1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Proto-Laurence 1a.png
    Proto-Laurence 1b.png
    Proto-Laurence 1c.png
    Proto-Laurence 1d.png
    Proto-Laurence 1e.png
    Well, the inbox at the studio is resoundingly empty ever since everything blew up a few months ago or so. Anyhow, feel free to ask whatever you like of the deranged coffee-addicted fox-man. What's his favorite color, what's the meaning to life, how do you tie your shoes--you know. Anything you like.

See the original madness here (beware, it's old and it's stinky): http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/ask-laurence-having-been-revived.97549/

Happy Asking!
    --Vurrunna

2. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

'ow much dakka duz you fink iz too much dakka? Me lost countz at lotz.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

What are your favourite creatures? c:

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  4. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

If you could have only one wish, what would it be?
    Inifnite coffee? Killing Ed? Freedom from the box? A quick death?

5. ZAYABUCKET

ZAYABUCKET Spaceman Spiff

What is the 37th letter of the number orange & why does it taste like raspberry?

Rima and Jimlad 42 like this.
  6. Rima

Rima Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey Laurence! quick question. What's your opinion on Slime People, and what would you do if one (*ahem* Me,) where to come keep you company in the box?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  7. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Vurrunna! How've you been? Have a good easter?

Oh Lawrence you poor fox man. I have seen the other questions and....oh boy. Let me ask a really normal one. There's no way you've always been in the box, where did you live as a child?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  8. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 2a.png
    Proto-Laurence 2b.png
    Proto-Laurence 2c.png
    I had to figure out a way to answer your question as close to correctly as possible while not having Laurence understand a universe outside of his own. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any way for Laurence to give the right answer while staying in character, since the correct answer is, of course, that there's no such thing as enough Dakka.

I've been better, I'll admit--I had to end an unhealthy friendship recently (the thing had been dying for months and I just had to take the unpleasant task of putting it out of its misery before it tore me apart). Honestly, I mostly came back to Laurence since stories and art (and their beautiful baby, comics) help me deal with my problems. Now that I remember how much I love the guy, and seeing how much faster and better I am at drawing him, I'll dare to say he's back to stay. My deepest condolences.

All that said, my Easter was good! I got to hang out with my family and go to a dog park with out dog, which, against my best efforts, I have quickly grown to appreciate more and more.

Anyhow, I'm working full-steam to answer these questions, but neither want to let that effect how good the answers are (both in jokes, appearance, and length) nor let it force me to take weeks between posts, so I'll be answering them one at a time, going in order of appearance (I already know how I plan to answer most of them, and can't wait to draw my ideas out). I'd say expect posts of about this length every few days or so, though time will tell how much time I'll have available to work on it (each picture takes about an hour, and I typically get an hour to draw on weekdays, but may get more or less as the situation merits, and may take more or less time to draw as the situation merits).

It's good to be back,
    --Vurrunna

9. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Sorry about that man, but you probably did the right thing.

This is good to hear, I'm glad easter was a good day. My easter was kinda weird since it was also my sister's birthday.

Rima and Jimlad 42 like this.
  10. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 3a.png
    Proto-Laurence 3b.png Proto-Laurence 3c.png
    Laurence generally has either coffee or violence on mind. Or both.

When a similar question was asked way-back-when, Laurence said cats are good for impaling. Having taken a moment to consider that this implies more action done to the cat than from it, I changed his diction a tad.

Oh, and Laurence was pretty tame in his response. I'll need to get him a bit more animated for the next few--think I should cut his coffee supply a bit?

Have a good'un,
    --Vurrunna

11. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 4a.png
    Proto-Laurence 4b.png
    Those are both rather reasonable wishes.

Laurence's hair lost its luster in that second panel. I could easily fix it right now, but I'm simply far too lazy clearly he just needs another cup of joe. Coffee is to foxes as pudding is to tigers.

