1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for those Scared of Wipes

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The | Suit, Dec 23, 2013.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is quite a few people gumbling about whiping characters \ universes etc,
    A simple solution is to disable steam updates.

How to disable steam update for starbound.
    Go to your Library
    Right Click on Starbound --> Properties

[​IMG]

Go to updates.
    Choose Do not update this game Automatically.

This will prevent the game from auto updating resulting in you loosing your characters and universes without your consent.
    So when you feel mentally and emotionally ready to update, you can.

2. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you PLAY a game Steam may decide to check for an update anyway... if it's not in offline mode.

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Yes - but if you choose not to update the game. It won't update untill you tell it too.

4. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Useful hint ;) + like

5. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had that happen when auto-updates were OFF or I wouldn't have mentioned it. =)

Steam is weird and it changes constantly. No way to tell how it will work tomorrow...

6. scousedan

scousedan Void-Bound Voyager

Do saves get wiped on every update or just rarely?

7. Boshed

Boshed Cosmic Narwhal

They don't delete your files, they are just no loner compatible with the next/current version

scousedan likes this.
  8. scousedan

scousedan Void-Bound Voyager

Ah ok.
    Does this happen with the latest update?
    I can't see for myself as I can't get to my computer.
    Thanks in advance.

9. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes

10. Boshed

Boshed Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, my files remain

scousedan likes this.
  11. Terrahero

Terrahero Cosmic Narwhal

Honestly if you dont want to deal with wipes then perhaps not play beta. You will miss out on a lot of content yet to be added to the game and you will not unlikely run into issues that have been fixed in a newer version.

If you are absolutely pleased with the content and dont want to update, knock yourself out and stick to what you have if youre having fun.
    But just remember one thing, youre feedback is largely meaningless as its based on an outdated version that is missing big content updates, bug fixes and balance changes. Infact your feedback could even murky the waters, if a dev is actually spending time to figure something out that has already been sorted.

Gulbrandr likes this.
  12. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

I think that since this is the recent hot topic. I for one, WAIT for wipes. I've done everything already and I can't stand to delete my own characters. The wipes force me to start all over again.. This way I will see more new things and experience it as someone who is just getting their handles on surviving. I think more people should try to adopt this mentality. How you deal with a wipe is a choice.

13. zeroNth

zeroNth Space Hobo

I never wipe... just sayin'.

The | Suit likes this.
  14. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

I'm.. just going to stand over here now..

15. Amused2Death

Amused2Death Aquatic Astronaut

On a day like today, it is so hard not to tell some to take their med's.

Gazz and The | Suit like this.
  16. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I took some medical alcohol. Makes it a lot easier.