admin commands?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Clarynaa, Sep 1, 2013.

1. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Console is needed for admins on a server so obviously it must be accesible.
    As for the item spawing well... dont want it, dont use it?
    Other people using it ... Ban?
    Yes there will be cheat, but nothing is forcing you ever to play with it. This cannot be stressed enough, make a whitelist for your servers and make yourself a personal blacklist of server or server owner that are known to let this kind of thing go unchecked.

SPOOKS80 and Axe Garian like this.
  2. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

I would say for the purpose of beta it should be there for everyone to use my reason behind this :

1.) If there is any bugs related to items and you lose something important then it makes sense to get said item back......and report the bug as well if you can re-create it.

2.) Some players especially casual players or people that don't have a lot of time on there hands may find that spawning the odd item in to progress through the tiers is beneficial for the use of beta testing all the tiers.

3.) Why the hell not..........I mean we all want to explore all the content that's in beta anyway before release and it speeds up the process.

After beta then yes i agree it should be removed completely from the game and you should be made to play the game as intended even if you are a server owner, but for beta then i don't think it hurts too much to let people have a little free reign on what they do i mean we have all waited long enough to just play the game so for beta just let people have access to all the commands so they can play how they want to till release and let them explore everything so they get a good feel for the game.

On the plus side if people were to have admin commands during beta and they do give themselves all the good stuff then they are gonna understand how important them items are once there gone after release :p

3. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I think the issue is more that Chucklefish doesn't want spoilers released (that has been their stance for a long time) so they don't want someone to go around being like "LOOK AT THE TIER 10 GEAR!"

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

if that is the case then they will simply ship the beta without them in the game and add them for the release.

5. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Why hacks happen:

The basic rule of control over game inventory, is: "If you have access to the machine that stores the data, you can hack it". No matter how much "anti-cheat" safeguards you have, eventually someone will figure a way around it, because they have physical access to the storage.

"Anti-Cheat" client-side solutions such as VAC or PunkBuster do not aim to eliminate hacking, but to make it difficult enough to not be worthwhile. This works fine for "transient" hacking, meaning hacking that needs to keep happening for the hacker to gain advantage (e.g. speedhacks, or wallhacks) - these hackers only get advantage as long as their hacks run, and eventually detecting and banning them is usually good enough.

But this doesn't work for something like inventory duping, because hacking it just once is enough to cause permanent damage - the hacked items can be used, sold, bought, and spread among players to the point where detecting and identifying each item as "hacked" is impossible. A single huge batch of duped items can flood the entire world economy. And even if you eventually identify an item as hacked, what do you do if it already belongs to someone else? Is it fair to remove an item from player B's inventory, if player A bought it from player B (who earlier got it from hacker C), and neither player A nor player B knew it was hacked? What do you do if someone already consumed hacked items to gain a level, but also consumed legitimate stuff? How to you decide how to "undo" the damage? You can easily see how this goes out of control.

Peer-to-Peer vs. Central Storage:

All games that have managed to secure inventory (e.g. most MMOs) have been storing data on central servers owned by the developers. Even those sometimes get hacked (e.g. the Diablo II item duping), but modern centralized MMOs have mostly been pretty good at securing data against hacking. But the minute you step from storing and computing entirely server-side, to trusting the client machine to do the storage or computation, hacking comes back.

There are theoretical and very complex protocols that combine peer-to-peer storage with peer-to-peer validation to prevent duping (e.g. the way Bitcoin works), but data propagation and validation for those protocols is very slow and completely unsuitable for a performance-sensitive application such as a video game.

A central server architecture is fundamentally different from peer-hosted architecture. It would require the developers to host vast arrays of servers to store and process all inventory transactions made by all players. This is something that MMOs do, and is one of the reasons why developing MMOs is incredibly difficult and expensive (probably the most expensive gaming genre to make). It also requires the entire game to revolve around a permanent network connectivity, which has its own problems (remember the SimCity outcry when EA made it always require a permanent connection? Yeah). Finally, it requires an entirely different skill set on behalf of development team, which is something available to major publishers, but not to an indie studio such as Chuckefish. Even if they had the money to rebuild Starbound as an MMO-like architecture, we'd be waiting for the game for at least another year, maybe two. And that's surely something nobody wants.

It's not all bad!

The choice to go peer-to-peer vs central storage isn't unique to Starbound, and is pretty much the only choice for indie studios. For comparison, look at a popular Diablo III alternative called Torchlight II. It has multiplayer, but its also peer-based, unlike Diablo III's MMO-style central servers. And you know what? Many people actually prefer it that way! They would rather maintain control over their own characters, not be at the mercy of Blizzard's DRM and network availability, and accept the responsibility of safeguarding their own characters and experience by picking the friends and servers they play on.

We just have to accept the fact that Starbound multiplayer is peer-to-peer based, and as such, how much you trust the gear and other game experience is limited by how much you trust your peers. If you don't want your experience ruined, don't play with your main character on public servers - create a throwaway guy for those random times you feel like pubbing, and keep your main character reserved to your own world and the worlds of the friends you trust. And enjoy the benefits of this approach - no DRM, no online-only requirement, no dependency on other people's servers running, can backup and restore your data at any time, more modding options, and perhaps most importantly, a game that won't take another X years to deliver! ;)

Optix, Axe Garian and SPOOKS80 like this.
  6. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

tl;dr: Hacks arn't bad.

7. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

tl;dr: The chance of hacks as a result of playing with people you don't trust, can be better than the certainty of waiting twice as long and paying twice as much for an MMO-style implementation which is based on DRM and requires always-on connectivity, all for a game that's not even an MMO!

SPOOKS80 likes this.
  8. Clarynaa

Clarynaa Space Spelunker

Well, it's been a while since I checked this thread, I think many were misconstruing what I wanted. I merely wanted something like TP one player to another, for when we get seperated on our private server. Sometimes just walking is such a pain in the butt. I don't care about item spawning, or such things, but a ban/kick, and teleport would be good.

9. cvbbot

cvbbot Pangalactic Porcupine

That's what i agree on as well, but it seems some people just can't stand the fact that someone else, outside their own game/server is using cheats and ruining his own experience. Really, why do people care if someone else is ruining the game for himself? YOU play it, YOU enjoy it for yourself, not for someone else.

10. Blankness

Blankness Void-Bound Voyager

"Well iv'e finally got that stupid compass drop AND found enough mythril to finish my set, now to just shift-click equip all my items...."

-Everyday of Terraria.

Kn16h7 likes this.