Action RPG versus Turn-based RPG

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corraidhín, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I have been curious about what people think between the differences of action based RPGs like Dark Souls and Crosscode or more traditional RPGs like Darkest Dungeon, I know for a fact that there are hundred more games, but those are the names that come to mind, and are somewhat recent examples of the genre that do very well to fill in the name of RPGs.

If anyone here has played one kind, or both, which became more memorable? in regards of characters, plot and the like? personally I like both Action and turn-based RPGs, having very fond memories of the first Dark Souls in regards of action and depth, but also becoming enthralled by the grueling difficulty and immense attention to detail that Darkest Dungeon puts to every action, despite being slower, it makes for some very stressful and risk-taking moments.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I cut my RPG teeth on turn-based with Dragon Quest/Warrior. So turn-based will always have a special place in my heart. Nowadays I play real-time battle system games (like Diablo 2 and 3). True, pure turn-based has an element of strategy that can involve careful planning (do I use this turn to heal or do damage?). Real-time battle is completely different. Planning ahead isn't as necessary; you must rely on your reflexes. I've played various games for both but probably have more experience with real-time. I don't know if I could pick a preference, though. I like both.

3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Yeah, I remember playing diabloe 2 when I was younger, I was so unfamiliar with real time combat, it took some getting used to. My first turn based RPG was Chrono Trigger, and because of that game, that kind of games will always have a lot of meaning to me. Decisions do make a big part of the tactics, like in Mario RPG you could get easily screwed by not making the right decision, which is exactly what could also be said about action rpgs like the aforementioned examples... what a funny thing.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I think my first real-time combat was Legend of Zelda. The first game I mean. So that was right around the time I was playing Dragon Warrior/Quest. Now that I think about, I'm not sure which I played first. I've played DW more because I play it on emulator every now and then.

5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm yeah, come to think of it, LoZ was one of the first real-time combat games with some RPG into them, like Link to the Past, with all the inventory, spells and upgrades to get. It was very simple, but very enjoyable!

6. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally I really liked the sort of turn based meets action based combat in the super mario RPG series.Thats probably because of me being bad at both reacting quickly and planning ahead,so in super mario RPG Im being given an opportunity to correct myself if I screw up on one of the stages.

7. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Usually I'm not a big fan of turn based Rpg that are not like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars, Wargroove. I prefer when the positionning of your unit is as important as their abilities.