1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

ADMINS MAY LOCK OR DELETE THIS THREAD.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Ignes_Vulpes, May 10, 2017.

1. Ignes_Vulpes

Ignes_Vulpes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but about a year ago my phone was stolen and since I was using the Steam Guard app I also lost access to my account. I lost a few games including Starbound (my favorite). Steam refuses to help me regain access to my account because they "can't prove that the account belongs to me". I told them all my information, but I guess that cuz I don't remember every little thing about making the account (made it years ago) they won't help. I am hoping that someone here can give me some advice since I'm not getting any from Steam at all.
    I am also downloading the game from IGG till I can either get my account back or spare enough to buy it again (plz don't kill me devs).
    This is my (lost) Steam account: steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198226637868

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I downgraded my phone so lost access to Steag Guard on my phone. But I redownloaded it and verified it to the phone again..

Do you remember the correct username and password to log in?

3. Ignes_Vulpes

It won't let me login because it has to send a verification code via text to that phone which is now long gone and disconnected.

4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Isn't there an option to say I cannot access that device no longer?

I am certain I did that and if your number is the same they will email you a new verification code and tie your phone to your account again

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

So you changed numbers when you got your new phone?

6. Ignes_Vulpes

I never bothered to get a new phone, cuz I am unable to get a new phone with that number unless I actually have the original phone. I also kinda lost access to that email as well because of the Gmail phone verification thing. I was logged into Steam and Gmail, but the power went out one day and idk why but Firefox logged me out of everything.

7. lazarus78

But Gmail should remember you by your connection history. Didn't you set up a backup email? (You should) And requiring the old phone to keep the same number seems odd given they are purely arbetrary and simply associated to an account/sim card, but are very able to be changed. Ive had the same number and 5 different phones over the past 15 years.

8. Ignes_Vulpes

I had a backup email, but just like Steam they tell me "we can't verify the account belongs to you". Trying to recover with Steam is broken, and when I get to the part where I have to enter the password for the lost account it tells me "An error occurred trying to handle that request. Please give us a few minutes and try again". It's been telling me that for the past 30mins. Also the phone was with Boost and they told me I needed the phone or simcard. I could try another service, but I just don't have the money for another phone just so someone can steal that one as well (people like stealing my stuff).

9. lazarus78

Well gmail should have a live customer service. I'm sure they could get it sorted out.

There is always a way with enough persistance.

10. Ignes_Vulpes

Both Steam and Google need a customer service number.

11. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

Ummmm... maybe try a pay phone for customer service? I know a few of those are still around, try the local gas stations. Be more careful with your account in the future. I hope you get it back though

12. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

or borrow a phone from a friend

13. Ignes_Vulpes

I'm still getting the same error with Steam when trying to recover my account, so I've made a new account and I'm just going to re-purchase all those games again. I wish Steam wasn't required for almost all pc games, cuz this new account will be my 3rd one (first was completely deleted by hackers like 5 or 6 years ago). Even tho I am unable to recover the account, I thank you for the help anyways.

14. lazarus78

Your story sounds almost... fantastical... in that it is not really believable. The feature for removing games from an account was only added relatively recently, around the time of the refund change.

And I find it hard to believe you've exhausted your recovery options. Account security is an issue that Valve does need to take seriously, but recovery is still possible in virtually every case. They can link account history, and even credit card information to you to verify who you are.

But if you want to just re-buy the games, then that is your choice. Take proper measures to protect yourself this time. Redundant email accounts and whatnot, to help in any future recovery.

15. Ignes_Vulpes

I don't really care what you believe. I asked for help/advice not your opinion of my situation. I know exactly how it sounds, and just because something sounds ridiculous or "fantastical" it doesn't mean that it is.