1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Allusions

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Urza_, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Urza_

Urza_ Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure whether this should be in suggestions or general discussion, so I'm simply putting this here. What do you think they can/will/should put in this game to allude to pop culture?

2. Dsc

Dsc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A planet made up of nothing but Pop Culture references would be amazing.

3. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Well, as seen in Terraria they really liked giving those references to Legend of Zelda's Link, and Mario. Social clothing also seems like a nice touch to this game, and will have many gear like Terraria's Clothier.

I think they should give small abilities depending on the social gear! Superman clothing will give you the ability of a small "glide", or a Samus suit gives a Ball form for no real purpose... Just to look awesome.

4. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Considering the enormous procedural generation abilities, it wouldn't be hard to throw whatever the Devs want into the game and make it almost impossible to find again; whether that be enemies/mobs or weapons etc.

An example would be have 1 of the many many possibilities of Horse (or closest horse equivalent) skins/textures include a horn (unicorn, anyone?).

5. Ozaku

Ozaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd expect that there's the occasional item that everyone has access to. I would be more surprised if they didn't put a reference to Terraria.

6. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I rather like the idea of turning into a ball. If it reduced the height of the player so they could fit through smaller holes, it would make multiplayer interesting since it could be used to make something like an air vent into a room with only a way out and no other way in.

Kohjix likes this.
  7. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

this thread made me :rofl:

8. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Urza, I imagine modding will allow you to allude to MTG if you so please.

I think would be pretty neat ^_^

9. Urza_

Urza_ Void-Bound Voyager

What about having each social armor have a different idle animation, like if you just sit around in the Samus suit you will go into a ball and spin in place for a bit?

10. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

I'd like to see a minecraft planet myself.

11. meg

meg Void-Bound Voyager

Again, the Space Jockey of course !

12. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

Seeing references in random events kinda like in the fallout games would be awesome. They could add hundreds of little scripted events and make them extremely rare, like finding little mexican standoffs with characters uttering memorable lines from films or popular game characters dead amidst a group of monsters, for example allowing you to kill them off and loot megaman's outfit or something similar. Obviously they'd be slyly renamed and have slight changes to their outfits, but either way :)

13. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

As a living pile of pop culture references, I would enjoy all the references they can put in.

14. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

Pop culture references in video games could be funny but please no meme references! When I say references I mean jokes like "friendship is magic, but I can't turn friends into frogs with friendship" or other similar jokes that plagued Terraria. I prefer having an original game that is funny enough that it doesn't have to fall back onto memes to make it funny. I think a good game should be funny enough that it creates it's own meme instead of using someone elses. A good example wold be Team Fortress 2, they do have culture references now but at the beginning it didn't need any because the character dialogue lines were funny enough that we didn't need anyone going, "yo dawg!"
    I'll admit meme references could be funny at times in games but memes come and go and I'd like to see Starbound last longer than your average meme.

15. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, memes are extremely tacky and shouldn't really be used outside of their usual sharing grounds. The only references to pop culture which should be considered are references to popular games or movies perhaps, and the references themselves should be subtle and thoughtfully implemented. Nothing like a pixelated Xzibit talking about chests inside chests... :p

Attack_Fish likes this.
  16. Spike

Spike Supernova

Yes... YES... YESSSSS!!!!.png

17. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

I like that idea. Idle animation only seems fitting being that there isn't a notification for "AFK" in Terraria.

I might be focusing on comparing Terraria to Starbound a bit, sorry about that. >.<

18. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks, REALLY thanks, now I want a morphball and make lots of tunnels in my later base through which only I can get with said morphball :zzz:
    also "no real purpose" is an insultation towards the morphball, that thing is amazing, I sometimes spent 10min rolling around completely as ball in Metroid Prime, simply because it was so damn much fun (the controls also were veeeery nice made since you head really wonderful control over the rolling)

and @Kohjix: the comparing between StarBound and Terraria is unavoidable since they are pretty similiar to a specific level, and gladly not at another.

19. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Statues of Terraria bosses :p

20. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Space core.
    Uh oh, here come the space cops!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.