'til I'm dead.

Ask Laurence is on a bit of a hiatus right now, but he'll be back, soon enough. That said, I'm liable to change up the style a bit to help streamline the artsing process. Right now, the biggest thing holding me back is the shading process--it takes up about half of my time on each picture, meaning that if I drop shading I can finish pictures in half as long. The main drawback is that shading is still important to make a picture look nice, so if I just dropped it, the quality of the comic would go down, approximately to the level of the couple of panels seen above. I might end up fluctuating between shading, no shading, and different methods of shading throughout the next few posts, just to figure out what best weighs quality and effort (there's no point in making fancy posts if they're so daunting I never want to draw them).

Another thing that's holding back the production a bit is that I actually have two projects right now: Ask Laurence, which is here, and Kobold Adventure, a little interactive story with an actual setting and plot. As it stands, I work on whichever one catches my fancy, though I want to pound myself into the rhythm of doing both, sort of in an alternating style. As I've been working on Kobold Adventure recently to catch up on its monstrous hiatus of about six-to-seven months, Laurence has been stuck to the backburner.

Still, all this to say I'll be back to work on our lovable fox-man in due time. In the meanwhile, y'all have yourselves a good one.

--Vurrunna

8. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 15a re.png
    Proto-Laurence 15b.png
    Proto-Laurence 15c.png
    Proto-Laurence 15d.png
    Hindsight is 20/20. Even ancient beings transcending time itself make mistakes from time to time. It's just that Ed made a really big one right off the bat.

Proto-Laurence 15e.png
    Laurence only drinks one dark beverage, and that's pure, refined, 100% darkness of the soul. I mean coffee.

I skipped shading here, which made it really easy to pump out in one sitting. Even so, I'm thinking that I oughtta find a good way to quickly and nicely shade panels.

Anywho, have a good day, ya fancy peeps.
    --Vurrunna

9. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

RIP me. Lol
    I like the appeal to my ego since you chose my posts, :D
    Do the others first though, I don't want to be a priority.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  10. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Hey laurence. So I've been synthesizing this caffeine patch. Caffeine is that stuff in coffee that gives people a boost in energy. I'm kinda curious what happens if someone wears one and then also drinks coffee, however I am loath to test it on myself, so I've sent you a few instead. Enjoy.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Circle Cell

Circle Cell Void-Bound Voyager

I will send you a vertically drawn comic that's titled 'Ask Laurence'. It is on newsprint paper and printed with really cheap colour ink that rubs off onto skin easily.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 16.png
    Every painting here is a reference to something from old Ask Laurence. The tiger is especially fun, and especially sad since he no longer posts 'round these parts and so of course must be presumed dead. *Sigh...*

Here's a non-worded version that lets you enjoy the paintings (not all of which are by Laurence, by the way--he just uses the communal arts and crafts center):
    Proto-Laurence 16 Blank.png
    I'm tempted to explain all the references, but that would spoil the fun--of asking Laurence yourselves!

Also, I've decided to shake up my approach to Ask Laurence. I've noticed the past few posts have felt (to me, at least) abysmally bland. I think this has to do with the more relaxed tone I've given the characters and the slower pace of multiple panels (some of my favorite jokes were from when I was just too lazy to draw more panels). To fix this, I'm gonna cut down on panel count. This should make the pace feel a bit faster, should give me more encouragement to answer question (it'll only take an hour), and should mean I answer all y'all questions much sooner.

Also-also, you can't see it here, but I've mildly redesigned the characters, mostly giving them back their old chins (which had been painfully removed by the explosion dealio, apparently), toning down Amelia's hair (she's supposed to be less cute and more aggressive than her present style suggests), and giving Laurence new eyes (based on how I drew way at the very beginning--his round eyes are too cute for his grumpy jerkiness).

That's about all for now. I'll be answering other questions as soon as I can, and plan to get back into routine posts (apparently I used to shoot for a post per day, which is an admirable goal I hope to achieve once more).

Have a good one, me hearties,
    --Vurrunna

13. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dear Laurence.
    Do you ever get *let* out of the box?
    Also, I send him the blueprints for a abstract machine, that may or may not make the coffee-est coffee ever know to fox...man...things.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  14. Bonabopn

I think the bland questions are needed in order to set up interesting questions. For example, now we know we can ask about painting.

Laurence, do you get to see much art in the box?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  15. Vurrunna

Laura finally makes it back to the studio:

Intermission 2a.png
    Intermission 2b.png
    Intermission 2c.png
    Laura seems to be on the verge of a very bad decision.

