1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Anyone else tried to fortify the Baron's keep with combat tenants and/or pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Upon discovering that the front gate of the Baron's keep could be mined out, I decided to try replacing it with my own fortifications. Although I forgot to take screenshots, I managed to cram 15 tier 4 guards in the buildable space, as well as wire up the doors so that the tenant's doors were kept open, and the keep's door was kept shut. The end result was that the cultists were unable to penetrate my defenses, as they couldn't open the keep's door, and my tenants and I could just pick them off from a safe distance above them.

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Awesome, how did the bone dragon take it?

3. Shadow Wolf TJC

Unfortunately, I haven't tried it, since, at the time, I relied on another cheap way to defeat it, as seen in this video:

I'd imagine that locking the door would be sufficient enough to keep the cultists out at least (since no more ballistae would spawn), and that the tenants would contribute a little to taking down the Bone Dragon, but only when it's close enough to them to see it. Even then, I'd imagine that it'd fall heavily upon you to take down the Bone Dragon yourself, which should be easy if you can reliably teleport dash and, on occasion, jump over the flames.

However, keep in mind that the Bone Dragon will try to destroy any terrain that's in-between it and you, including whatever defenses you've set up.

4. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

You can also use portal wands for the second part with that trick..that the video just revealed to me. I personally enjoy just slashing him with a strong melee weapon by jumping off the crates he loves to hover next to.

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

And here's a screenshot of the defense tower that I recreated to repel the Occasus hordes:
    20161019111108_1.jpg
    Edit: Looks like the defense tower is a little too effective. Even when the cultists were modded to have guns, the guards were more than enough to keep the cultists from reaching me. They even took out the ballistae that were being rolled up to the tower, and were even whittling down the Bone Dragon's HP, all while I evaded the Bone Dragon's attacks while it tried to focus its attention on me instead of the guards.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Wolf1e and tealsummernights like this.