1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Any use for ocean planets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spancialosaphus, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Spancialosaphus

Spancialosaphus Void-Bound Voyager

Answering in the coord megathread earlier made me wonder: after nipping down to the seabed for some kelp, has anyone used an ocean planet for anything? Circumnavigated one? Found anything interesting (structures, critters)?

2. Kethus

Kethus Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can use a water ocean type for a coralcreep garden. There don't seem to be any dungeons on these planets and there are little chests, so there is so far no point in going to poison ocean and magma ones, as you can't safely go underwater and even if you could there is nothing interesting down there.

3. Firetempest

Firetempest Big Damn Hero

Its been awhile for me. Can you still cheat and transmute flowing water into different types of liquid by messing with the mixture mechanics?

4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Afaik you can't with ocean water anymore though regular finite body of waters on other worlds can be so poisoned.

To answer the OP, kelp gathering seems to be one of the big use of ocean planets for the hylotl mission.
    Also, the -bottom- of the ocean seems to have the occasional microdungeon in mini, generally single-room sized, ruins of direstones generally containing breakable pottery and chests as well as (some) bits of floran furnitures(specifically bioluminescent "lamps").

The underground of ocean planets also seems to be a good source of both silver and titanium ore(though breaching into it can be tricky since if you don't block your hole of entry the ocean's water will pour into the entry you just made into the air-filled caverns).

Also, the one ocean planet I have visited sofar had islands which were a good source of both coconuts and sugar cane as well as possessing a ton of "tall grasses" that could be cut for plant fibre(probably to make up for the fact the only way you can get vines is to otherwise swim down to the bottom of the ocean and breach into the underground caverns).

5. Honestly, I don't see much point in going to them aside from harvesting things from the earth under the ocean. The biggest benefit is you get to skip the just below the surface level since it's all water. Which means you can cut down on travel time under the surface for larger veins of ore. Otherwise, ocean planets will eventually have hylotl building and other under-water dungeons.

6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Kelp for the main progression quest, coconuts for one of the side quests.

Other then that theres not strictly any "need" for the ocean planets. But they are (in my humble opinion) worth exploring (they have some rather neat structures now, even a few on the ocean floor).

(Unless you want to build a underwater base/colony like i did).

Ludovic likes this.
  7. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I felt the small structure on the ocean floor was a very nice touch myself.

Do you know if some of the islands come with structures or villages of their own?

Also, I think it was confirmed that when Hylotl villages or cities are ever added into the game, they will be based on ocean planets. It might be an interesting touch, considering the given Outpost quest to that subject, if they used actual kelp as currency there!

8. Garatgh Deloi

I should also add that having a endless supply of water helps if you want to make a farm with a automatic watering system.

9. Spancialosaphus

Thanks all. I'll take another squint down there. I do fancy an undersea base, get my Jacques Cousteau on.

(reads wiki)

Wait a minute... there's Pirate Pants! Sold.

10. I actually built a cool air-lock system using the wiring system. You activate a switch that opens the ouside door and closes the inside door. Inside the chamber you active a second switch that closes the door outside door and enables a set of drains. Once the room is clear of water (as per several liquid sensors) it opens the inside door.

Arti78 likes this.
  11. Garatgh Deloi

Speaking of underwater bases and airlocks, Since i have shamelessly showed of my underwater base in three threads allredy i may as well show it here too :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here is the airlock in action:

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Ocean planets are the main source for reeds and reed items. If you want an ocean local without the hassle, ocean planets and similar are the best.

You can also get to the ore rich underground quickly compared to land planets. A little setup for poison and lava and you're there.

13. The poison oceans aren't even dangerous, you just have to spam bandages.

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm a penny pincher and made antidote potions for days ^^;;;

15. I seriously find a crazy amount of Med-kits, Nano-bandages, and regular Bandages from simply planet skimming. It's a little absurd actually.

16. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

The funny thing is I did found one teasure chest in the magma ocean. I use admin mode to go down there to check and I was wondering so long until I found one chest... YES GENTALMENS AND LADIES! I had found 1 so far, because I always wonder if one generated world will have 1 error it be bull to try get chest down there and yes I had found it one time. but its hard to see because whole field is bright like crazy. I find it annoying. Welp time sit on my magical unicorn (as in statcue) .

P.S if you ask me what was in the loot? It just full crap that is my answer.

17. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

THIS is the use for Ocean planets. To built nice underwater bases. :)

18. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

Other then using them for sweet colonies...not really. But I imagine sweet sweet Hylotl cities and whatnot will eventually be implemented. *been waiting SO LONG for Hylotl settlements*

19. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

This has just encouraged me to play a Hytlotl seriously for the first time and to actually make an Ocean planet my home base.

Garatgh Deloi and Disig like this.
  20. Spancialosaphus

Witchcraft! Burn the witch! (searches wiki furiously) Oh I see. Noice!

What's that big old drill-looking thing down the bottom there?