I've noticed that my drawing style has gotten way too chunky as of late. The first panel was drawn while still being all chunky, but the next two were drawn with proper differing widths on the lines. It definitely looks a lot nicer, so I'm gonna be sticking to that--stand by as I figure out how to make it all work nicely (that coffee corner was horrendous before I did a quick touch up, and it still looks pretty wonky).

Oh, the questions are perfectly fine--it's more my responses that have been getting to me. As for bland answers, I think I can at least try to make exciting ways to tell simple information.

Anywho, I can't remember half the stuff I've written here so see y'all 'round with the next question,
    --Vurrunna

16. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Laura, Laura no. Don't do it. Don't turn into Laurence.
    Actually, that's not what you would have to worry about. That's not at all what you have to worry about. You have to worry about Laurence killing you for touching his coffee, and resurrecting you to kill you again for drinking any of it, and maybe another loop of resurrect/kill for each drop drunk, I'm not sure how long he can keep up that sort of anger without any coffee to fuel it.
    (If you do drink it, drink all of it. It won't save you, but it'll leave Laurence with little energy to kill you with, meaning you'll last longer.)

17. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 0 Base.png
    Proto-Laurence 18b.png
    Proto-Laurence 18c.png
    Proto-Laurence 18 Intermission.png
    Proto-Laurence 18d.png

TRANSLATION: "Milk is bad for cats, but I like it, because I'm a cat person! But Jeffrey is afraid of milk, because he is a cookie."

D'awww, Amelia, so smart with her made up language... Almost distracts me from considering the terrible things Laurence is gonna be doing with that spoon.

Almost. *Shudders.*

Future posts will likely see translations on the page. I didn't put one here because I'm lazy French is a beautiful language and you should know it anyways.

Here are the posts which prompted this one. It didn't fit the formatting to include the posts between the panels, since Laurence isn't answering a question, and Amelia is serving as a "Ignore the carnage" snippet.

Anywho, I'm off to draw up the next page. Have a nice night,
    --Vurrunna

18. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 19a.png
    Proto-Laurence 19b.png
    Proto-Laurence 19c.png

Someone looks different.

Proto-Laurence 20a.png
    Proto-Laurence 20b.png
    Proto-Laurence 20c.png
    Proto-Laurence 20d.png

Laura is such a good artist. She should do my job for me. Except I draw her, so I'd have to draw her drawing my pictures for me... And then if I drew her drawing my drawing of her drawing drawings--um, never mind.

The arrows between the speech blurbs in Laura's pictures were included by Laura herself, so if you have a problem with the formatting, it's totally her fault and not at all mine. Nope. Can't blame me for nothin'.

I've wanted to talk about the Alaarn for a while now. Unfortunately, Ask Laurence isn't the best place to explain them, since we only see sort of three of them (Laurence is technically half Alaarn and Amelia isn't specified as either Alaarn or simple animal person [yes, there is an in-universe difference]) and only Laura knows much of anything about them. And her knowledge is limited to a high school education from a backwoods colony, plus general stereotypes. This means her description is very bare-bones, and not very coherent. Still, someday I'll force you all to listen to me ramble about this great big universe sitting just outside this Box. Someday...

I'm gonna start including these for boring nonsense I want to talk about which people probably don't care about as much as I do.

Laura is now returned to her original state from when she first joined the crew. For whatever reason, after I first moved from Chucklefish to Tapastic, Laura started acting much older than she should have, and also switched to her natural orange-fur color scheme. She also lost all interest in the Box and the people inside, which was sort of a main staple of her original character and the jokes therein. New Laura will be acting like the old Laura, not the boring Laura (basically she's full of the life that is coffee).

Those dinky pictures of hers took as much effort as the full on pictures. Next time, Laura's drawing in marker.

Lastly, if anyone's direly curious about the Alaarn, I can write up a non-comic explanation that specifies things better than Laura did (I had her leave out a few details from incompetence--she's not the best at answering questions). It won't give much more insight, but it will give some good pointers, and help expand the setting a bit more for y'all (even though Ask Laurence is entirely confined to the Box, where their studio resides, the universe outside is vast and complex, with lots of moving parts and interacting bits and pieces).

Onwards to the next questions,
    --Vurrunna

19. Bonabopn

Can i join the super awesome laurence fan club?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  20. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeas, one of my questions was answered!

Jimlad 42 likes this.