1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else think Starbound is getting sort of boring?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheWorstPersonEver, Jun 11, 2017.

?

Is Starbound is boring? (or is getting boring?)

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know if you think this, but to me it sort of is. I don't know WHY, though. I was playing the version before 1.0 (hope I got it right. It's the story update, right? Is 1.0 the story update?) and it was fun. Yet, around 1.0, it just started getting.. boring.

I know eventually everything will, but I find it odd I suddenly got bored of it and didn't play it. Maybe it was the fact there was suddenly a major story line, which when I think about it sort of removes the sandbox feel of it (plus making the ship useless, possibly limiting that more), or the fact that it removed planet chat for a bit, possibly ruining some roleplay servers.

Does anyone else feel the same way about Starbound? Just curious. :nuruhappy:

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Moved to starbound discussion.

The social section is for anything unrelated to Starbound or Chucklefish in general

3. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I definitely feel this, I just attempted the try the new update and got bored in less than 10 minutes.

I think the reason is because everything is just a little too inconvenient. combat is pathetically easy, exploration is pretty dang empty, starbound is a game about building. but getting the blocks I want isnt terribly easy. spawning them in using commands requires me to know what the items files are called, crafting them for free is also annoying, though I cant remember why right now.
    I havnt played since 1.0 came out, so theres lots of new things for me to find, yet I didnt feel interested in finding them with my old character. so I decided to make a new one. I sat at the character creation screen for a minute and decided I dont care anymore.
    it would probably help if I got a friend on to check out the new stuff with me (as thats whats kept me on warframe recently) but they have all burned out as well.

4. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

That's usually a side-effect I noticed after playing any game long enough. You probably just need a break for a little, explore a couple of other games, and then come back after a couple months! It's what I did. I played a bunch at 1.0, and then took a bit of a break waiting for another big update (AKA this one!).

The new update is pretty neat and refreshing after my break though, since it's fun re-enacting Mass Effect with the whole space travel business. Like, I've just forgotten enough that stuff feels a little new again, but I still remember enough to have things feel familiar.

I've been sticking to solely single player and Vanilla for the longest time though, and haven't really done multiplayer much yet.

Pangaea likes this.
  5. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

having played tons in the beta, i chaulk it up to the UI brought in on 1.0. it's just a weirdly restrictive way of doing it where i used to have a much more dynamic playstyle and not it feels very.....slow.

also i can't use my old name or character settings because [] aren't allowed anymore and the antennae were removed for whatever reason....i shouldn't need to look into mods just to restore cosmetic options from the beta!

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I was going to suggest what Yups said. It can be easy to play a game too much and get bored with it. Taking a break (and playing other games) usually remedies this. If possible, playing with others could also help alleviate the boredom. However, sometimes our tastes change enough that we're truly no longer interested in a particular game (or certain aspects of said game). If that's the case then it might be time to call it quits for that game. Perhaps revisit it after a couple years. I had to do this with Diablo 3. Sure there's a lot wrong with it and definitely room for improvement but I still have fun playing. I overplayed it pre-RoS and was getting bored. I took a break shortly after RoS released and now play much less frequently so I don't burn out again.

A common complaint that pops up is that such and such was changed from the beta. I think sometimes people forget that nothing in a beta is finalised and is subject to changes (sometimes for better or worse). Sometimes things are place-holders or not in-line with what the devs want for their final product. In the case of Starbound, a game that gets free updates, some things may return to the game once they're more in-tune with what CF wants. Certain changes appear to be here to stay so it's up to us, the players, to accept them or choose to play some other game. Of course, you can feel cheated out of a game because things are changed (or not changed) but any game that has some kind of early-access or open beta will always feel this way to players. Indeed, maybe even most players of a particular game. I remember playing in the closed beta for Hearthstone. It was lots of fun. There were some really good combos you could do. But Blizzard didn't want such things in the final game so they were changed. Lots of players complain and were "outraged" because it negated entire strategies and made some cards and decks useless. But the game was in a beta. By playing a beta you're kind of agreeing that you know nothing is guaranteed to be final. Of course, that only applies to changes made from the beta, not changes made after 1.0. Does CF do everything "right" and give amazing content with every detail added? Nope. And no game company can or will. It's all about what their design philosophy is compared to what players want or expect. Sometimes those things clash. Sometimes they don't. I believe CF will continue to fine-tune Starbound and add more content. Perhaps even adding in old content once it's been adjusted for post 1.0. Only time will tell.

I feel like that was a bit of rambling. Apologies if it didn't make sense or my thoughts don't flow in a logical order. I don't usually make long posts.

To answer your question: yes. I got bored with Starbound and didn't have much interest in playing (for some various reasons). I don't think I played at all between 1.1 and 1.3. But I've started playing again and am enjoying the new things so far. I've also started playing with someone from the forums! @TheCobaltMask

The Gamer Fox and Waffle-Chan like this.
  7. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

*bursts out of the ground in fire and waffles*
    Someone hath called the waffle kinda's name!

8. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

a game being in beta is a good excuse for things changing
    a game being in beta is not a good excuse for things getting worse for seemingly no reason

there are many aspects of starbound which I (and I know others) feel have gotten worse (grappling hooks come to mind) than what was in the beta, and no reason given as to why these things changed in the first place

9. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

I got bored of starbound for over a year. Ohh god when was it... It was the update after they removed the sectors that I stopped playing and did not touch the game again until 1.1
    But now (mainly thanks to lots of mods) I have so much to do that I am just not bored at all.

10. Nefer007

Nefer007 Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, Starbound has gotten... more and more "ehh..." over time.
    1.0 in particular. Devs took my beloved Gutterknife and gave us a better Super Fishaxe instead. Still totally miffed that they totally changed the combat system, I liked it when it was broken as hell by impossibly-rare weapons and all-powerful racial staffs.

11. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

I got bored of stations on the 1.0 launch. They just removed so much from the game. Everything from weapons that could be crafted so you could ensure that you had a weapon you like at every teir all the way to techs that they removed. They even removed character customization options on the 1.0 launch. And why? Because.

That is why starbound got boring to me

Edit: also, readding touch damage to combat made the combat incredibly boring.

12. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah, why is touch damage back? they can clearly make mobs that have pushback without doing damage, so why do back to this awkward touch damage stuff?

13. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

After some time , every game seem boring , the more you learn about a game , the less you can discover new thing , so yes , it's can become boring , but hopefully , you still can make new char , play with new friend , try different mod , or like i've do , play another game some time and come back some month later.

But as it's a sentiment related to our knowledge, I have voted no.