America is gone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wakefulzack, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

The anti-science movement is slowly but surely becoming an actual threat. I wonder how many kids anti-vaccer parents already got killed or severely sick. For the first time in a very long time, it seems the world is indeed going backwards, the last time being the fall of Rome and finally, the sacking of Constantinople.

2. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Well, I can tell you that there have been measles outbreaks because of the anti-vaccers, and I hear polio is a thing again.

Surenu likes this.
  3. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Excuse my while I get my mask ready...
    [​IMG]

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  4. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

You, uh, might need a new one; it seems to be too hole-y for the task.

5. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I still have my old gas mask from back then, but I doubt it's still in working condition.

In al seriousness though, I think that this decade won't end well for many of us.

6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

IMO, let them die... We cannot afford to let such a pestilence on intellect plague our gene pool. If they aren't willing to save themsleves or let us save them, then they don't deserve to be saved... Darwinism in motion...

7. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

The only issue with that is while the anti-vaccers could vaccinate, but won't, my main concern is for those who can't vaccinate due to having a weak immune system. They don't exactly have many options.

8. Jareix Cryvix

That's a bit problematic... Then it becomes an even tenser balance of ethics...

9. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Some of us will enjoy the sea of rot they'll leave behind.

10. Jareix Cryvix

Should they end up culling off the weaker part of the population, it will be a sad day.
    But it won't be the end at least. Like the enlightenment era from the ashes of Rome, we will press on.

11. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

What is sad is the weak survive but the strong die out.... kinda opposite the evolution assumptions, no?

12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

"It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself."
    -Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If society breaks down, the first people who are in deep trouble are the rich, powerful and famous.

They think they have everything, money, fame, power... but that's only because current society allows it. Take that away, and you end up with a group of people that have little to no practical skills, people who have been pampered all their lives who are not used to doing things like living out in the cold. They'll be among the first people to get sicknesses, the suicide rates amongst that group would be the highest because they can't take living in those kinds of conditions, etc.

Meanwhile, the poor people who have already been living under similar conditions will fare much better. They are already used to having little, and you really can't take much else away from them. The homeless people would then have the best survival rates because they've already got the skills they need to survive without society, their bodies are already adapted to horrible living conditions, resistant to cold and diseases because they've been exposed to do that for a large portion of their lives.

That's what the rich and powerful do not understand... without the lower class peons, their lavish lifestyle would not be possible. SOMEBODY had to build their condos, their expensive cars, and cook their meals because they sure don't have the skills to do it. SOMEBODY has to keep their homes clean, they sure aren't going to do it.

What happens with those SOMEBODIES are taken away? Their living conditions go to crap fast and they find themselves without any survival skills.

I almost pity them for this reason, when crap inevitably hits the fan and it all comes tumbling down, they will have the worst time of it. But then, it was them who caused it in the first place, so.... they made their bed and they shall soon lay in it.

Lodish and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That kinda reminds me of how amused I feel every time I hear people describe society as a ladder, supported from the top, with only one space per step; claiming everyone can make it to the top with enough work. I find that society is better described as a pyramid, supported from the bottom, plenty of space at the base, and fewer spaces the more you climb.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The further you climb, the further you'll fall etc.

That's why when it comes to ladders, I think I'll stand on the ground, kthx. My head never has to go more than 5 feet, 8 inches until it hits the ground.

16. Jareix Cryvix

I think that Huxley did a story about it. There were the Alphas and Betas, bred to be societal elites, best lives and best jobs handling all the high class stuff. And then there were the lower class Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons. The lower class worker breed. Didn't have much and did all the labor and other general work. An experiment was done where groups of each of the classes were isolated on an island community. The Alphas and Betas ended up dying out because they refused to do all the labor themselves and tried to get others in the group to do the work. In the end, nothing got done and they all starved. Meanwhile for the other groups, they ended up surviving quite well, working together for the common good and doing what needed to be done.
    I think the parallels that can be drawn between the bred orders and our own societal pyramid are quite obvious...

Surenu and Lodish like this.
  17. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I came here to make a joke about how we can now control America through Trump, but apparently I missed the opportunity and people are now discussing something else. Damn.

18. Jareix Cryvix

Trump is unfortunately a threat to everyone except the the third of america that supports him... Have you seen his latest press conference? It was terrifyingly just...
    Ughh... I mean, even right leaning news like Fox are going "Who the hell is this guy?!" and he's calling them "fake news" for it.

19. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I'm not the one to discuss America's politics, but it seems to me he's trying to make America independent on oil from other countries. That's great, but media-wise he's indeed terrible.

20. Jareix Cryvix

It's not just terrible, it's very dangerous. We are dealing with a man that doesn't even know anything about the FUCKING NUCLEAR TRIAD. This is a man who doesn't understand how to validate sources, only believes in things he agrees with, and then spreads that false knowledge to others.
    Actually, John Oliver did a great episode on it. I suggest you watch it.