Modding Help Any way to add Individual Race Perks?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by IncredibleMeh, Nov 15, 2015.

1. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

actually i think you could use world.entitySpecies(entity.id()) and it should return the name of the specie the character is independently of the mod. it certainly works when i use a tech script so i don't see a valuable reason for it to not work in the player_primary.lua

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Certain Lua environments are isolated from specific functions.

3. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

i just tried adding world.logInfo(world.entitySpecies(entity.id())); at line 53 a player_primary.lua in a mod folder got myself hit and it actually worked, i printed out the race of my character when i get fall damage and exterior damage such as being hit by a mob... and this is the damage handler so i guess you could expand from there and add some fall damage resistance by checking the race and then the damage type and then modify the damage amount that it going to be applied.

some tables such as effect and animator are restricted almost everywhere but the world is almost everywhere and the entity works every time you are in a file that actually controls some part of an entity behaviors/mechanics

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

In that case it is likely it would have only been added in the past 2 months.
    When I was developing a mod around it during the summer, the function was still not available for primary player.

I do remember asking Meta if he will ever support it back then - all I got at that time was they currently don't need access to the function and will look into it.

5. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

Hey, if you have any success at all I would LOVE to know about it.

Frankly, I think it was a HUGE missed opportunity to make all of the race options a purely cosmetic choice. Playing certain races OUGHT to come with a cost;/benefit decision involved. Glitch are machines... they don't need to breathe, radiation ought to be virtually harmless, energy should be MUCH higher and regen faster, and they ought to be far more heat/cold resistant than other species. The downside? They're big heavy lunks of metal that can't swim worth a damn and take MASSIVE damage against all things electrical. If hunger ever becomes a thing, they ought to only be able to eat mechanical foods... everything else would damage their innards.

No mod, to date, has been able to make playing as a certain race really FEEL like you're playing as that race. It's unfortunate, because for all the show folks make of which species they love and which ones they hate, the choice itself is completely arbitrary and meaningless. Even if you don't get as in-depth into the idea as I probably would, I want to see something along these lines happen. So I hope you keep plucking away at it!

IncredibleMeh and AmazonValkyrie like this.
  6. IncredibleMeh

IncredibleMeh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, given what has been said so far I've decided to upload what I've made so far for people to see and experiment with. I figure it's the least I can do after all the help I've gotten.

Here is the mod I've created. Currently it's highly experimental, and clearly unfinished. But with time I'm going to keep refining it and hopefully I'll make something on par with people's expectations.