1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure maps?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I was just wondering if this is either able to be done or even allowed on these forums.

If I built an adventure map or obstacle course on a planet, then found the planet file and uploaded it, could someone else download that planet, install it in their universe folder, travel to it and see what I made and be able to do the things I set up? Is that kind of file sharing even allowed here?

This could open up a whole new level of user-generated stuff!

2. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

You COULD do that, I think starbound side stories and my starbound crew used to work that way. However, both mods are hugely depreciated; no idea if they still work.

Why not just make a dungeon mod?

3. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not a code wizard. All I know about Lua is that it sounds like coffee.

4. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

You don't need Lua to make a dungeon mod if you're only using vanilla assets, and the required JSON is easy enough to pick up by studying the game files with a little effort. I started not knowing a whit about either, too.

But back to the point - sharing planet files will work, but it will make installing the maps and getting to them a little more of a hassle. You also won't be able to do certain things, place some objects and produce a number of effects, which I've found to limit one's creativity somewhat.

Ultimately, it's your choice.

5. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Have you heard of Starbound Tiled? It's a GUI editor for dungeons. Let me pull it up for you:

http://starbounder.org/Modding:Tiled