1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding mods to an existing universe

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DukeScrewface, Jan 13, 2017.

1. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

Does anyone understand exactly how a universe is generated? If I add mods after universe generation will mod items(dungeons/villages, new creature models, etc) still get added to new worlds?

All the world types in a system I've been to are already decided, and it seems like the system types of nearby systems are also pre decided. Does this mean that I need to head to a never visited system to see the new world types? And does this mean I can never see new system types without starting a new universe? Do any mods even add new system types? What about mods that add stuff to the outpost, will the universe need to be re generated if someone has already been to the outpost?

If I add a mod that affects characters to a universe with already created characters, will it generally add the new attributes or whatever to existing chars? I guess I'm thinking of frackin races mostly.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Mods like that will be applied to new planets only. The universe is generated in chunks, so you can just pop in a random location and see all the new stuff.

DukeScrewface likes this.
  3. DukeScrewface

Cool. That's 1 of my 7 questions. If anyone knows the answer to any of the other ones don't be shy.

4. lazarus78

I answered more than just one...

1. Sure.
    2. See my previous post.
    3. See my previous post.
    4. See my previous post.
    5. Yes.
    6. No.
    7. Why not try it and find out? Make a new character, load the mod, and see if it takes effect. No risk of messing up your existing character.

5. DukeScrewface

As enlightening as that was, if anyone else knows the answer to any of my questions, please feel free to post, it would be appreciated.

6. lazarus78

... wow... I answered your questions and you straight up dismiss it.

7. DukeScrewface

please stop publicly trolling threads you don't know the answer to just to raise your stats. Some of us use the forums to get our questions answered and don't appreciate people popping out of the woodwork to harass us when we ask a question. Also it's really inappropriate to post stuff not related to answering my question; like your whining, in my question thread. I had the common courtesy to PM you with non thread related stuff, kindly try to do the same.

8. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

both of you quit acting like children lol. this thread will get locked faster then you can type the same reply for the fourth time.

so. okay. he did answer your questions. the universe isn't generated all at once, it generates as you play through it (or so I've been told). so, say you start a character but never get off the first planet. then you load in, say, the Avali mod just to see their settlements or whatever. they wouldn't show up on your first planet, maybe not even in your home system, but may show up on later planets you visit. maybe, because of how the game loads in dungeons and planet sizes and such.

without knowing what specific mods you're referring to, it's hard to pinpoint these answers. but, literally,
    is a pretty concise collection of answers to every question you had.

Thorin likes this.