1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Alright, so I just started playing again...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Doublejho, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

...and I noticed that my Impervium hammer now deals 42 DPS compared to the old 1000+. Is that normal?
    Also, it only deals 12 more DPS overall than a dagger from the same set.

2. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Your damage is now greatly influenced by your armour. Take a look at your armour modifiers to get a good idea of your relative power.

3. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

they greatly re-balanced the damage of weapons and health of monsters. dont worry, that 42 is equal in value to the previous 1000+. think of it like they reduced all the values by 1000% so that 12 dps difference is actually same as the old 1200 dps difference.

4. Doublejho

Aw, so now I'm gonna have to roll with armour that ISN'T impervium in order to get higher damage?

Oh, fair enough, it does seem a little strange that a dagger can do as much as a hammer though.

Another question; where do I create impervium armour? i've got the 3 coloured table things and I can craft the impervium weapons at them, but I can't find the actual armour. Maybe I've just forgotten where, but I can't actually remember where I did it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just needed to pick the previous armour stages back up again.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You need to craft the tier 5 armor first to unlock the tier 6.

The dagger does NOT do the same damage. DPS is a calculation of damage vs attack speed. IE 10 damage and 1 second attack speed is 10DPS. Conversly, 20 damage and a 2 second attack speed is still 10 DPS. So the dagger attacks fast, but doesn't hit hard. The hammer hits hard, but not fast.

Here is how weapon damage is calculated: http://community.playstarbound.com/...-works-as-of-pleased-giraffe-at-least.101439/

6. Doublejho

If the base DPS number isn't correct, then why is it called base DPS?

7. lazarus78

The DPS is correct. What makes you think it's not? Like I said, its a calculation of damage vs attack speed, not the raw damage per hit.

8. Doublejho

You said the dagger didn't do the same damage, which is fairly obvious, but it doing 33 base dps whilst a hammer does 42 was my initial complaint.

9. lazarus78

DPS is NOT the weapon damage.

DPS is just damage divided by attack speed. An average value of effectivly how much damage a weapon does in a second IF the weapon had a 1 second attack speed. Thus faster weapons will have high DPS despite not doing much damage per individual swing.

Example from some of my custom weapons.

[​IMG]
    60 damage per shot. 0.67 attack speed. 40 DPS

[​IMG]
    6 damage per shot. 6.67 attack speed. Still 40 DPS

Notice the attack speed of the latter gun is 6 times faster, and the damage is 10 times lower, yet the DPS is the same.

10. You need to take the armor into consideration based on the (I think its 300%) damage increase.

42*(300/100) = 126
    33*(300/100) = 99

As you can see, it's a substantial difference.

This is all leading up to the big combat patch that's happening. We'll see greater variation in weapons aside from just swing arc and attack speed.

11. Doublejho

I didn't say they were the same.
    I suppose, though wouldn't that balance out overall anyway?

12. lazarus78

You were implying that the closeness of their DPS meant that the hammer didn't do much damage, or that the dagger did almost the same damage as the hammer. And that is false. As shown in my images, 2 weapons with the same DPS but a damage spread of 54.

13. It's always the same percentage difference, but with how health scaling works, the extra damage from the hammer is gonna result in fewer strikes. Additionally with a weaker, faster attack speed weapon, you're penalized less for missing attacks. So hammers are great, but if you miss, you're out the full power of the strike.

So for example:
    Weapon A has 50 adjusted weapon damage and an attack speed of 1 attack per second
    Weapon B has 10 adjusted weapon damage and an attack speed of 5 attacks per second

Both weapons have the same DPS since attack speed for weapon B offsets the attack speed for weapon A.
    For every 1 hit with weapon A, you'd need 5 with weapon B to do the same damage

If you miss that one attack with weapon A, you've wasted all your chances to damage for that full second. However with weapon B, if you miss the first attack, you have 4 more attacks you can potentially hit with.

In summation, it punishes you more for missing with slow attack speed weapons than it does for fast attack speed weapons.

Additionally the damage on slower weapons is higher as an offset to this punishing mechanic, not by a whole lot, but enough to make a difference. Also, daggers are aimable, hammers are not but have a larger hit box. Their balancing is pretty wonky with some of the design choices, but it makes for interesting combat.

14. Doublejho

Other than what Maxwell said, standing still and bashing things would result in their base DPS leaning more towards dagger in terms of efficiency, with dual dagger being stronger than a hammer.

I suppose that's true, I prefer to use heavy, hard-hitting weapons along with targetted blink for minimal damage intake.

15. lazarus78

Naturally. You have 2 weapons. The hammer will always hit harder, making a 1-hit kill of most things more likely.

Targeted blink was disabled in nightly. Still useable, but you cant unlock it normally from the ship AI anymore. It generally made things too easy.

16. Doublejho

Wow, it's like they don't like mobility or something. I'm still disgruntled about the removal of butterfly boost.

17. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

They removed midair energy dash as well.

18. Doublejho

Wait, what? You mean the default energy dash can't be used in mid-air any more?

19. I'm pretty sure the changes are to promote vehicle use (which will be in the game soon) and to eliminate abilities that make planet skimming so lucrative.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I also wouldn't be shocked to see a late-game Air Dash upgrade that gives you the midair dash. I feel like we're gonna see a hefty amount of Tech reshuffling before 1.0.