May your dreams come true,
    --Vurrunna

12. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I don't know man, Ed in a dress is quite the sight :rofl:

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  13. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 5a.png
    Proto-Laurence 5b.png
    Proto-Laurence 5c.png
    Laurence ought to consider a career in teaching, if he wasn't stuck in a box for all eternity, and if he wasn't bothered by anything that anyone does, and if he didn't have a tendency to assault people with household objects, and--

Potato salad is also my stock response to anything requiring a random word. It's mostly because I live in Idaho, and when I moved here I learned that it's apparently the potato state, so I still feel the need to make jokes about potatoes even though basically no one around here cares about potatoes in the slightest.

By the way, I hope Laurence's negative attitude never comes across the wrong way--I appreciate all of your questions very much, and have a heck of a lot of fun coming up with responses. Carry on with both your curiosity's and your silliness-es!

Need I redraw that old piece of blackmail? Because I will. As soon as I figure out how to draw his freaking mask (the thing's a right pain).

Potato salad,
    --Vurrunna

14. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

If you had your own paradise, what would it be like?
    Would it be a nice resort by the sea, or a mighty mountain castle?
    Would it be hot, cold or average temperature?
    Would it have fresh coffee on tap?
    Would you have minions?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  15. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you have 20 pieces of lemon pie, how many more pieces of lemon pie would you need to create a chocolate cake?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Taphy likes this.
  17. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 6a.png
    Proto-Laurence 6b.png
    Proto-Laurence 6c.png
    Proto-Laurence 6d.png
    Yeah, Laurence isn't all that good at dealing with being around other people. He probably doesn't even realize Laura's missing. Heck, he hardly realized she was ever there to begin with. That lovable stinker.

By the way, Ask Laurence is once again available on Tapastic! Here's a link to the page: https://tapas.io/episode/675080

I plan on posting to both here and Tapastic. That way, I can use Tapastic as a place where I just talk about what's happening in the comic, while I can use here to talk about both how I'm drawing all this nonsense (those who have been around long enough, which is admittedly most of you, will recall that this all started as an experiment to get practice) and just chat about silly stuff between posts. Basically, this forum will be where I make the cool, casual posts, and Tapastic will be where I make the condensed, professional posts (Tapastic is more widely used, making the comic more likely to get noticed by folks, producing more people following the fox man's shenanigans).

Anyhow, that's all I got for today--feel free to just keep readin' here, subscribe to the Tapastic version, or both. Whatever suits yer fancy.

Have yourselves a good one (and don't get flushed down any toilets--looking at you, Rima!),
    --Vurrunna

18. Rima

Rima Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am so sad I can only like this once...
    This is the best thing ever in the history of anything.
    And yikes, that toilet sounds like a death trap!
    But seriously though, I love this whole thread and I love your work.
    Stay awesome! Have a cookie :cookie:

19. ZAYABUCKET

ZAYABUCKET Spaceman Spiff

Brilliant! I been trying to find the answer to that question forever! Now I know what the 37th letter of the number orange is & why it tastes like raspberry... Potato salad! & thus, all my problems are solved.

20. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 7a.png
    Proto-Laurence 7b.png
    Laurence is great at retorts.

Apologies for the delay--I've had to get extra focused on school recently, what with the year coming to a close and college looming around the corner (that's right! Soon enough I won't be an edgy teenage comic doodler any longer, but rather an edgy teenage comic doodler at a university!). I'll be getting to the rest of the questions as quickly as possible, but school always comes first.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy my shenanigans. As for the cookie, I know exactly who to give that to:
    Amelia Cookie Doodle.png
    Amelia's never gotten rid of Jeffery, the cookie somebody sent Laurence way-back-when and which she promptly commandeered as a pet. Another will make a fine addition to her collection.

The answer is pretty tricky to figure out, nothing like how many pancakes are on the roof (purple, 'cause aliens don't where hats).

Back to the grind with the lot of us,
    --Vurrunna