1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Acid planet? [Nightly]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by eksynn, Aug 1, 2015.

1. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

I forgot where nightly discussions go

but i was wondering, i just re-started Nightly last night (go figure.) and the first planet i spawned in was an acid ocean planet.
    was that random? is it a thing now? the planet doesn't even have any wood trees from what i noticed (as far as i managed to go just before dying, to either side)... making me effectively stuck on the very SECOND tutorial quest of the game >.<

please help D; how do i change my starting planet?

PS: i checked, i don't have any mods that change starting planets.

anymore.

EDIT: so for those who came by this thread, it's already been answered - they're working on updating terrain generation, background (parallax) and environment on all planets of all tiers. it's easier and faster for chucklefish to work on these by just setting the planet they spawn in to what planet they're working on.

to get around this, for now, at least until they're done - or if it happens in some other planet, simply cheat your way through tutorial if you made a new character and fly to a new planet. either that or add a radiation (or whatever suit you need) suit to your ship by doing the following:

/admin
    followed by
    /aiaction {"action":"enableTech", "techName":"radiationprotectionTech"}
    followed by /admin again to toggle admin mode off

enjoy; have fun ^^

Another Edit: @Akre had another interesting suggestion if you're willing to go the modded-game way

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Try getting to the bottom of the world and harvesting those spiny traps. They should drop wood.

3. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Remember that the nightlies are primarily for testing new features, so progression is very often broken or locked in some way without cheating. For the past few weeks, the devs have been systematically going through planet types and updating them with updated structures, terrain gen, parallax, the works. As they do this, they set the planet type they're working on to be the starting planet, presumably for easy testing of their additions and changes. They are currently updating the acidic planets, so that's the current starter planet type.

4. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

kinda hard to do that without a breathing suit. or even a radioactive suit.

oh. that makes absolutely perfect sense lol and i did not know they did that.

thanks x.x guess i'll just have to wait lol

... or cheat.

5. justbeast

justbeast Industrial Terraformer

It's not cheating, on nightly :) Much of the time, it's impossible to progress without /admin mode.

eksynn likes this.
  6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Nightly is not meant for playing
    Nightly is what Devs use to experiment with the game

It is far easier for devs to start on the planet they are working on, then having to constantly "travel" to the planet

7. MasterMinsrel399

MasterMinsrel399 Tentacle Wrangler

I don't own starbound but I want it =3

8. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

heheh yeah i hadn't thought of it at the time xD makes total sense now
    why are you on a starbound forum if you don't own it? o. O or do you not own it but play somehow?
    a friend's copy?
    a copy of a friend's copy?
    (since i hear it's not against any rules to share a copy of your game)

9. Dr Djinn

Dr Djinn Void-Bound Voyager

If you want to live on the toxic starting planet you can use:

/ admin
    then
    /aiaction {"action":"enableTech", "techName":"radiationprotectionTech"}
    This lets you go to your AI and enable the radiation nano suit

I thought it was kind of fun starting on such a harsh planet. :p

10. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

thanks ^^ i just cheated a wooden crafting table to continue the quest and flew away lol -- i'll go back to it eventually to explore

and i agree xD i just wish i didn't die from lack of oxygen AND excess radiation >.< lol

11. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

True, but then that still throws off your game progression since you're starting in a Radioactive T2 (or is it T3?) system. I use /admin and just repair my Thruster and FTL, then fly to a Gentle system. Fuel is free as /admin. But I've done the whole core fragment thing so many times I usually skip it anyway.

12. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine