Modding Discussion add glow effect to custom material

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by deliriousbiznasty, Jul 5, 2015.

1. deliriousbiznasty

deliriousbiznasty Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello! I've been working on several mods lately including one that adds a fairy- or christmas lights material to the game. I've managed to get the material to load in the game and placing the blocks works the way I want, but I would really like to make the blocks actually emit light! I've searched for other materials in-game that emit light so that I could look at the code but found none, and no other mods either so far as I searched.

I've tried several things, such as adding a status effect and changing the render parameters in the .material file but nothing works.

Does anyone know any tips to fix this?

Here's an image of the tiles in-game:
    [​IMG]

(this biome makes everything look a bit yellow, they're actually white)

2. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

I don't think there's a direct way to add fullbright to them and, well, do the stuff you'd do with objects.

But you can set blocks to be transparent or part-transparent...
    So, in theory, you cooould actually create blocks that are letting a bit of light through.
    But then again you might as well just create an object that glows.

Or a combination, the object being placed with a bit spacing, emitting light, and the transparent blocks profiting from it, emulating some kind of "glow" effect.

deliriousbiznasty likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

As far as I am aware the tiles them selves cannot emit light.
    The way the dungeons in Vanillia did it is to make objects which look like Tiles to emit the light instead.

deliriousbiznasty likes this.
  4. deliriousbiznasty

deliriousbiznasty Pangalactic Porcupine

I see! This is both very helpful. I'll try and experiment some more with your tips. Thank you!