1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo Overhaul is gone. :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yuni, May 16, 2014.

1. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Yay for Elate taking up the unpopular and difficult banner! Someone's gotta do it, and you're doing quite well.

I think that whatever went on behind the scenes, both parties could have done a lot better than they did. There were several gates along the way that were passed, and the end result was a meltdown. Anytime something this big and negative happens, I think that both parties are responsible.

That being said, I think the forum ban was the least surprising part to me. He had a pretty solid history of really bad interactions with mods along with negative and sometimes-nonconstructive criticism of CF. He was very set in his mindset, and no one could convince him otherwise. Conviction is cool, but it really hurts collaboration when you can't cooperate with other people. From what he'd said on this forum alone, even before the 4chan business, I kinda think he had spent a lot of time painting a target on his own back.

Fair or not, when you do things that accuse the powers that be of bad stuff, in their own house, you are walking on a short plank. Please note that I do not think CF/mods are vengeful more than normal/average mods/devs are, because they could have redacted quite a few accounts and posts by now, yet they haven't. I think that they're very willing to hear negative feedback, even when it's borderline-nonconstructive, but everyone reaches a point when they simply don't want to hear it anymore.

I think it's easy to say that with CF being the professional outfit, the burden of responsibility on their end was higher. At the same time, they've had a significant amount of pressure and events happening on their end, so they can't run at 110% forever.

It's also easy to say Wurmheart should have been more patient or reached out more than once every X months, but I don't think I would have been able to keep quiet for 2? months without hearing back from something I thought was happening any day now.

I think it's understandable when people say Molly/CF should have responded to PMs from mod authors in Wurmheart's situation (having a mod that was being integrated into the game) more promptly, but Molly was also in charge of HR, immigration, and localization, which probably meant she was also trying to coordinate the arrivals and housing situations for the newly-arriving members... Each of these duties are pretty close to fulltime, and she's doing all of them? Some things are going to slip.

I hope that the community at large doesn't take this as "Speak out, get banned", because I don't think that's a fair representation of the situation.

Rovole, Elate and Litagano Motscoud like this.
  2. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

@Elate is such a scrub, hehe :)

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Elate likes this.
  3. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Well no, he didn't know the details of UK contract law at the start and then he did research to discover more, including that consideration is a legal requirement for any contract. As I told him, the CF agreement does lack consideration but it could still be held legally binding if it was considered a deed rather than a contract, where no consideration is required. When it comes to a transfer of property (intellectual or otherwise) a deed is not uncommon. Also, consideration doesn't mean monetary recompense, it just means that both parties get something. The possible consideration would be that something of his gets included in a finished game and that does provide some kind of value (handy for job applications, for example), but on the other hand it wasn't guaranteed to be included.

4. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Let's be friends
    1358353459_1480816566.gif

5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Alucard wants to be friends.
    Friendship is magic.
    Starbound is Sci-Fi, and has no magic.
    Conclusion: We can't be friends.

MysticMalevolence and Elate like this.
  6. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

-Snip-

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    HI-MAX² and Lobo like this.
  7. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

He didn't abandon reason, though he doesn't have any hopes on Starbound being finished anytime soon with all the flamboyant features we've been seeing on the screenies... so it's just hope. I believe he quit because the game didn't appeal to him anymore, which is absolutely reasonable since he was doing the mod for free. We can't force modders to work if they don't want to... not without Apex brain control tech.

And speaking about hope, I hope Wurm was wrong so we can see this game in its full potential.

8. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I was going by his words where the specifics of the contract he was interested in was consideration. There was no mention of other legal curiosities and he was quite detailed in just about anything else.
    The theme of buyers remorse was fairly strong.

This is obviously a pretty big lose lose situation for all involved. I feel sorry for all everyone, but prob not for the reasons most would.

9. xxCygnus13xx

xxCygnus13xx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To anyone who is still interested in this mod, I am working on updating it to current stable version. Ill keep people posted on how it goes.

Guthrie28, StarScribe and HI-MAX² like this.
  10. Azereiah

Azereiah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Hey, sorry bro, but you signed away your ownership! We can do whatever we want with it now!"

Dunno how his signing that agreement will impact your efforts, but good luck if nothing happens.

11. StarScribe

StarScribe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Best of luck.

12. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

All he has to do is upload the mod to dropbox or even keep it on the nexus (I'd recommend the former) and everything should be fine. Besides, the original owner did do some shady things. Really, let's face it, for some, the crafted guns far out-stripped the random ones you found in the old stable builds (Dudebro Shooter was an actual machine gun I found in a chest once) and the whole craftable tiered Crossbows made hunting much more bearable.

Also, all the mods technically belong to CF anyway, since they are using Starbound's engine and a good chunk of it's assets to function at all.

13. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Yo, let's be civil in here. Also, please be mindful of what you post; I don't want anyone to get into trouble by violating the Forum Rules (this includes borderline content).

14. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow, after i read that all, i am really in a bad mood now.
    They seem to have acted wrong both, but chucklefish is in a better situation so they should consider how to act carefully on such cases.
    Well, i hope they reach out to this modder and settle this like good gentlemen instead of just banning and accusing hence and forth.
    After all, it could have been evaded with more communication on both sides.

Guthrie28 likes this.
  15. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Is it at least possible to allow higher tier bows or even crossbows? Having to go back to low tier maps for using the low tier bows isn't exactly fun, neither is relying on RNGesus for getting a tier-appropriate corssbow.

16. Ah, here's this thread again. It was a bad time with faults on both parties at hand here. Not much else needs to be said.
    If you do actually succeed in bringing it back from the dead (since I doubt Chucklefish is going to make use of this after this whole debacle.), kudos for your efforts. I'm sure a lot of people missed this mod after the owner left entirely.

17. xxCygnus13xx

xxCygnus13xx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To keep people updated, I have most of the mod working in the current version, but I need to do a couple things still and test it some more. The items may need to be rebalanced a bit as well, but we shall see. I have also contacted the original author and it would seem that I have his permission/blessing to continue his work.

18. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

In my opinion, the ammo overhaul was fun at first but quickly turned into overpowered BS. Doesn't help that the ammo crafting is so arbitrary too. Because of course you're going to get a rainbow-plasma-helix from stuffing three different colors of flower petals in your bullet casings...

Communication errors and professionalism aside, I'm kind of glad it isn't going to be in the main game.

19. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Cygnus did point out that he was rebalancing the guns and such, so the overpowered BS should stop. Keep in mind, back when we had 10 tiers of armor, the overpowered BS stuff was pretty much needed to survive the Tier X planets because of how quickly enemy damage and health scaled compared to player health, armor, and damage.

20. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Fair point, it's just that even at tier 1, (in the old mod and koala starbound) I found guns good enough to shred the bosses within seconds. That just wasn't right, and that along with the arbitrary crafting really put me off of it.