1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Archive of older versions?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tux1342, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Tux1342

Tux1342 Big Damn Hero

I would like to see an archive of older versions. I would be very upset in a few years if I can't go back and play the game I fell in love with, not that I think the game will go in a bad direction. Does one exist or will there be one?

The MechE likes this.
  2. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

No.

The Squid and The | Suit like this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

There was a mod made reverting the game to a the stable version before the current, so it may be possible unofficial options will be available.

The | Suit likes this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If you wish to archive that is completely up to you to do so.
    Just copy the folder out of Steam directory and save it on an external media.

I know quite a few users who have done some personal archiving.
    Since Starbound is DRM free, archived versions work fine.

MrChow, The Squid, rhomboid and 2 others like this.
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I severely doubt there will ever be an official archive of old versions. I mean, why would they? It's not the game they wanted to make.

6. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Wait, did you just say I can go back and play Enraged Koala?

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

8. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

HAHA.

You want the old weapon tiers.10 tiers of ore grinding with expensive recipes. How anyone could think that is more interesting than the current branching tier system...

Short answer: No, it does not (nor could it) add back the stupid old sector system, nor does it affect weapon tiering. I believe it does add stone pickaxes, but I could be wrong because I don't care for blind nostalgia.

And you should seriously stop looking at old Starbound YouTube videos and thinking "this old version of Starbound is better than what we have now". It was not, plain and simple. The reason most of the things have changed is because they sucked back then, so begging for the return of an outdated version of the game when you did not experience it in the first place... does not reflect kindly on you.

The only way to play Enraged Koala version Starbound is to find someone who saved the assets of that version. I personally have unpacked EK assets, courtesy of Kawa, and I know that there are also a few stragglers still playing EK somewhere on the internet. If you are really interested in finally realizing that many of the reversion suggestions you've made are not good ideas at all playing Enraged Koala, I'd suggest contacting them.

10. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I don't care for enraged Koala, but I liked the first public version of Starbound.. When it had armor penetration as a stat, and 100 levels of planets/monsters.

The MechE likes this.
  11. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

We can be more polite than this :love:

12. Mackinz

I've tried being polite a lot. After a while, though, with several Starbound veterans replying to the MechE's assertions that Starbound had better features during Enraged Koala, it's gotten difficult to be extremely polite. I mean... he's basically ignored any feedback he's received and continued asking for pretty much entire game reversion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

That's fine, you can just enjoy the wonderful game Chucklefish has provided and let other people enjoy what they enjoy about it. If someone's being inappropriate then you can report the content and let the mods handle it.

Boshed likes this.
  14. Mackinz

This isn't about what I enjoy versus what other people enjoy, though. This is people with experience of Enraged Koala versus person who only knows of Enraged Koala through YouTube videos (his own admission). He literally wants Chucklefish to turn back the clocks on Starbound and revert to Enraged Koala instead of progressing from the here and now. It's not easy to remain polite about that...

15. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

...why? it's a subjective matter. he wants it, so what? he's probably not going to get it but that should stop him for saying that he things an older version was better version.

16. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

There are some things about the older version that I do miss. But the newer version is clearly better.

Randomly coloured dirt. Eating like a fatty. Block-breaking spawnable bosses. The temperature system. Non-linear tech acquisition.

The MechE likes this.
  17. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I agree that the new version is better in most ways. These features you list are good examples of stuff I am (to varying degrees) sad to lose.
    I don't care about the temperature thing that much though, because like Metroid, one suit upgrade renders something irrelevant.

The problem with nanosuits is how they're handled.
    Right now, they're just keys to open planets that are more or less required for progression. They should either have two tiers of each type, or have them just give you access to special side-planets. Have a normal line of planets that don't require more than oxygen, and side planets where you can find rarer and cooler loot.

Or go the Metroid route (all hail Metroid!), give access to super-dangerous environments early, and have sections in dungeons that are super-dangerous.. But allow the nanosuits and/or certain techs/etc. to get you the special loot hidden in those places.

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  18. Mackinz

Not changed. Dirt is still randomly colored.

Only Dreadwing broke blocks back then, and bosses now have some sort of sense to them instead of "let's build a giant robot out of steel, then kill it it for its processor instead of just making the processor itself!". Nothing about summonable bosses makes sense, anyway... are we supposed to believe that there are limitless numbers of each boss waiting in orbit around each and every planet we visited, and that they would only attack if we put down the right object and activated it?

19. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

This is a really great idea! I was kinda hoping that poisonous and magma oceans would go that route eventually. The new toxic seafloor is awesome, but so much work to get to legitimately. The thing I liked about the early survival system was that you could jump out of the progression that you were dictated with extra effort, and thus getting higher level loot to face the bosses at. I lose most of my hardcore characters to bosses because I'm pants at it.

Dirt is still of limited palette to biomes. It's been a loooooong time since I've seen any starter world with any other than the three typical colours of dirt.

My very first Floran tribal base was made on a starter forest planet with Magenta soil, it was hideous in a way. I love it. There were also the very rare mega-meteorite, which scared the shit out of me, but provided some nice strong rock for protection. I'm glad blue dirt is still to be found, but not right away. It was just a little thing that helped make the planets more unique, if functionally having no effect. I'd even say the trees could be more rainbow since each photosensitive pigment suite would shift depending on the colour of the star (well, that's fudging it a bit, but I won't get into the details of our plant's photosystem).

Block breaky!! I felt like the bone dragon could also break really weak things, like the bonehammer or a great shotgun can. Certainly not the chase effect of Dreadwing though. The type of sense they make now is different. This is a builder/platformer game. Building platforms to fight on was fun, and building to defend yourself (dirt wall activate!) also made sense. The story elements and logic of them, yeahhhh, not so much. But the idea was good and could still be worked upon. And within the canon there's probably room for ancient devices that when activated alert super giant space monsters that show up to feed/destroy/have tea etc.

And Mackinz, I'm on your side not MechE's. I play nightly because I'm constantly enjoying the changes that are being made. I'm happy to have made memories and had lots of fun along the way, but Chucklefish has earned my trust at this point and reversal is a silly prospect.

20. Mackinz

I think three colors is good enough diversity for now. Befpre, you would be able to obtain diverse colors, yes, but Dirt was and still is useless. Until Chucklefish adds some way to reduce inventory clutter caused by multiple colors of materials, and some way to propagate item parameters through crafting (so items can be crafted into similar colored items, etc), I don't think we really need more colors.

Nope.

It wasn't so much fun when all you needed was a bunch of dirt to encase an enemy.

Ooookay.