Anyone playing on a low end pc or laptop?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by TrueElement, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TrueElement

TrueElement Aquatic Astronaut

Hi, I'm thinking about getting this game on friday but im not sure if my laptop will play it. I can play terraria just fine, but I just want to make sure that the game is playable.

(Dont Laugh)
    Pen. Duo Core 2.10
    3gbs RAM
    Intel chipset (lol)

anyone with similar specs?

2. MagikPigon

MagikPigon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure man, my laptop is only slightly better than that and I get 20 fps. It's not bad, just kinda irritating cause I lag when I beam up and down and when there's more than five AI on screen.

3. TrueElement

Hm, I see.. hopefully thats just a small problem that can be fixed with some optimization. Have you tried messing with the settings? If so, I guess I shouldn't waste my time with the game. Thanks for posting btw.

4. Miths

Miths Tentacle Wrangler

People with high end PCs are complaining about very poor performance (as low as 10-15 fps in high resolutions), so it seems some optimizations are needed.

It's running okay (25-30 fps most of the time at 1366x768) on my core i3, Geforce 720m laptop. Although getting the same performance as in games like Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim is obviously not quite what I had expected.

5. Soulcrifice

Soulcrifice Big Damn Hero

I seemed to be running it pretty well, probably around 40 fps. I have yet to have any lag or bugs but I've only played an hour due to my schedule. I'm on an i7 though, so based on your specs I'd imagine it's "playable" but you will probably experience lag.

6. DannyMaku

DannyMaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

My laptop is a couple years old and is somewhat low-end. The game is far from unplayable: the framerate dips when it rains, but it's nothing game-breaking.

7. Animaster78900

Animaster78900 Cosmic Narwhal

I just resized the window. It started off on a huge screen but i just shrunk it down. works better now.

Running this poor excuse for a machine:

AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 @ 2.10 Ghz

4 GB
    of ram 3.75 GB available

ATI Radion HD 3200 Integrated GPU

Although with all of the optimizations they previously mentioned over updates time and time again, I'm surprised the game doesn't run better.
    Maybe an entry level Mac-book air wasn't necessarily the best option as a testing model, at it appears to be higher spec then everyone assumes.

8. TrueElement

Really appreciate all the replies. I have some hope, I may just end up buying the game. If it doesn't work, oh well only $15, I'll just save up for a better rig. Thanks again guys :D

9. iamvillain

iamvillain Orbital Explorer

Satellite p750 with an i7, 6gb of ddr3 and a gt540m - game is unplayable.

RupertoRiley likes this.
  10. TrueElement

This is what scares me lol, all these people with decent pc's/laptops that cant run the game.. but then again the game isnt optimized so maybe there is still hope for me lol

11. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I have a GTX 650 2GB, and i'm running it very smoothy, besides the game not responding when starting up. I have to wait 30 seconds. Also, beaming up is a bit laggy.

RupertoRiley likes this.
  12. iamvillain

iamvillain Orbital Explorer

There was a fix for shit fps on Nvidia cards I used floating around on the forums and my game is smooth as fuck. Right click both starbound.exe and launcher and make sure theyre set without compatability and make sure Run As Administrator is ticked on both applications. Go to steam and check the compatability, mine was greyed out stuck on Windows Vista compatability. I deleted the registry entries on both hkey_current_user and hkey_current_machines for steam compatability and my game runs sensationally. I'll try and find the thread to elaborate and post it shortly.

13. TrueElement

Thanks for the info, but I just looked at the minimal requirements on steam, and the my laptop is just barely touching them lol. Guess i'll have to stick with terraria until some optimization is done.. if that'll even work for me.

14. dresden88

dresden88 Space Spelunker

lol, i play on an early era dual core acer aspire netbook with far worse specs than most of you guys. it has its moments where it hits these odd patterned "lag spikes" and as a whole, bogs down whenever i get weather storm effects such as rain or blizzards. but it is far from unplayable, it is merely inconveniencing at its worst.

just to give you an idea of how low-end my system is, it has the following:

Intel Atom CUP N270 dual core (1.60GHz)x2
    1GB RAM
    and the intel mobile chipset.

ps: sorry if i necro'd a dead thread, just wanted to point out that you guys could be on a computer that is worse than what you have xD

15. Lord Scrappington

Lord Scrappington Subatomic Cosmonaut

when i first bought starbound i was playing on a 2.0ghz processor, with 1.6 gb of ram and a 2001 integrated graphics card, i sincerely don't know how i managed to tolerate all the lag, the choppiness was unbearable plus i had steam on an external hard drive, since that pc only had like 40 gb of hd and all was being used except for the miserable ammount of 3 gb that kept my pc at least running , some day my hard drive's usb cable started to fail and thanks to that my ship was wiped , three times

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  16. I'll cut to the chase and say since you're using onboard graphics it's not gonna happen. I mean the ram is ok and the processor is definitely borderline but without a video card you're done. and TBH even if you had a card with that processor you'll be lucky to be playing on minimum settings and it's a real downer and will give you a false idea about the game, you want to play it at a great framerate trust me.

My advice is to build a budget gaming rig, it's really not as expensive as you may think.

I started playing SB on a Pentium D processor, 2gb of ram and a GT630 video card and it ran pretty damn rough tbh. Since then I've upgraded to a budget rig and am playing at 60fps on 1x zoom with 0 slowdowns. Upgrade, it's your best route.

17. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

I ran the game decently on a 4 year old Laptop that was on it's last legs, it actually ended up dying as soon as I got another. It ran a little slowly, but I really didn't notice a problem at the time, even though getting the frames I do get now is fantastic. I think any modern laptop can handle the game no problem. I'm Canadian so the prices might vary for the kind of model I have, but mine's just a normal $500 dollar one, so it's on the pretty cheap end here. I'm not too good with computers, but I hope this helps someone.

18. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I can play mostly enjoyably on 2.20ghz 4gb ram Intel integrated 2007 p.o.s. graphics.. The first place I hit real lag is the first boss, but I can still play well enough to get through..