Modding Help Activating Tech (or Tech-Like Effects) on interaction with an object... possible?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by krail, Dec 12, 2013.

1. krail

krail Void-Bound Voyager

I'm wondering if I could activate a tech script, for example the mech, for a player who interacts with an object. Possibly even if the player doesn't have that tech?

Otherwise, could an active tech on a player respond to interaction with a certain object; perhaps though some kind of global variables?

I'm familiar with coding but not with lua scripting, I'm curious about how variables can be shared across scripts.

2. kieve

kieve Intergalactic Tourist

I've spent at least 8 hours on this problem. Short answer? No.
    Longer answer:
    Right now, the tech is completely isolated. I think it MAY be able to use some of the world.* functions, like spawning but it can't interact with anything. It can't IDENTIFY anything. The best it could do is "Oh, that's an object." or "Oh, that's an npc", but it can't know anything more specific than that.

3. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For the record I've been trying to crack this same question from a different angle (interacting with an object when starting from an entity). It's been brutal. :(

4. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

Best you could do is statusprojectiles (like the status pods) and just change the length of the effect.

Take a look into Starbound\assets\projectiles (the status projectiles)
    and \Starbound\assets\objects\generic\statuspod

You could always write some code to make a projectile for techs. Shouldn't be too hard

The code for the glow effect from pods is
    Code:
          "action" : "projectile",
          "type" : "glowgas",
          "fuzzAngle" : 0,
          "angleAdjust" : -40
    So maybe with a bit of tinkering you can change it to project tech stuff.