1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Actually, you know what'd be a good large-scale update?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jul 2, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Dyeable decor items.

Chairs, tables, doors, storage devices, wall hangings. Maybe not light-casting objects because there's probably some complications in changing what color light they cast.

Doesn't need to be everything. That'd be ridiculous. Like the arcade machines, sure, leave those one-color. But that blue couch? What if we want brown to match the room? How about red normal curtains? Would that big industrial airlock door fit the build better if it could be made white? A pink flower bed? Would the Doom Door look cooler in black or purple? Geode furniture in different colors? Avian banners, Glitch flags? Shroom furniture? Floran pelts?

Just throwing that out there.

2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Actually, that's relatively easy to accomplish.

If we're making every instance of funiture item a separate oblject (i.e. Default door, Black-dyed door and Rainbow door considered to be three separate doors), that can be made in a weekend, only downside is that will clutter both recipes and furniture assets.

If all dyed items are actually just states of one item, that also can work (look at craftstation upgrades and fossil cases implementation), the main problem is how to change those states. Then again, I'm absolute shit at Lua, maybe someone smarter than me will figure that out.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm thinking using dyes on the items as we already do armors, as new-item recipes would be WAY overly cumbersome.

The "large scale" is more in the sheer AMOUNT OF STUFF this would apply to; making the individual color variants would be pretty quick per-item I think, just.... hoooo doggies, this could apply to a lot. Not that the initial coding might not be tricky, but... volume volume volume.

(Not that I would object to having Outpost monitors and whatnot with "dyeable" displays so they can display in purple or green and cast the appropriate light color; red vine-lights would be cool, but... I'm already tossing out a big step, let's leave lights for the next stage of the hypothetical.)

4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Took me entire 5 minutes. So yeah, lots of work, but can be done quickly.

2017-07-03_11h01_33.png
    2017-07-03_11h02_32.png
    2017-07-03_11h03_05.png
    2017-07-03_11h05_41.png

5. Mewrocks

Mewrocks Tentacle Wrangler

Much agree. It would be nice to have a radical pink chair.

6. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

It should be easy if they apply that recolor technique they are using for Wargroove, the method they use to change colors by team.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Aren't there already some items that have some recoloring palette stuff left over from when they tried that? I remember a mod that did this mentioned that some furniture already had the stuff for this implemented, albeit disabled.

8. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Yes and no. There are some color options for items, but the idea was ditched in Koalas, so only the oldest items got this treatment (and not even all of them to boot), and images are not the main dealbreaker there, code is.

9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I mean I don't blame them for ditching it in early builds. Not remotely. It's not even something I'd call needed for a 1.0 release. There's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important stuff to be done.

But now that the game it out and most everything major has been at least introduced function-wise? Giving us more decor options is definitely something to look into, I feel.